Amazon Wildfires

Pancho

totally normal right, that one of the wettest places on Earth would suddenly combust?  I wouldn't worry, I see a lot of hybrid cars at school pickup.  

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

They don't have fucking rakes in Brazil?

I fucking raked your mom in Brazil last night.  

Damn spellcheck.

Edited by Lobo

42 minutes ago, midtown said:

Don't studies show that wildfires help the forests rejuvenate when they occur from time to time?

Yeah, just like mass extinctions help the earth rejuvenate when they happen from time to time.  

Honestly, she'll be better off without us and I bet some cool new giant reptiles will evolve when the earth is one giant desert.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, just like mass extinctions help the earth rejuvenate when they happen from time to time.  

Honestly, she'll be better off without us and I bet some cool new giant reptiles will evolve when the earth is one giant desert.  

I had this argument with someone today.

"The planet is better without us."

"But we're the only ones that can save the planet."

*facepalm*

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Who, and what are we blaming?

I know you're being tongue in cheek, but the answer is people. Certainly indirectly by encroaching into the rainforest in the name of "economic development" - not unlike what you see in the Western US - but also likely directly to some extent.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I had this argument with someone today.

"The planet is better without us."

"But we're the only ones that can save the planet."

*facepalm*

george did a good segment on the ticket this morning.  said he saw a report that all the “recycling” of plastic we do in this country basically consists of us shipping about 90% of it to southeast asia where they just dump it in the pacific.  humans are brilliant. 

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

george did a good segment on the ticket this morning.  said he saw a report that all the “recycling” of plastic we do in this country basically consists of us shipping about 90% of it to southeast asia where they just dump it in the pacific.  humans are brilliant. 

I love pointing out to people in the office that while we have recycle bins, the cleaning crew dumps everything into the same receptacle.

• Like 1

Well first you have to accept that its made out of oil and the broken dreams of a Chevy Volt interior.  You would be shocked what percentage of Americans don't know that plastic comes from oil.   csb/ I spoke on a panel to a rather large group of CPG entrepreneurs about tips on how to attract late-stage capital after they're past the A/B/C rounds.  Half of them didn't know that the "plastic" they use is from hydrocarbons.  

Edited by Lobo

15 hours ago, midtown said:

Don't studies show that wildfires help the forests rejuvenate when they occur from time to time?

Depends on the forest and it's ecology. Fire is a useful tool for managing forests. Uncontrollable wildfire not so much from a management perspective, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't the natural order of things. Doesn't mean it is either.

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

Well first you have to accept that its made out of oil and the broken dreams of a Chevy Volt interior.  You would be shocked what percentage of Americans don't know that plastic comes from oil.   csb/ I spoke on a panel to a rather large group of CPG entrepreneurs about tips on how to attract late-stage capital after they're past the A/B/C rounds.  Half of them didn't know that the "plastic" they use is from hydrocarbons.  

Aren't the majority of plastic feedstocks derived from natural gas, and not oil?

15 hours ago, midtown said:

I read today that if the entire amazon burned the carbon released would be equivalent to all human carbon output since 1880.  So yeah, maybe the rejuvenation occurs, but at that point, does it even matter?

I think it was sometime around 1995 that these people from Save the Rainforest came to my elementary school to sell T-shirt’s. They explained that if we didn’t buy any that the rainforests would disappear very, very soon. It was a hell of a marketing strategy and we bought hundreds. So in other words, I’ve done my part. 

• Like 3

Honestly, is there not a freaking proper way to recycle plastic?

There is. It's just labor intensive and therefore expensive. The next time we, as a society, choose not to short-sightedly cut corners to pad the bottom line will be the first.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Amazon deforestation rates had been tumbling for years, largely thanks to the “Save the Rain Forest” movement and stronger land-use regulations. But they’ve risen significantly in Brazil this year: an area rain forest “roughly the size of a football pitch”disappears every minute.

https://www.technologyreview.com/f/614206/the-brazilian-amazon-is-on-fireheres-why-thats-bad-news-for-the-planet/?utm_medium=tr_social&utm_campaign=site_visitor.unpaid.engagement&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1566408959

Edited by retread

It's also worth noting that many of these fires are man made. This is a pretty well-sourced comment that I'm shamelessly stealing and reposting here, but basically the Brazilian government promoted a "fire day" to clear land and show support for relaxing environmental regulations.

There was a small news outlet that ran a piece on farmers talking about promoting a "Fire Day" both to clear land and to show support for the actions of Brazil's moron of a president de-funding enviromental programs. There's a piece from one of the largest newspapers in the country about the original article here, in portuguese but it has a graph about the number of fires by day.

There are cities in the Amazon covered in smoke from these fires. Some are covered for days now, this piece is also in portuguese but there is a before/after picture of the same spot in the city.

Yesterday, the smoke reached São Paulo (this one is in english) and made the city dark at 3 pm. These cities are about 1,500 miles apart (or the distance between NYC and Austin, TX).

Not to mention, the Amazon is pretty humid year-round, despite the lowers levels of precipitation in the dry season. It's not comparable to California at all. The Amazon's driest 3 months in Porto Velho (the city covered in smoke)have an average precipitation of about 30 mm, which is about half the average of the 3 wettest months in Sacramento.

Natural forest fires sure can happen in the Amazon, but they don't spread like this. This is man-made.

Edit: NPR reported that according to an official agency (INPE), there have been 74,155 fires in Brazil in 2019. About half those fires, nearly 36,000 of them have ignited in the last month. That's nearly as many as in all of 2018!

I really recommend checking out the first article in the post and translating from portugese in your browser to read. Some of the more interesting datapoints are that a significant number of fires are originating from highways, according to satellite imagery. Real fucked up situation, burning your country down is a really dumb political statement. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's also worth noting that many of these fires are man made. This is a pretty well-sourced comment that I'm shamelessly stealing and reposting here, but basically the Brazilian government promoted a "fire day" to clear land and show support for relaxing environmental regulations.

I really recommend checking out the first article in the post and translating from portugese in your browser to read. Some of the more interesting datapoints are that a significant number of fires are originating from highways, according to satellite imagery. Real fucked up situation, burning your country down is a really dumb political statement. 

I haven't been to a Holiday Inn Express in years, but this seems like a really dumb strategy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

yeah, basically bolsonaro is a twat. 

now he's blaming political enemies for doing exactly what he told people to do.