Making a Tempurpedic Firmer?

kevwun

We got a tempurpedic mattress about 3 years ago.  At first I really liked it, but then it softened and I sag in too much now.  I wake up with lower back pretty regularly and usually sleep much better when we're traveling.  If we spin it around, it's better for a week or 2 and then it's start fucking with my back again  The mattress pops back up when no one is lying on it, so I don't believe it is a warranty replacement candidate.  Anyone had any luck with adding a topper or anything to make it firmer?  I don't believe I will ever spend a lot on a mattress again.  There is just no way to know if you will like a mattress until you have slept on it for a few months.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

We got a tempurpedic mattress about 3 years ago.  At first I really liked it, but then it softened and I sag in too much now.  I wake up with lower back pretty regularly and usually sleep much better when we're traveling.  If we spin it around, it's better for a week or 2 and then it's start fucking with my back again  The mattress pops back up when no one is lying on it, so I don't believe it is a warranty replacement candidate.  Anyone had any luck with adding a topper or anything to make it firmer?  I don't believe I will ever spend a lot on a mattress again.  There is just no way to know if you will like a mattress until you have slept on it for a few months.

Get rid of the foundation, and just go with slats.  The "let's put a caving sleep surface on top of another caving foundation to improve our spines" mentality may have been a bit more guided by convention than we'd like to admit.  

19 hours ago, Lobo said:

Get rid of the foundation, and just go with slats.  The "let's put a caving sleep surface on top of another caving foundation to improve our spines" mentality may have been a bit more guided by convention than we'd like to admit.  

This is interesting, we have the tempurpedic foundation.  I wonder if a sheet of plywood between the mattress and foundation might help?

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

This is interesting, we have the tempurpedic foundation.  I wonder if a sheet of plywood between the mattress and foundation might help?

This is what I would do. Seems to me a topper would only make the problem worse.

What level Tempurpedic, i.e. medium, firm, soft. . .?

When I was single I bought a "soft" Simmons Comforpedic queen . . that's still the softest, most amazing mattress I've ever had.  Then GF (now wife) thought it was too soft so she bought a Tempurpedic firm king which is what we sleep on now.  It's been broken in for 3 years and is still on the firm side.

Tossed expensive Temp "extra firm" after less than 2 years for the exact same reason.  Went to one of the 200 mattress stores within one mile of the house and got a traditional mattress "extra firm" for a fraction of the cost and a huge warranty against any sagging.  3 years in and its still like brand new.  Can't do the sponge

+1.  We bought ours (king size, I believe it was firm) in late 2012. I noticed it smooshing down more about two years ago. I also have occasional low back pain when I wake up in the morning and have to stretch it out before going to work. I completely sympathize with feeling more refreshed waking up in a hotel, especially if it’s a high end one with good furniture.