Murder is not a crime of violence

EMAWesome

So says the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

https://www.apnews.com/b27cd0c396914da598683451456e460e

PHOENIX (AP) — A federal appeals court has upheld a man’s second-degree murder conviction but threw out another conviction based on the first while ruling that the murder isn’t always a crime of violence under federal law.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel’s 2-1 ruling Monday said Randly Begay couldn’t be convicted of discharging a firearm during a crime of violence because second-degree murder can be committed recklessly and therefore isn’t legally considered a “crime of violence.”

Begay was convicted of second-degree murder in a 2013 killing in Tuba City, Arizona, on the Navajo Nation’s reservation.

Roderick Ben was shot in the head as he, Begay and two other people sat in a van outside a home.

Begay had been complaining about claims his girlfriend was cheating on him with Ben.

• Fuck You 5

The case seems to rely on the definition of "crime of violence" - which I'm guessng is something like "willful intent to cause bodily injury" and second degree murder can fail the "willful" test.

EMAWesome is not a poster of integrity

......................................................honesty

......................................................intelligence

So says the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Go Back To Shaggy

Edited by TexLonghorn
  • Like 1

I was verdicts like this that eventually led to violent acts of a lethal nature being reclassified as a ‘murder death kill’

it’s all proof we are living in Simon’s simulation.  

27 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Can you point to why you think the majority got it wrong? I mean legally, not just because you feel it to be wrong.

Bonus points if the explanation doesn't contain the words Obama, Hillary, antifa, etc... We're all on edge as we await the legal analysis from one of the preeminent legal scholars of our time. Don't let us down.

6 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Circumstantial evidence suggests that Leonid and Friends will be playing in Dallas on November 1.  I might buy tickets.

That would certainly be much more entertaining than this thread.  Or at least, more intentionally entertaining.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

My question too.  What point is OP trying to make here?

That liberals, and judges that rule against his political views are bad, and we should all be right wing conservatives and have courts filled with Clarence Thomas clones. 

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Why is this thread even here?

bc current shit in other threads is absolutely indefensible. he's scraping around trying to find something to own the libtards.

give him a break, pickings are pretty slim

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

serious question...how hard is it to go through life this fucking stupid?

does EMAW find it intellectually challenging to pump his own gas?

i’m genuinely curious...

He probably lives in NJ so he doesn't have to deal with that drama.