How to Buy a 5-Star Recruit: The Demond Demas Saga

texifornia

2 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Along these lines, is this story really just wealthy dude with gridiron dreams for his son tries to buy QB son the area's best WR?

That's the first half.  The second half is:  Therefore, aggy should get the death penalty.

We need to make sure people realize how central Texags is to Aggie recruiting.

Texags is a partner to and extension of Texas A&M University. Texags staffers are almost all TAMU alumni, and they actively recruit for Texas A&M and they promote A&M targets as Ryan Brauninger's tweets above illustrate. And let's not forget how Texags made a documentary about Brandon Jones when A&M was trying to get him. They really blur the lines of boosters/"jouranlists," particularly since they do work for Texas A&M. I don't think this is how other recruiting sites work with other universities.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

People are already running away with this but it doesn't make sense. 

Assuming that A&M/FWK/Demas/Dunn/Flanagan are all working together, two of the main "facts" here are irreconcilable: 

1. FWK is shopping Demas and Dunn as a package deal
  2. A&M isn't recruiting Dunn and even put Demas under Flanagan so that other schools can't get him

If FWK/A&M are working togehter, why is A&M letting him shop their best commitment to other schools?

Someone will say it's just to get Dunn offers and that Demas isn't actually being shopped. If that's the case, if the entire purpose of that is to buy Demas, why is a core part of the plan to pretend to sell him to other schools? It's just a stupid idea. 

Plus there's the small detail that Demas was committed to A&M and bought in to their class like 6 months before the transfer. 

You're focusing too much on the package deal. If I a kid is being moved schools so he can get access to free training more regularly, and in exchange a host family happens to get a top rated WR receiver for their QB son to throw too, thus improving his chances for more highlight tape and D1 offers, well, that's still shady ass shit. 

FWK could also be saying that just to get other schools to look at tape of Dunn. "Oh they do want to play together." Maybe a school shakes loose a new offer for just Dunn and likes what they see, etc. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I'm sure he knows there's smoke considering FWK is involved but I doubt he knows all of these details unearthed by our resident detectives. 

Well we’ve been involved with FWK (Sheppard, Toneil). So who knows?  Maybe there’s certain influential posters here who have LLCs that fronted the cone/rope/tennis ball costs?

That was also could have been before Demas committed to atm.  Now it's a like a 3 team trade.  ATM wanted him at an aggy friendly school and the footwork king wanted him at Tomball to be closer and to help Dunn get D1 offers.  Dunn and ATM don't care about each other, but they both get something out of the deal.

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Texags is a partner to and extension of Texas A&M University. Texags staffers are almost all TAMU alumni, and they actively recruit for Texas A&M and they promote A&M targets as Ryan Brauninger's tweets above illustrate. And let's not forget how Texags made a documentary about Brandon Jones when A&M was trying to get him. They really blur the lines of boosters/"jouranlists," particularly since they do work for Texas A&M. I don't think this is how other recruiting sites work with other universities.

They're a really shitty partner then.  Seems like the football program there could do a better job of handling that themselves.  Results have not been favorable.  But aggy will aggy.

Just now, pearlandhorn said:

They're a really shitty partner then.  Seems like the football program there could do a better job of handling that themselves.  Results have not been favorable.  But aggy will aggy.

I am just saying, they actively recruit, they don't just report.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Well we’ve been involved with FWK (Sheppard, Toneil). So who knows?  Maybe there’s certain influential posters here who have LLCs that fronted the cone/rope/tennis ball costs?

Also Broughton. FWK is pretty neutral about where his guys go, but if there's a way to make it work for himself, all the better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're focusing too much on the package deal. If I a kid is being moved schools so he can get access to free training more regularly, and in exchange a host family happens to get a top rated WR receiver for their QB son to throw too, thus improving his chances for more highlight tape and D1 offers, well, that's still shady ass shit. 

If word got back to the FWK/Demas/aggy/Dunn side that someone was going to spill the interconnection between them, that could be why they (apparently) scuttled the initial plan and why Demas committed to aggy solo. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Also Broughton. FWK is pretty neutral about where his guys go, but if there's a way to make it work for himself, all the better.

He had a clear aggy bias for a while.  It's evident that he's let up a bit, probably because he realized being blacklisted by an improving Texas program would not be good for business.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

and it's the clients like the Dunn's that pay his bills.  The talented guys he works with probably train for free or almost nothing.  It's the borderline players that come from wealthy families like Dunn that he makes most of his legit money off of.

Edited by kevwun

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Reminded me of this little fact I discovered in June:

Spoiler

Don't know if this was already common knowledge, but guess who the Ministry of Completely True and Unbiased Information has on staff and is definitely not a conflict of interest or anything? 

Dameyune Craig's son, Devin, who is listed as a reporter. Also Luicci's mom.

0105536-qxur-270x270.jpg

https://texags.com/staff

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

He had a clear aggy bias for a while.  It's evident that he's let up a bit, probably because he realized being blacklisted by an improving Texas program would not be good for business.

If my memory serves, fwk tweeted out something like, "everyone wants to play for jombo" not too long ago. He has been bought by Aggy and perhaps few other programs.

54 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The rumor is that the Dunn family are actually burnt orange. Not sure if that's true, but if it is the land FWK is on isn't necessarily aggy. 

I can confirm that the family is very much made up of Texas fans.  But the kid isn't Texas good and they really want him to play college ball, so they are trying to set him up for that.  Whether they are actually involved in any of the shady stuff being discussed in this thread, I have no idea.  

9 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

While people are digging: who is Karen Johnson?

Why would an old lady with no connections to Texas move from Florida to Texas after Jimbo Fisher is hired at Texas A&M? How does she have access to the Texas A&M football program to the extent that she is able to attend closed practices? How and why does she drive HS football players to camps, associate with their families, and participate in "chat rooms" with the parents of players Texas A&M is recruiting?

Sounds like a booster to me. I think the NCAA would frown upon boosters being so involved with recruits and their families.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:
1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The rumor is that the Dunn family are actually burnt orange. Not sure if that's true, but if it is the land FWK is on isn't necessarily aggy. 

I can confirm that the family is very much made up of Texas fans.  But the kid isn't Texas good and they really want him to play college ball, so they are trying to set him up for that.  Whether they are actually involved in any of the shady stuff being discussed in this thread, I have no idea.  

Going to be funny when Dunn ends up a PWO at Texas.

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Why would an old lady with no connections to Texas move from Florida to Texas after Jimbo Fisher is hired at Texas A&M? How does she have access to the Texas A&M football program to the extent that she is able to attend closed practices? How and why does she drive HS football players to camps, associate with their families, and participate in "chat rooms" with the parents of players Texas A&M is recruiting?

Sounds like a booster to me. I think the NCAA would frown upon boosters being so involved with recruits and their families.

Jimbo's main squeeze after Candi fucked the FSU special teams.  He always kept her on the outside just in case something fishy came up with Candi.  Now that Candi cucked him, he moved KKL to the front of the line.

12 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Out of reps - but this right here!

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How hard would it have been to find spots with other families (or maybe even the Dunns) for the 2 brothers?  I don't know why I remain incredulous at the bone-headedness of Aggies in general, but maybe someday I'll wise up.

tumblr_nkhtwvs3Ct1qfgg1ao2_250.gif

28 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

This.  And I don't think the lines are blurred at all.  They are flat out Boosters operating as an arm of the athletic dept.   I'm sure there are a lot of schools that blur the line but Texags is in a different category.

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

If the Dunn family has money, why don't they have their kid walk on somewhere and skip this whole mess?  He's just going to be a scout team guy at any program that offers, so just walk on where you want to go.

If they have and like money they can probably come up with 100,000+ reasons they would rather have their kid on scholarship than PWO

49 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

FWK could also be saying that just to get other schools to look at tape of Dunn. "Oh they do want to play together." Maybe a school shakes loose a new offer for just Dunn and likes what they see, etc. 

Is it though? Kids transfer schools for athletic reasons under the guise of personal issues all the time. That's not new. FWK's job involves promoting his clients. Of course he wants Dunn to get better offers. So if it means Demas transferring to Dunn's school so he has better talent, will get more attention, and get better offers, it seems like it's worth a shot to get him to transfer. And it Demas transferring means he's closer to FWK, it seems like a win-win for all involved parties (ignoring that it's against UIL rules for kids to transfer for athletic reasons). They tried to swing it and the UIL shut that shit down. But I'm just not seeing some sort of grand conspiracy here. Is it shady? Fuck yeah it is. Is there anything here that everyone in the state of Texas who even moderately follows this shit already has known about for years? I'm not seeing it. 

1 minute ago, gyroprotagonist said:

I think the real question remains, was this a typo?  Are we talking shady as shit or shady ass shit?  I mean ass shit is sorta redundant but could also imply a higher level of shade.  I just want to clarify. @SydneyCarton

All of the above, Gyro. It's a wildly versatile turn of phrase. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Is it though? Kids transfer schools for athletic reasons under the guise of personal issues all the time. That's not new. FWK's job involves promoting his clients. Of course he wants Dunn to get better offers. So if it means Demas transferring to Dunn's school so he has better talent, will get more attention, and get better offers, it seems like it's worth a shot to get him to transfer. And it Demas transferring means he's closer to FWK, it seems like a win-win for all involved parties (ignoring that it's against UIL rules for kids to transfer for athletic reasons). They tried to swing it and the UIL shut that shit down. But I'm just not seeing some sort of grand conspiracy here. Is it shady? Fuck yeah it is. Is there anything here that everyone in the state of Texas who even moderately follows this shit already has known about for years? I'm not seeing it. 

Does it happen? Sure. No doubt. But not illustrated in that post you quoted is the specifics that make this a little different than the usual moving schools shit, and that namely is that:

1) A HS football coach went on the record saying a trainer was shopping the two kids
2) Demas was allegedly staying with the specific host family at the new school that was allegedly being shopped by the trainer
3) The land on which the trainer's facility rests is owned by the same family 

Even if all those kinds things have happened in the past, and I'm sure they have, this level of obvious Hand In The Cookie Jar shit is a bit of an outlier, at least from what I've seen since I've been following this shit.  

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Does it happen? Sure. No doubt. But not illustrated in that post you quoted is the specifics that make this a little different than the usual moving schools shit, and that namely is that:

1) A HS football coach went on the record saying a trainer was shopping the two kids
2) Demas was allegedly staying with the specific host family at the new school that was allegedly being shopped by the trainer
3) The land on which the trainer's facility rests is owned by the same family 

Even if all those kinds things have happened in the past, and I'm sure they have, this level of obvious Hand In The Cookie Jar shit is a bit of an outlier, at least from what I've seen since I've been following this shit.  

Is there something illegal with FWK operating out of a facility owned by one of his clients? I just don't see that as being something anyone would really give a shit about. Couldn't he be giving the Dunns a discount on his services in exchange for the space? Would that be wrong? 

In response to point 1) if anything that FWK i currently shopping them as a package absolves aggy of responsibility here because they don't want Dunn and they've already got a commitment from Demas. Wouldn't this be a negative for aggy? 

21 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If they have and like money they can probably come up with 100,000+ reasons they would rather have their kid on scholarship than PWO

Why pay for an education when you can look up a butchers ass and see an aggy word for it?

• Like 2

I want to add this - the UIL had to have overwhelming evidence to make this decision.  They are far more lenient with Seniors because they don't want them missing their Senior year.  The are harder on non-Seniors because they can serve the one year JV penalty and still contribute as a Senior.  When you see them make a ruling against a Senior, especially 6-0, there was some really damning evidence.

It's also not coincidental that an article was published today with quotes from HS coaches about 7-on-7 and Private Trainers and how bad they are for HS sports.

Based on what I'm hearing and reading about this situation, aggy should stop worrying about bid bad UT running the UIL and starting hoping and praying that Demas' recruiting to aTm doesn't start drawing too much national attention.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Is there something illegal with FWK operating out of a facility owned by one of his clients? I just don't see that as being something anyone would really give a shit about. Couldn't he be giving the Dunns a discount on his services in exchange for the space? Would that be wrong? 

In response to point 1) if anything that FWK i currently shopping them as a package absolves aggy of responsibility here because they don't want Dunn and they've already got a commitment from Demas. Wouldn't this be a negative for aggy? 

I mean, FWK also gives his services free to kids who are D1 prospects to up his profile, etc. 

I feel like you're focusing more on the "What are the specific illegal things that can get people arrested for here" concept instead of the whole "This all looks shady and this kid is currently at aTm so they look dirty by association." I don't think average joe is going to do the real mental tracing you just did and say "Oh, this proves aTm is innocent, look at the circumstantial considerations." I think most people are going to say "This kid seems like he's dirty, the people around him seem like they're dirty, and he ended up at aTm. HMMM." 

• Like 2