Bombshell - Theron, Kidman, Robbie

Michael Knight

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Charlize's incredible transformation has me hopeful that the special effects crew will give us an accurate representation of Roger Ailes's raw hamburger penis.

51 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

giphy.gif

TeemingGrimCrane-small.gif

scissoring posts aside, this thing has a monster cast.

kate mckinnon, alice eve, allison janney, connie britton, john lithgow (as ailes), steven root, malcolm mcdowell (as murdoch), mark duplass, rob delaney, and a bunch of other familiar faces.

also, the intro to once upon a time in hollywood (and on the trailer), spencer garrett plays the interviewer talking to dicaprio and pitt.  garrett plays sean hannity in this.

jay roach loves him some political projects.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

kate mckinnon, alice eve, allison janney, connie britton, john lithgow (as ailes), steven root, malcolm mcdowell (as murdoch), mark duplass, rob delaney, and a bunch of other familiar faces.

also, the intro to once upon a time in hollywood (and on the trailer), spencer garrett plays the interviewer talking to dicaprio and pitt.  garrett plays sean hannity in this.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I can only assume now that Danny DeVito has converted to Scientology and speaks out of the side of his mouth while drunk, he can play Greta Van Sustren?

Speaking of drunk, who is playing Laurie Dhue?  My god, she was a tall drink of sexpantsfuckass back in the day.  

^

da fuh?   Do they not have pictures of Michael Cera squinting in confusion in your part of the internet?   I mean he’s already wearing the same ironic hipster bow tie.  We are totally good to go in that respect.  Start rolling.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

saw a screening of this last night.  i actually liked it more than i thought i would.  jay roach was the right guy, as he can do comedy, but also more serious movies with some really tense, pressure scenes - which this movie had many.  it was funny, intense, sad, suspenseful, kind of a roller coaster.  theron crushed it.  so did robbie.  some comedic actors were great in more serious roles (delaney, mckinnon, duplass).  and lithgow was awesome and scary all at once.  i thought it did a good job of capturing the enabling and complicit culture of fox news, without shaming victims who did or didn't come forward in appropriate time.

theron, roach, and the writer charles randolph (the big short) were there doing a q&a after the movie.  mostly just talked about how the movie came together, who they met with, spoke to, confidentiality agreements, and why it was a movie that needed to be made.  randolph made about 3 guiliani jokes in 10 minutes (richard kind played him in the movie, but his appearances were very brief).

i give it a solid b-, went in with fairly tempered expectations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 11:35 AM, henrygandorf said:

Hannity with the pistol in the waistband was awesome.  That whole exchange about the pact and fake news was spot on.

Kevin Dorff as O'Reilly was nails. 

Guilfoyle could only dream of being as attractive as the actor who portrayed her, Bree Condon.

On 12/25/2019 at 9:16 PM, mdmost said:

She was Nicole Kidman's therapist in both seasons of Big Little Lies and was great. 

5d16486c21a861068c45ca58?width=1100&form

She's also Annie Wilkes' mom in Season 2 of Castle Rock but I think there are only a couple of us here that watch it.

On 12/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, henrygandorf said:

saw a screening of this last night.  i actually liked it more than i thought i would.  jay roach was the right guy, as he can do comedy, but also more serious movies with some really tense, pressure scenes - which this movie had many.  it was funny, intense, sad, suspenseful, kind of a roller coaster.  theron crushed it.  so did robbie.  some comedic actors were great in more serious roles (delaney, mckinnon, duplass).  and lithgow was awesome and scary all at once.  i thought it did a good job of capturing the enabling and complicit culture of fox news, without shaming victims who did or didn't come forward in appropriate time.

theron, roach, and the writer charles randolph (the big short) were there doing a q&a after the movie.  mostly just talked about how the movie came together, who they met with, spoke to, confidentiality agreements, and why it was a movie that needed to be made.  randolph made about 3 guiliani jokes in 10 minutes (richard kind played him in the movie, but his appearances were very brief).

i give it a solid b-, went in with fairly tempered expectations.

I'm pretty torn on whether or not I want to see this. I'm sure the acting is great, and I'm usually up for a story about women talking down misogynistic assholes. That said, I'm having a hard time separating the truly heroic work Kelly, Carlson, and the others did to bring all the sexual harassment stuff to light from the bullshit they peddled on air. Much of which promoted opinions and policies that can foster environments where sexual harassment thrives.    

• Like 1

Meh. Vapid and shallow. Felt like a made for TV movie. 

Given the subject matter - television news - there may not have been any way to make it deeper dive. A better screenwriter was needed. 

Great acting by Theron and Margot. Kate McKinnon is strong in a supporting role. Even with their talent, the movie is disappointing. 

46 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

One of the non-political complaints I’ve heard about this movie is that it’s hard to buy into a well known great guy John Lithgow playing as Ailes. 

How dare you, sir! Cliffhanger is one of the greatest cinematic achievements of all time!