Matrix 4??

d2o

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'll defend 2 as being fun (but I imagine its aged horribly with the cgi), but 3 was just awful.

this right here!   2 was tolerable.    3 was a huge stank piece of shit!

19 hours ago, d2o said:

I saw Trinity recently .    They gonna need a separate CG just for her.   The years haven't been kind and she wasnt that great looking to start with.

She looks a bit old and worn down, but makeup and lighting can fix that kind of problem...If she had gained 200 pounds, well, that can't be fixed quite so easily. 

I'm only 'in' for this if it starts out with Neo waking up and II and III were all a dream.

• 5 months later...

Matrix 2 had some good moments. The fight in the staircase against the minions with ancient Chinese weapons was cool. The “burly brawl” kinda looks like shit now, but it was groundbreaking at the time. The highway chases were cool, although I hated that they sold out to Cadillac. The revelation with “the architect” was kinda cool. Matrix 3 doesn’t have a single scene that I’d care to rewatch.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Matrix 2 had some good moments. The fight in the staircase against the minions with ancient Chinese weapons was cool. The “burly brawl” kinda looks like shit now, but it was groundbreaking at the time. The highway chases were cool, although I hated that they sold out to Cadillac. The revelation with “the architect” was kinda cool. Matrix 3 doesn’t have a single scene that I’d care to rewatch.

There were no good moments unless you forgot about the first Matrix where Neo became "The One" and could operate outside the constructs of the Matrix. If all you care about is visual stimulus with flashing lights, fast action, quick cuts, BOOM-BOOM-FLASH-BANG-WOW!! then yeah, you probably thought that was cool. It wasn't. It was trash. 

From a story standpoint, the Matrix sequel should've spent most of its time in the real world and only had Neo going back inside at the very end. The Matrix sequel was just a money grab trying to one-up the visual effects of the first movie. Did you like the fight between Neo and Smith? Let's have Neo fight 20 Smiths! But at the end of the first Matrix Neo didn't have to fight Smith anymore. He could simply destroy him. Because he's The One. So everything about that story was bullshit and totally uninteresting. 

The Wachowskis had exactly one good movie in them:  A futuristic retelling of the Christ mythos. And they nailed it.  Everyone of their follow up movies have sucked, because, well, they only had one movie in them.  So did Michael Cimino.  That's okay, some people are meant to make one really transcendent piece of art. 

I would argue that George Lucas really only had about 1.5 good movies in him.  If Lawrence Kasden and Irvin Kershner hadn't done Empire, Star Wars might have just been a blip.

Edited by Bateshorn

16 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The Wachowskis had exactly one good movie in them:  A futuristic retelling of the Christ mythos. And they nailed it.  Everyone of their follow up movies have sucked, because, well, they only had one movie in them.  So did Michael Cimino.  That's okay, some people are meant to make one really transcendent piece of art. 

I would argue that George Lucas really only had about 1.5 good movies in him.  If Lawrence Kasden and Irvin Kershner hadn't done Empire, Star Wars might have just been a blip.

didnt they do v for vendetta?  because that movie is whipass.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

didnt they do v for vendetta?  because that movie is whipass.

Directed by James McTiegue. They wrote a screen play based on a legendary Alan Moore graphic novel.  They actually did the adaptation before shooting the first Matrix movie.  I thought the screenplay was the weakest part of V.  The directing, acting, and staging were excellent.  You usually don't need to do much to Alan Moore other than just adapt him sensible and let his genius do the heavy lifting.  It's when you start heavily rewriting him that trouble starts.

Edited by Bateshorn

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

There were no good moments unless you forgot about the first Matrix where Neo became "The One" and could operate outside the constructs of the Matrix. If all you care about is visual stimulus with flashing lights, fast action, quick cuts, BOOM-BOOM-FLASH-BANG-WOW!! then yeah, you probably thought that was cool. It wasn't. It was trash. 

From a story standpoint, the Matrix sequel should've spent most of its time in the real world and only had Neo going back inside at the very end. The Matrix sequel was just a money grab trying to one-up the visual effects of the first movie. Did you like the fight between Neo and Smith? Let's have Neo fight 20 Smiths! But at the end of the first Matrix Neo didn't have to fight Smith anymore. He could simply destroy him. Because he's The One. So everything about that story was bullshit and totally uninteresting. 

Well, based on this report I'm glad I never saw the sequels.  I was never really interested simply because I thought the story was pretty much perfect with the first one.  And like you said, if he is "the one" can't he just destroy the Matrix making all of this other stuff unnecessary?  I'll be interested in watching this thread for reports of the new movie because I cold be persuaded to watch if it isn't required that I watch the two sequels to understand it.

Directed by James McTiegue. They wrote a screen play based on a legendary Alan Moore graphic novel.  They actually did the adaptation before shooting the first Matrix movie.  I thought the screenplay was the weakest part of V.  The directing, acting, and staging were excellent.  You usually don't need to do much to Alan Moore other than just adapt him sensible and let his genius do the heavy lifting.  It's when you start heavily rewriting him that trouble starts.

There was a rumor that they actually did direct it but there were credit disputes or something that prevented them from putting their name on it so then McT got the billing. Don’t know if that was ever verified or debunked.

43 minutes ago, Hate said:

And like you said, if he is "the one" can't he just destroy the Matrix making all of this other stuff unnecessary?

Except that being “the one” turned out to be...different than what they thought it was.  Look, if you never watched the sequels, don’t bother. They are among the most disappointing sequels in the history of movies. They have some eye candy, but that’s about it.

Edited by XYZ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I can not emphasize strongly enough that if you've seen Matrix 1, stop.  Don't go any further and you will be happy.

Well, that underground armageddon Rave scene was pretty hip.  Techno is the right soundtrack isn't it?

Can you look like you're homeless? Can you run all night up and down hills without looking tired? Want to make 124 bucks doing so? Come and be an extra!

https://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/matrix-4-extras-sf-project-ice-cream-keanu-15056971.php

San Francisco has been on Keanu Watch ever since rumors first surfaced that actor Keanu Reeves would be in town to shoot "Project Ice Cream," a code name that has officially melted away to reveal itself as the next Matrix movie. Naturally the movie needs extras, but if you want to step up for the job, you'll need stamina. And also a very insensitive wardrobe.

Dwyer Casting posted a listing in late January announcing a call for extras, and last night in an email obtained by SFGATE, the group detailed exactly who they're looking for. The call for the roles of "additional runners" requires availability all afternoon and night from today through Sunday. But be warned, extras will be "RUNNING the same blocks and hills over and over again WITHOUT looking Tired [sic]!"

Yeah, f that.