Is the tide turning?

Chult86

2 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Why do the hive posters use this single sentence paragraph form?  There aren't character limits here.  It doesn't make your points more salient or add content by taking up more space.  I'm sure you all do not write in this style anywhere else.  It seems like some bizarre way to subconsciously identify and signal.  .       

Separation of different ideas makes it easier for skimmers. If you are fully reading every paragraph, my condolences.

3 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Why do the hive posters use this single sentence paragraph form?  There aren't character limits here.  It doesn't make your points more salient or add content by taking up more space.  I'm sure you all do not write in this style anywhere else.  It seems like some bizarre way to subconsciously identify and signal.     

Why

Do

You

Seem

to

Care

So

Much

Why do the hive posters use this single sentence paragraph form?  There aren't character limits here.  It doesn't make your points more salient or add content by taking up more space.  I'm sure you all do not write in this style anywhere else.  It seems like some bizarre way to subconsciously identify and signal.  .       

this post is amazingly salient to my earlier point.

"hive posters" requires the assumption of some liberal cabal that needs to validate and signal to one another that we are all part of the secret liberal society, and that we are in a safe space here. we can use this single sentence paragraph form to TURN THE TIDE against the conservatives! this is the second battleground of influence, right behind the classroom!

we'll do it one single sentence paragraph at a time!

ONWARD LIBERAL SOLDIERS

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

IMO the democrats should start messaging “depression” instead of “recession”. 

Disagree. Perfect example of Democrats getting overeager and overextending, which is one of the reasons Trump is seemingly always able to wiggle out of things. Recession is good enough and close enough to reality to avoid the boy who cried wolf image that the Dems and the media have done such a good job of giving themselves.

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Why do the hive posters use this single sentence paragraph form?  There aren't character limits here.  It doesn't make your points more salient or add content by taking up more space.  I'm sure you all do not write in this style anywhere else.  It seems like some bizarre way to subconsciously identify and signal.     

Welcome to the liberal hive mind brother

I see that you like to notice patterns

and symbology

I noticed that your profile abbreviation is AOC

I look forward to seeing you at our next AOC + 3 rally

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

it's not like we can use the secret handshake over the interwebs.

12 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

It's mostly because we know that simpleton hicks have incredibly short attention spans and are too stupid to read more than two sentences without a mental break. You're welcome.

Edited by BradInATX

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Agree with all that.  I guess the argument I was trying to make is the only way to undo 30+ years of asymmetrical polarization by the Republicans is to pull the middle back to the left. 

That does need to happen. That process begins by winning everywhere. Statehouses, governorships, both houses of Congress and the WH. And when you win, take note of how the GOP got us here. DO NOT handwring over the excesses over your base/fringe. Allow the radicals to flank the old center.

After you win, then you can consider the excesses of radicals. Not until you win, though. The neoliberal order is being drowned by a populist wave. Ride that to victory.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Oh shit. 

He's on to us.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this post is amazingly salient to my earlier point.

"hive posters" requires the assumption of some liberal cabal that needs to validate and signal to one another that we are all part of the secret liberal society, and that we are in a safe space here. we can use this single sentence paragraph form to TURN THE TIDE against the conservatives! this is the second battleground of influence, right behind the classroom!

we'll do it one single sentence paragraph at a time!

ONWARD LIBERAL SOLDIERS

And yet 3/4 of the posts on this board are people who range between center-left and far-left arguing amongst ourselves. Where the 10 or so "you made me do it!" Trump voters have the same 5-6 talking points that they recycle over and over in lockstep.

Huh.

You poor, persecuted Republicans. Need a safe space?

Edited by BradInATX

“You are all hive-minded” says the guy who believes God became a carpenter and defeated evil by getting Himself killed, solely because he heard that myth from a collection of other people who believe that myth solely because they heard it from other people.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

And yet 3/4 of the posts on this board are people who range between center-left and far-left arguing amongst ourselves. Where the 10 or so "you made me do it!" Trump voters have the same 5-6 talking points that they recycle over and over in lockstep.

Huh.

i would argue center-right to far-left arguing amongst ourselves. 

the problem to the "you made me do it!" trump voters is that, to them, the center right is far left. it's the strangest thing.

we have a multimillionaire doctor that posts here who hates trump, and he's suddenly part of the liberal cabal hive poster model?

lulz.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i would argue center-right to far-left arguing amongst ourselves. 

the problem to the "you made me do it!" trump voters is that, to them, the center right is far left. it's the strangest thing.

we have a multimillionaire doctor that posts here who hates trump, and he's suddenly part of the liberal cabal hive poster model?

lulz.

Fair enough. If they have to come to terms with the fact that there is a center-right, but all of the center-right thinks they're idiots, then they have to accept the fact that they're basically a far-right group of lunatics. All alone on an intellectual island full of racists, simpletons, and out-of-touch old people, where all of the free thinkers and rational movers and shakers have bailed out. Must suck to know that, even if you try to make yourself believe that's not the case.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Not saying it's fair. But it's reality.

The depression rhetoric is to fuck with Trump.  Get Trump to say, “We’re not going into a depression, the democrats are lying.”  Or something like that.

You’ve moved him into an even more defensive position and intensified the political damage of a recession that looks all but certain to be on the horizon. 

54 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's the same reason the right completely flipped out in reaction to the Times' 1619 project, which is fantastic journalism and actually demonstrates the enormous patriotism of black Americans. Yet they interpret it as a liberal assault on the foundations of our country because it adds a perspective that they're terrified of acknowledging.   Their patriotism is so brittle and weak that they have to fully believe in the myths that they've created to sustain it, and they're terrified of anything that might challenge those myths. 

I would argue that the freakout is enabled by widespread ignorance of the basic facts of American History, but either way.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The depression rhetoric is to fuck with Trump.  Get Trump to say, “We’re not going into a depression, the democrats are lying.”  Or something like that.

You’ve moved him into an even more defensive position and intensified the political damage of a recession that looks all but certain to be on the horizon. 

Most people, even stupid ones, would be able to see through the fact that we're not in a depression and people aren't eating sawdust, and then it'll be another case of fake news, etc. 

16 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

This is a very petty, and quite frankly, extremely pathetic post. What happened to you, Axiom? I recall from the other site, you were once quite a thoughtful poster with verbose missives concerning 1) philosophy, 2) religion, and 3) logic. Now, you've regressed into something that I thought I'd never see: a partisan finger-wagger doing your utmost to defend an indefensibly corrupt president and party who, at every turn, absolutely betray the very notion of your three previous favorite topics of board discussion. Is it because you're starting to feel the tide turn as the original poster speculates? Does your irrational support for them override your previously espoused intellectual interests? Or, have you just lost interest and now prefer to simply play the game of denial through distraction by not addressing the topic that your fellow travelers seem to revel? Your refusal to address the subject matter of this thread and choice to attack the posting styles of "the Hive" or cabal (as if it were some sort of *conspiracy*) is that you've determined the best tactic is to wallow in the muck of ignorance with those who share your political leanings.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Most people, even stupid ones, would be able to see through the fact that we're not in a depression and people aren't eating sawdust, and then it'll be another case of fake news, etc. 

You underestimate our stupidity.  Half this country thinks we’re being invaded at the southern border right now by caravans funded by George Soros. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Axiom of Choice said:

The hive is high, but I'm holding on; I'm going to be your number one.  

I would like to apologize for disparaging the single sentence paragraph style, which is not in any way a type of identification or signalling by the nonexistent hive, nor is it a way to give simple statements of belief without any support.  

This statement is my statement of belief that statements of belief are more powerful if given in single sentence paragraphs.

Streaks on the china, never mattered before, who cares.

Look at that paragraph structure...  Cabal, you know what to do!

Image result for one of us gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The OP is asking the wrong question.  The question of whether Trump will win or lose doesn't matter.  The real question is will he ever leave office.  I am pretty sure the answer is no, and that the current GOP will support him eagerly because party comes before anything, even the constitution and democracy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I much prefer to discuss the topics you mentioned over politics; I'd be happy to talk about them whenever you like.  Start a thread, join one of the other threads I've started, or shoot me a PM.  But why does the fact that I mock a distinct posting style make you jump to the conclusion that I am a partisan hack or that I care to defend Trump?  I didn't vote for Trump, I don't like Trump, I don't like the Republicans, I won't vote for Trump in this next election.  Some will think otherwise merely because I object to this forum becoming little more than an extension of mindless validation-seeking twitter rants. The nonexistent hive on this forum categorizes anyone who does not passionately repeat the required dogma as a Trump supporter.  There is a simple assessment of one of us or not one of us, if anyone says something we don't like, then not one of us and therefore a Trump supporter and Republican partisan hack.  Posters will repeatably claim "I'm not a Republican and don't like Trump" and they will be met with "That's exactly what a closet Trump supporter would say," like you all are on some crazed witch hunt.  I've been accused of all sorts of atrocities and over the top nonsense because I don't always fall lockstep in line with the group think.  So have many other long time posters.  But you think I am the one who has descended as a poster. 

You act as if the delineation is subtle.  Sorry, but when a poster (for instance) openly deflects attention away from heinous daily bullshit committed by Trump to focus on a mythological smear against a young female representative (of color, ROC is now trademarked by me), then fuck that.  Don't equivocate.  Just don't do it.  You're smarter than that.

I much prefer to discuss the topics you mentioned over politics; I'd be happy to talk about them whenever you like.  Start a thread, join one of the other threads I've started, or shoot me a PM.  But why does the fact that I mock a distinct posting style make you jump to the conclusion that I am a partisan hack or that I care to defend Trump?  I didn't vote for Trump, I don't like Trump, I don't like the Republicans, I won't vote for Trump in this next election.  Some will think otherwise merely because I object to this forum becoming little more than an extension of mindless validation-seeking twitter rants. The nonexistent hive on this forum categorizes anyone who does not passionately repeat the required dogma as a Trump supporter.  There is a simple assessment of one of us or not one of us, if anyone says something we don't like, then not one of us and therefore a Trump supporter and Republican partisan hack.  Posters will repeatably claim "I'm not a Republican and don't like Trump" and they will be met with "That's exactly what a closet Trump supporter would say," like you all are on some crazed witch hunt.  I've been accused of all sorts of atrocities and over the top nonsense because I don't always fall lockstep in line with the group think.  So have many other long time posters.  But you think I am the one who has descended as a poster. 

How else is someone supposed to react to your off-topic criticism when you don't address the question posed by the OP? Prior to this post, your one and only in this thread was to go off on others by suggesting they were some sort of conspiratorial "hive."

Do you feel like the tide is turning on the president? Why or why not? Defend your thoughts using the data available to us, bolstered with the abundant mental skills you've honed over the years. Meet the high posting standards that you've set for yourself and seek in others. Don't fall to the pathetic depths of folks like Swam who drool over the notion some liberal cabal running this joint.

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

At this point people aren't even insulting the right. We're just pointing out all of the shitty, horrible things Trump says, does, or believes in, and the right just takes it as an insult.

It's because they're thin skinned little bitches.  And that's not an insult, it's a fact.

Edited by Longhornfan1024

I disagree with the premise that a tide ever needed to turn.  Trump was never popular and never would have won the election without "anyone but Hillary" voters and a blank slate, outsider record.  If it was possible to rerun the 2016 election with knowledge of his 2.5 years of terrible record as president, he would almost certainly lose.  The 2018 midterms showed that.  The 2020 democratic candidate will by default be viewed less unfavorably than Hillary and will almost certainly win.

I guess I would agree that by slowing the economy with his idiotic trade war that he has reduced even further his slim shoot-the-moon chances of re-election.

32 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

You need more paragraph returns in here.

2 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Those posts are all examples of gaslighting.  Maybe the sentence structure lends itself to that.

Edited by JBJ

17 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

spacer.png

Haha.  My actual thoughts are that AOC intuitively knows they are poor discourse but didn't take the time to properly critique the reason they were.  Half the posts he quoted don't even use the single sentence paragraph structure or only used it intermittently.

Of course, I'd hate to speak on behalf of AOC.  But I feel we share the complaint that discourse of this board has gone the way of most social media: empty one-liners or equally meaningless rants.  But it's like maybe there's hope.  This thread start out with decent discussion, but then read the last two pages of this thread.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

IMO the democrats should start messaging “depression” instead of “recession”. 

Take this example.  (Sorry to use you Hugo, but you are on the top of this page.  It's also not blatantly dumb, so it makes a good example.)  Like maybe there's a thought in there.  Like a message that the people are depressed (with Trump) even if the economy isn't.  (That is how I read it the first time through).  That could be a strong image.

But maybe not.  Maybe it's just nonsense parroted from twitter.  BradinTx seemed to take it that way.

It's hard to tell sometimes with the single sentence format.

Edited by JBJ

9 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Take this example.  (Sorry to use you Hugo, but you are on the top of this page.  It's also not blatantly dumb, so it makes a good example.)  Like maybe there's a thought in there.  Like a message that the people are depressed (with Trump) even if the economy isn't.  (That is how I read it the first time through).  That could be a strong image.

But maybe not.  Maybe it's just nonsense parroted from twitter.  Hard to tell sometimes with the single sentence format.

what the fuck are you talking about

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I pray that one day all those who profess to be Christians will try to live by the example of love that Christ gave us. That applies especially to Donald Trump and his supporters who have shown that they have no intention of following the example of Christ, but it also applies to those who would characterize everyone who either does not share political beliefs with the Democratic Party or those who reluctantly pulled the lever for Trump in 2016 as the same as his ardent supporters. There seems to be no room for individual thought left in our society. Instead those who are not in lock step with the preferred party are labeled as heretics and a political inquisition is brewing in America.

Are you familiar with Beth Moore? If not, she is very well known for her books in the evangelical community. She has been under fire for the past several years for criticizing Trump's "Access Hollywood" confession as well as his general disregard for basic human decency. She has been under attack by evangelicals for criticizing God's chosen leader and therefore is criticizing God. A respected member of the church is being persecuted by fellow Christians for speaking out against Donald Trump.

Interesting times we live in.

Love that @Anastasis liked this.

"Look, nazis have the White House, the Senate, the judiciary, have established concentration camps, and are talking about setting up a precrime unit, but you guys who are concerned about those things have really just gone so overboard with how loudly you're denouncing them! It's almost as if you think these things are serious and not just part of the game!"

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Love that @Anastasis liked this.

"Look, nazis have the White House, the Senate, the judiciary, have established concentration camps, and are talking about setting up a precrime unit, but you guys who are concerned about those things have really just gone so overboard with how loudly you're denouncing them! It's almost as if you think these things are serious and not just part of the game!"

Gaslighting is just as effective in paragraph format.  I'll have to form a new theory.

3 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Only one of the five posts you quoted does not have a multi-sentence paragraph. What a terrible post.

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

“You are all hive-minded” says the guy who believes God became a carpenter and defeated evil by getting Himself killed, solely because he heard that myth from a collection of other people who believe that myth solely because they heard it from other people.

So much question begging.  Sorry Brick, but God is real and the Bible is true.  

56 minutes ago, JBJ said:

But maybe not.  Maybe it's just nonsense parroted from twitter.  BradinTx seemed to take it that way.

It's hard to tell sometimes with the single sentence format.

The fact that you are unable to divine the clear and obvious meaning of that sentence is not a negative reflection on the writer. It quite clearly and quite obviously means that Hugo believes that the Democrats, for marketing and campaign purposes, should start using the word "depression" instead of "recession" when discussing what they view as an inevitable economic downturn in the near future.

You can certainly disagree with the idea for many valid reasons. Not being able to figure out what he meant, though? That's on you.

• Like 1

The reason is because you attack one side and not the other. Let's review some of the posts in this thread by Republican/Trump posters (they sure as shit are not conservative by any real definition) and some others who are not part of the "hive" pejorative you've taken to using so you don't have to think as much.

moved this summary before the spoiler because of shitty board formatting - Look at all these short sentence posts from Republican and non-partisan posters that appeared in this thread before you made your post about short paragraphs. And yet, for some reason, you failed to notice or include them in your post. The issue here is not with the partisans, it's with your own inability to recognize that you are one of them. You need to look inside and realize that the fact that only one side of the divide bothers you says more about you than it does about them.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:00 AM, Parliament said:

You're not gonna swing votes your way with that attitude, Friend.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:05 AM, JBJ said:

If you ignore the broad use of socialism, he's right.

Many candidates are running a losing battle with their primary message: Universal health insurance and decriminalization of border crossing comes to mind.  With the exception of Biden, the democratic candidates are playing to convince the DNC, not the nation.

...but it is a primary...so idk.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:05 AM, Turkleton said:

Someone needs to go back and retake Government 101 

On 8/21/2019 at 8:56 AM, Turkleton said:

Yes, Tom. I know you love the "Cradle to Grave" bullshit, but that's not the real world. Unicorns and Rainbows are very nice, Tom.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:08 PM, JBJ said:

You are right about Texas, but many states have laws against faithless votes.

Some states even choose bipartisan electors before voting - which I suppose will be something that will need to change.

17 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

I for one am a genuine fan of the "insult them until they vote for us" strategy. 

v7g6u9t.jpg

8 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep both tired and mythological. They're not for the little man, they're for their own power.

7 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The lack of critical thinking on your part other than democrat goooooood, republican baaaad is typical....

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

From the lookout post: "Is the tide turning?"

ec24f4af33c48bef18b460fc03b8b352_XL.jpg

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Clean break is required. For marketing purposes if nothing else. 

Look at all these short sentence posts from Republican and non-partisan posters that appeared in this thread before you made your post about short paragraphs. And yet, for some reason, you failed to notice or include them in your post. The issue here is not with the partisans, it's with your own inability to recognize that you are one of them. You need to look inside and realize that the fact that only one side of the divide bothers you says more about you than it does about them.

Edited by Huckleberry
spoilered for length

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The fact that you are unable to divine the clear and obvious meaning of that sentence is not a negative reflection on the writer. It quite clearly and quite obviously means that Hugo believes that the Democrats, for marketing and campaign purposes, should start using the word "depression" instead of "recession" when discussing what they view as an inevitable economic downturn in the near future.

You can certainly disagree with the idea for many valid reasons. Not being able to figure out what he meant, though? That's on you.

It was a decent example to make the point.

Whereas:

You are right about Texas, but many states have laws against faithless votes.

Some states even choose bipartisan electors before voting - which I suppose will be something that will need to change.

Seems pretty clear, what was your issue with it?

Edited by JBJ