YouTube shooting

Swam@Texas

2 hours ago, Swam@Texas said:

How is it that not a single person at YouTube got this on video? I envisioned a thousand Millennials running for their lives with their cellphones on "record."

They may have, but it recorded the shit running down their legs so they didn’t post.  

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So she was an animal rights activist that was upset that she had multiple accounts demonetized for posting graphic images. 

8 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Edited by udaydanceparty

16 minutes ago, udaydanceparty said:

So she was an animal rights activist that was upset that she had multiple accounts demonetized for posting graphic images. 

Normally I am really into (attempted) banging of foreign chicks, but if she had asked me that I would have to strongly consider placing her in the "not sure" category...

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Normally I am really into (attempted) banging of foreign chicks, but if she had asked me that I would have to strongly consider placing her in the "not sure" category...

Oh, I don’t know about that. I’ve watched some of her workout videos and was quite intrigued.  I would have banged her while her rabbit watched. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ajax said:

Was not expecting a vegan animal rights activist as the shooter.

Of course not. Our weapons are fear, surprise, and the dizzy feeling you get as your blood sugar drops and you can't think what to eat because your synapses don't work any faster than those of a cow.

6 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Of course not. Our weapons are fear, surprise, and the dizzy feeling you get as your blood sugar drops and you can't think what to eat because your synapses don't work any faster than those of a cow.

The shooter was going to eat the victims. Shit went wrong but that was the plan.

Interesting to see how the discussion appears to be focused on Google/YouTube's policies for monetization of advertising for user created content. Crazy or not, she has been extremely successful in bringing to light an issue that was relatively unknown to most people. She has become a somewhat sympathetic figure and gun access to a crazy person is not a part of the larger dialogue.

This is an aside and not necessarily related to this shooting:

I really think the narrative when shootings happen (especially mass school shootings) should be that it reaffirms the person was a crazy nutjob psycho weird freak and that is why they were a loner. Instead of glorifying the event and getting sidetracked into a discussion on what the definition of AR is and what color/silencer/mag/ mods are allowed and not allowed, make the focus on how fucked up the person was and that's why everyone hated them to begin with.

It seems to me these individuals have a mindset to "show" everyone they shouldn't have been disrespected/picked on/had no friends/etc. and make them pay for it when instead the fact they are batfuck crazy enough to shoot people is 100% absolute justification for why nobody liked their crazy ass in the first place.

If you take away the perceived glamor and glorification in the media and address it as simply they proved that everyone who didn't like them in the first place was right, maybe it reduces the motivation somewhat. Maybe not. But there definitely seems to be a "I'll show them" mentality and maybe we can change that thought process in how its reported.

As an example the Ars Technica article blaming YouTube and avoiding the fact this lady was batshit crazy and decided to shoot people.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/how-youtubes-adpocalypse-may-have-figured-in-its-tuesday-campus-shooting/?comments=1

Edited by HoustonHorn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Interesting to see how the discussion appears to be focused on Google/YouTube's policies for monetization of advertising for user created content. Crazy or not, she has been extremely successful in bringing to light an issue that was relatively unknown to most people. She has become a somewhat sympathetic figure and gun access to a crazy person is not a part of the larger dialogue.

This is an aside and not necessarily related to this shooting:

I really think the narrative when shootings happen (especially mass school shootings) should be that it reaffirms the person was a crazy nutjob psycho weird freak and that is why they were a loner. Instead of glorifying the event and getting sidetracked into a discussion on what the definition of AR is and what color/silencer/mag/ mods are allowed and not allowed, make the focus on how fucked up the person was and that's why everyone hated them to begin with.

It seems to me these individuals have a mindset to "show" everyone they shouldn't have been disrespected/picked on/had no friends/etc. and make them pay for it when instead the fact they are batfuck crazy enough to shoot people is 100% absolute justification for why nobody liked their crazy ass in the first place.

If you take away the perceived glamor and glorification in the media and address it as simply they proved that everyone who didn't like them in the first place was right, maybe it reduces the motivation somewhat. Maybe not. But there definitely seems to be a "I'll show them" mentality and maybe we can change that thought process in how its reported.

Newscasters should hold their hand up to their forehead in the "L" shape while giving the details of the event.

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Newscasters should hold their hand up to their forehead in the "L" shape while giving the details of the event.

I think in this case and others, shaming the shooter may help prevent others from seeing this as a means to make their point. Straight up call them what they are which is crazy. That's why their viewpoints are invalid, that's why people don't like them, that's why they are outcasts or loners, that's why their significant other left them.... They justify everything everybody said about them by being crazy enough to go shoot people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoustonHorn said:

I think in this case and others, shaming the shooter may help prevent others from seeing this as a means to make their point. Straight up call them what they are which is crazy. That's why their viewpoints are invalid, that's why people don't like them, that's why they are outcasts or loners, that's why their significant other left them.... They justify everything everybody said about them by being crazy enough to go shoot people.

This is yet another case where the blurring of the line between "news" and "editorializing" hurts.  If things functioned as they should, you'd have the news report of the event, the shooter, her motive, etc. -- you know, the facts.

THEN, you could have an editorial or comment segment, where someone (one of the anchors, a special guest, whatever) comments on what a pathetic loser this person is.  Yes, we need to help folks who may be struggling with mental illness.  But she thinks that this will "show us," etc. -- no, it just shows us that a loser she is.  And anyone else out there thinking of doing something like this?  It will just show what a loser YOU are, too.  Something like that.

Create a separation between fact reporting and opinion stating, and we'd all be better for it.

This is yet another case where the blurring of the line between "news" and "editorializing" hurts.  If things functioned as they should, you'd have the news report of the event, the shooter, her motive, etc. -- you know, the facts.
THEN, you could have an editorial or comment segment, where someone (one of the anchors, a special guest, whatever) comments on what a pathetic loser this person is.  Yes, we need to help folks who may be struggling with mental illness.  But she thinks that this will "show us," etc. -- no, it just shows us that a loser she is.  And anyone else out there thinking of doing something like this?  It will just show what a loser YOU are, too.  Something like that.
Create a separation between fact reporting and opinion stating, and we'd all be better for it.
Dating myself, but I vaguely recall when TV news was done like that.

It should be discussed that no matter how an individual feels they are slighted there is never a justification for murder. At the end of the day, that's what the issue is. I don't know why this common sense fact can't be stated over and over. We all know people with challenges. But this idea that if we know the motive of the killer\ attempted murderer that somehow it will explain why and justify their response is ludicrous. Killing someone or attempting to kill someone else unless done in self defense is not justified. 

I wonder how much this latest crackpot put her family thru over the years. Quite a bit i would imagine. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Where do you think we live, some sort of utopia? There is no blurring anymore, they are one and the same. That said, I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

The problem is that more and more people are seeing violence as a means to justify themselves and their feelings and I think the media plays a role in that based on their reporting. There is a growing segment of the population that is unhealthy and depressed. Whether that shows itself in an increase in drug/alcohol dependence, overdose/suicide, violence against others, it is all a result of something similar and it seems to affect Americans disproportionately (and unfortunately overly violently due to easy gun access).

So why is the land of opportunity the land of depression for so many? I think there are a huge number of issues that can be discussed as to the WHY people are depressed and unhappy and America is the forefront of that epidemic, but that's another discussion.

It takes a crazy person to kill other people in cold blood to make a point or to justify their own unhappiness because they perceive people are treating them unfairly. Stop sugarcoating it and take away the potential motivation from others. Fuck, we have a thread about how many letters from women the guy in Florida is getting. That sympathy is MOTIVATION for other people that feel they are in a similar unfair situation.

Put an end to that motivation and start working on the underlying issues.

• Like 1

Just now, HoustonHorn said:

Where do you think we live, some sort of utopia? There is no blurring anymore, they are one and the same. That said, I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

The problem is that more and more people are seeing violence as a means to justify themselves and their feelings and I think the media plays a role in that based on their reporting. There is a growing segment of the population that is unhealthy and depressed. Whether that shows itself in an increase in drug/alcohol dependence, overdose/suicide, violence against others, it is all a result of something similar and it seems to affect Americans disproportionately (and unfortunately overly violently due to easy gun access).

So why is the land of opportunity the land of depression for so many? I think there are a huge number of issues that can be discussed as to the WHY people are depressed and unhappy and America is the forefront of that epidemic, but that's another discussion.

It takes a crazy person to kill other people in cold blood to make a point or to justify their own unhappiness because they perceive people are treating them unfairly. Stop sugarcoating it and take away the potential motivation from others. Fuck, we have a thread about how many letters from women the guy in Florida is getting. That sympathy is MOTIVATION for other people that feel they are in a similar unfair situation.

Put an end to that motivation and start working on the underlying issues.

We've always had sad and desperate people.  Depression/being dysfunctional etc. are nothing new.

What's new is instant, broad-spectrum coverage and attention.  As I was watching (yep, guilty) coverage of the Youtube shooting as it was unfolding, and as we realized that it was some dumb gal who hurt 4 and offed herself (at first thinking it was domestic violence, now knowing she was just unhinged), I thought about how this would have been covered 20 years ago.

The truth is, most of us wouldn't even know about it.  It would be a 1 paragraph story in the "other national news" section of the paper, buried on page 11 of 14.  "Woman wounds four, kills self at internet company.  Motive appears to be frustration with company policies applied to users."

Nutbars wacked themselves and maybe another person or two ALL THE TIME back in the day.  News traveled more slowly.  And as a result, it wasn't as frantic, breathless, and often WRONG.  When the first story is published 12 hours after the event, the facts have settled down, and are more easily reported accurately.  And we realize that it's pretty much a non-story except for those folks immediately affected.

If someone gets pissed at the billing practices of the Peoria Surgical Center, walks in, and kills a receptionist, wounds a nurse, and then offs themself....why do any of us outside of Peoria really care?  I mean, it sucks, it's tragic, etc.  But "sucky and tragic" happens thousands of times a day.  I'm sure a kid died in a car wreck somewhere today -- do we need breaking news coverage of it?

So crazy lady's family told police that she was unhinged and could hurt someone.  But they didn't seemingly say the magic words correctly to the point that the police would have probable cause to search her car, hopefully find the gun and prevent this from happening.

God knows I don't want the police to have any more power than they do have but does anyone have a clue as to how we tighten up the verbiage of family/friends complaints in order for the police to at least be able to search her car/residence/person and see if there's any proof that violence is imminent?  

At what point do we all agree that if your parent, sibling, partner say I think they're dangerous do we believe them and do more than a cursory knock and a couple of questions.  All the laws in the world are irrelevant if no one actually investigates these warnings.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We've always had sad and desperate people.  Depression/being dysfunctional etc. are nothing new.

What's new is instant, broad-spectrum coverage and attention.  As I was watching (yep, guilty) coverage of the Youtube shooting as it was unfolding, and as we realized that it was some dumb gal who hurt 4 and offed herself (at first thinking it was domestic violence, now knowing she was just unhinged), I thought about how this would have been covered 20 years ago.

The truth is, most of us wouldn't even know about it.  It would be a 1 paragraph story in the "other national news" section of the paper, buried on page 11 of 14.  "Woman wounds four, kills self at internet company.  Motive appears to be frustration with company policies applied to users."

Nutbars wacked themselves and maybe another person or two ALL THE TIME back in the day.  News traveled more slowly.  And as a result, it wasn't as frantic, breathless, and often WRONG.  When the first story is published 12 hours after the event, the facts have settled down, and are more easily reported accurately.  And we realize that it's pretty much a non-story except for those folks immediately affected.

If someone gets pissed at the billing practices of the Peoria Surgical Center, walks in, and kills a receptionist, wounds a nurse, and then offs themself....why do any of us outside of Peoria really care?  I mean, it sucks, it's tragic, etc.  But "sucky and tragic" happens thousands of times a day.  I'm sure a kid died in a car wreck somewhere today -- do we need breaking news coverage of it?

I mostly agree, but I do think the level of unhappiness and depression is growing today compared to yesteryear. Much of it driven by social media/instant news/instant gratification/etc. which is being led by the US for the most part. In the past people have posted alarming reports about the unhappiness and depression of young kids due to social media. This is due to a variety of reasons and I don't want to derail the discussion here but it gets to the root cause that does need to be addressed. Those kids aren't going to magically snap out of it and be happy. A vast majority will grow up unhappy and disenfranchised and live out relatively unhappy, unsatisfied lives with a one, two or three different spouses and then teach their kids those same feelings of despair/anger/unhappiness.

We aren't going to stop social media/youtube/shitty 24-hour news. Those are already out there and not going to be reigned back in. But I do think we need to look at the growing resentment, despair, depression that is taking place. And then I think we need to work to identify individuals who are suffering from this and also potentially dangerous (this ladies family told police she was likely to hurt people at YouTube) and limit their access to weapons.

And we need to work at identifying what is causing this wave of depression. I disagree it has always been this bad and its only because news is reporting it. I think it is increasing and now is the time to look at ways of fixing the underlying issues.

In the meantime, though, let's call crazy crazy and take away the potential justification others may be looking for.

So crazy lady's family told police that she was unhinged and could hurt someone.  But they didn't seemingly say the magic words correctly to the point that the police would have probable cause to search her car, hopefully find the gun and prevent this from happening.
God knows I don't want the police to have any more power than they do have but does anyone have a clue as to how we tighten up the verbiage of family/friends complaints in order for the police to at least be able to search her car/residence/person and see if there's any proof that violence is imminent?  
At what point do we all agree that if your parent, sibling, partner say I think they're dangerous do we believe them and do more than a cursory knock and a couple of questions.  All the laws in the world are irrelevant if no one actually investigates these warnings.
I'm more worried about over-eager cops. You hear the stories about people calling the cops saying "please check in on my son. I'm worried about him." only to have the cops shoot and kill the son when he acts erratic.

I can deal with the occasional crazy vegan animal lover crossfit nutjob.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I would imagine having a real comprehensive way to handle mental illness would be a good start. Then we could actually have a real discussion with organizations like the ACLU about what what warrants a 5150 hold. I mean with Nick Cruz...there were multiple people calling police even the TH I saying this guy is going to kill someone. With vegan cross fit YouTube vendetta lady her own parents felt that at 38 she was a threat to the YouTube company. Both slip thru the cracks and many dead or seriously wounded. Cops called and investigate and say nothing they could do beyond a wellness check. ✔ accomplished. And people are dead or wounded. 

This might Have Been Prevented. Damn. 

7 minutes ago, ajax said:

I'm more worried about over-eager cops. You hear the stories about people calling the cops saying "please check in on my son. I'm worried about him." only to have the cops shoot and kill the son when he acts erratic.

I can deal with the occasional crazy vegan animal lover crossfit nutjob.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Part of the problem. There's a lot of factors.