Electronic Music...does it exist ?

triplehorn

As I get older and my tastes move from the contemporary to older music, I keep getting reminded of music with samples or indirect roots in the traditional forms. Its something that older music heads get into, long after things like spotting samples get old. Its like many traditional forms or songs so old they don't have proper identified writers, the music might go out of style but it always comes back just only from time to time. Anyway, this was my favorite cheese dance tune from last year, heavily based on the traditional music of the middle east with just a cheesy dance beat underneath. The video is so cheap, like shot on a cell phone and edited on a laptop level of cheap. Older guys recognize that the best dance music is made be the more amateurish producers, its like when they learn all the technicalities of using the software and the plugins or writing the songs they lose the kind of immediacy that makes simple dance music so addictive. Either way here is Zenobia:

• Like 1

Well stated.  My favorite music has always been when two different genres are mixed perfectly.  Example.

First, Lizard Lounge (Dallas) circa 1995.  They played this one every night.

Also, the first time I heard the following song was at a party in Richardson.  My friend and I were laughing, thinking it was some sort of satanic ritual music.  Little did I know I'd come to like it and listen to the entire album just about every night during the time I lived @ Jester.

• 5 months later...

Trance jumped the shark towards the end of 90s, early 2000s definitely. After that it pretty much went to shit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0CnZDueqxs4IEXJj4ZZbFg

The Thrillseekers/Steve Helstrip did some great remixes during Trance's heyday.. Hadn't heard much from him but he's back with a GREAT Youtube channel. He has 4 hour vinyl sets of great Trance when from when it was really good.

check out the transition @ 1:20:01 into one of my favorite tracks, Rank 1 - Airwave (Original Mix).

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’d always been into electronic music, probably dating back to On The Run when my mom played DSotM for me at something like 8 yo.  I’d had all kinds of Orbital, The Orb, Robert Miles, Underworld, etc on my portable CD Player and later on my Nomad Jukebox (I worked for creative labs while in Stillwater).  

But my mind was blown wide open the first time I heard Vegas by Crystal Method.   I was at a friends house after eating some cubensis my friend and I’d grown (so yeah, that certainly helped).  We were just past the cold/nervous/nauseous come up and I hadn’t really been paying attention to the tunes.  

Sitting on the floor, trying to light a j, Vapor Trail came on.  Was unconsciously bobbing my head, looked up and watched the second hand of a wall clock in perfect sync with the beat…that simultaneous joy of being warmly welcomed back to psychedelic land and discovering a new tune was an awe-inspiring feeling I remember 21 years later.  

Now, Cherry Twist is my absolute favorite CM song, but Vapor Trail was my ‘THIS is what you’ve been looking for in EDM and you’re going to remember this moment the rest of your life’ intro to the band.   

Maybe because it’s an excellent example of aural Arousal-Climax-Refraction cycle which jives intensely with a double shot of nitrous, but it never fails to raise the hairs on my neck

I’m married with kids and thus no trips through the door to the Other Side…the occasional balloon of nitrous is like taking a glance through an old, dirty window to remember what it was like on that Other Side…but I’ll always love Vegas due that mix of good music and great memories.  

Not saying it is even close to the best electronic album ever made, but lyric-less music can be raw emotion download and Vegas will always be that for me.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Good stuff @Homercles

We have similar tastes and experiences with electronic music.  Matter of fact, this Crystal Method album was the first CD I purchased after I finally "made it big" and was able to afford my first real stereo.  

I had a damn near zen moment one time riding my bike along the Atlantic Coast of Florida when this song came on as the sun was rising.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ah man the old school Orbital.  I’ve since lost an MP3 of them performing Impact live somewhere that was always a transcendent listen.  Good stuff.  I got into them when I first heard Halcyon from the brown album, and of course In Sides is a masterpiece.  

Whoever said good trance died a long time ago is pretty spot on, but back in 2008-2011 when I listened to a lot of Trance Around The World when walking there was great stuff out there from their own Ocean Lab / Above and Beyond, Kaskade, Ronski Speed and a dozen other guys I’ve since forgotten.  

TATW was also the first time I heard Deadmau5, playing Jaded. He’d become my next electronic obsession, even if he’s not really known for trance…always loved his chill stuff as much as the chest thumping anthems    

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/10/2020 at 10:21 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Well stated.  My favorite music has always been when two different genres are mixed perfectly.  Example.

First, Lizard Lounge (Dallas) circa 1995.  They played this one every night.

Ha - I saw them do a show there at Lizard Lounge around 1992 or 93.  As I recall, they opened with O Fortuna, played maybe two or so other songs and then closed with...O Fortuna.  Good times...

Edited by mdleast
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

Ha - I saw them do a show there at Lizard Lounge around 1992 or 93.  As I recall, they opened with O Fortuna, played maybe two or so other songs and then closed with...O Fortuna.  Good times...

Awesome.  That was around the time I used to frequent the Lizard Lounge.  My friends were VIPs, so it was kind of cool to walk by everyone in line and straight in.  Only live show I saw was Planet Soul.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

OG DJs coming to Austin

Fri Feb 25, Cosmic Gate at Cedar Street

Sat Feb 26, Paul Van Dyk at The Concourse Project

I would love Cosmic Gate to play this Classics set

Just discovered these guys a couple of weeks ago and have been playing the different sets non-stop.  I like the one in Mexico City.  They'll be in Dallas in May.  I'm thinking about going.

• Hook 'Em 1

Am I crazy or did 93.3 play EDM stuff back about 2002?  I remember coming down here from Stillwater to interview and being stoked there was a station with some kind of electronica.  This song randomly popped in my head today, recall hearing it often on that station…didn’t realize the video is absolutely amazing:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, crash_davis said:

a little late but a great cover of a harry style's golden.

Cannons - Golden.

Cannons is bad ass. They aren't EDM though. 

Came here to post this album. I guess I drunkenly made a playlist the other night with a bunch of these tracks on it and forgot about it. I love this artist and this is their (his?) best work front to back for sure. 

Also - just reading through other posts - @Homercles deadmau5 definitely has a lot of trance influence throughout his stuff. I mean...

And I'm right there with you in loving that style. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

This dude is such a God damn genius. Wish he'd make more music. He's made 4 songs in 7 years since his breakthrough solo album. 

Also - Swedish House Mafia just dropped a new album. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fan of this one - although it's a total Daft Punk rip. 

Honestly there are a bunch of good ones after this - that I like better. I'd recommend a listen for anyone into them or EDM in general. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

My love for The Crystal Method is well documented above, though there was only one Vegas as they tended more towards Tweekend-style industrial than soaring EDM in later albums…and though Divided By Night had some gaps, the eponymous album that followed was way too clubby/dubby for me.  I was kinda done for awhile.  

Gotta really explore the new album that dropped this spring, but in the meantime:

Ken Jordan went granola and Scott Kirkland continued on, and this from his 2020 album (first solo) The Trip Home has been my obsession lately…subwoofer/headphones on:

My Genesis has the best stereo of any car I’ve been in, and damn I keep bumping it.  

Texture is just so important in electronic music…after a couple minutes of that dry syncopated screech opposite the bass, the bridge is almost a relief, lulling you to sleep until an unexpected surge of wet, slow-vibrato synth bursts in at 2:58 and kick starts the rhythm again slightly earlier than expected.  Man I love music that surprises you.  

He’s going to be in Austin on June 18th.  Haven’t seen him/them since a DJ show during Southby, so who knows.  I’d be going but will be in Costa Rica with my wife.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad this thread popped up on page one. I have been into Above and Beyond for awhile now. I'm really digging the Cercle channel on YouTube. 

My age shows with The Orb, Orbital, Armin Van Buren, Chemical Bros, Propellerheads. I love the drop as much as I love trance. 

Last month me and the girlfriend went to see Dombresky. Maybe a couple of 50 year olds shouldn't have been at the club, we caught Covid at the show, but it was a fun night. 

Edited by RiverwalkMiner
Spelling
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

Speaking of A&B and Anjuna. In my younger days I liked the oomph oomph. Now I like the more atmospheric, melodic progressive house tracks. I'm digging Anjunadeep more than Anjunabeats. 

This is over a year old but still one of my fav tracks.

Technically not on Anjuna label but another great track on my rotation.

And another one.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/16/2022 at 1:22 PM, RiverwalkMiner said:

I'm glad this thread popped up on page one. I have been into Above and Beyond for awhile now. I'm really digging the Cercle channel on YouTube. 

My age shows with The Orb, Orbital, Armin Van Buren, Chemical Bros, Propellerheads. I love the drop as much as I love trance. 

Last month me and the girlfriend went to see Dombresky. Maybe a couple of 50 year olds shouldn't have been at the club, we caught Covid at the show, but it was a fun night. 

My first electronic love had to be Any Colour You Like…and of course On The Run on DSOTM…back in 1990 when I heard that album for the first time (thanks mom!).  

I’m on record here being a big Crystal Method fan, and I sure love my Massive Attack, Pretty Lights, Deadmau5, etc.  As the Ghostland Observatory told me…just gimme the beat.  

But holy fuck I’m with you on trance.  When I first heard the brown album back in 2000 or so, it felt like home.  Certainly aided by copious cubensis I drank in Orbital, The Orb, Robert Miles, Oakenfold.  Around 2007 I was jamming GT vs Project C or Trance Around The World when out walking.  It sticks with you doesn’t it?

Which is why I was stoked when I came across this dude on YouTube, who recently has been deconstructing some of our favorites…instant sub:

There’s also massive attack and chemical brothers in there.  Combined my love of trance with my need to know how something works.  

Note:  This has sent me on a wormhole reading about classic synthesizers like the Wavestation used in Halcyon, or the famed Jupiter 8.  Reading about how Survive used some 80’s gear to compose for Stranger Things just dug me deeper…but holy shit a J8 in good shape fetches $20k+.  

Anyways I ramble on here, among my electronic friends.  Don’t really know anyone into this stuff.  More power to y’all, no shame being the old folks at those shows.  Hell my wife and I felt old at 32 seeing Pretty Lights and Passion Pit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Reissued last year on a big fat grooved twelve inch

"Drums" composed, produced, performed and recorded... 1974-76 using a computer playing the actual sounds controlling analog synthesis equipment under control of the GROOVE (Generating Realtime Operations On Voltage-controlled Equipment) hybrid system which was developed by Max Matthews and F.R. Moore at Bell Labs. ● Interaction with the computer was through a keyboard, pushbuttons and knobs, as well as complex "algorhythms" written by Spiegel in FORTRAN IV ● Licence courtesy of Laurie Spiegel / Laurie Spiegel Publishing (ASCAP) and Unseen Worlds Records.

Sweet.  I see Orbital mentioned two posts up.  I came across this one last night during "insomnia time".  It's very rare for me to rate an original song a "10", then a remix of the aforementioned also a "10".  I had a near Zen moment about 5 years ago when riding my bike along the Atlantic Coast in Florida.  Belfast (Orbital) came across my play list and the meshing of beautiful/exotic scenery + vacation + this song really got me.  Anyway, this remix is less ambient and more "driven".  (I can't think of a better word.)  Do yourself a favor and turn it up before playing.  Like most good electronica, you can't get a true sense w/o a good system or headphones.

• 6 months later...

Really digging this one. 

Honestly this is an insane 5 track run at the end of the album.

Screenshot_20230217_232916_Spotify.thumb.jpg.593f7e7150b31d5d11419d70d712c2ea.jpg

He's covering a lot of bases at this point in his career. Whatever you're into I feel like there's something that will jump out. 

Edited by ztejas

• 3 months later...

Man I was looking for this thread the other day.  I’ve been meaning to post this guy Avoure, absolutely love his deep house/trance style.  

I’m hoping this is called Floyd due to the tonality of the guitar solo being very Gilmour-esque, but damn that drop about 3:28 gives me chills every damn time: 

The fact he’s Ukrainian is just a bonus.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I was listening to some old albums on youtube from the dj mixed cd era, which was ultimately a forgettable era in dance music.

Anyway, here is Raincry (Submerged) by God Within, which was about as successful as a track could be back in the early nineties. The producer was able to get consistent bookings as a DJ and died young in 2013. Its catchiest part is a vocal sample from the soundtrack to the movie The Power Of One, a South African choir arranged by Hans Zimmer. There are a couple other small samples too.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

It's true. As you get older, you crave more mellow shit. As such, I've been chilling more to deep house tracks, especially remixes of R&B artists.

The below tracks have been around awhile.

It's a bit sacrilege to remix any Marvin Gaye song but this one is pretty damn good. 

Lots of Sade house remixes. Two of my favorites.

• Hook 'Em 1

@crash_davis is correct.  The older you get, the mellower the sounds.  In the 90s you could not have convinced me that I'd listen to the downlow stuff.  You would have had to pry The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, and Crystal Method from my cold, dead hands.

My latest phase consist of DJ sets in beautiful places.  Beautiful DJs help as well.  Here's two.  The latter looks exactly like what my wife looked like when we met - minus the green hair.

First song here is amazing.

Dammit.  I'll have to post later.  I'm getting an error msg on YouTube's end per embedding.

In my 50's, still like the bangers.  I dig the mellow stuff too. I go all over the map.  Streaming changed things though.  Most of what I 'find' some music service suggested for me,  so it isn't usually anything unknown.

Zeds Dead x Hamdi - Criminal ft. Warrior Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eksDHttSWPs

getting same message re: embedding youtube, so you'll just have to take your chances on clicking the links btw.

Laika Beats - Energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzzjc6Jsd10

Subtronics - Tuba Demon (HOL! Remix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7DdQfaWgqQ

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

Clozee's latest is more mellow but still hits in a good way.

Link tree so you can pick which service you want to stream it on:

https://clozeemusic.lnk.to/Microworlds

Edit: she's touring with Daily Bread and that tour hits Austin Nov 18.  Ya'll should go. 

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...