Colin Powell won 3 electoral votes
Faith Spotted Eagle won 1 electoral vote

The actual certified electoral vote total in 2016 was:

Trump 304
Clinton 227
Powell 3
Bernie/Kasich/Paul/Faith Spotted Eagle 1

• Like 1

Gradually and then all at once. We're nearing phase two.

That said, that ruling is more complex than this case. Isn't part of the motivation behind the litigation to allow the possibility of following the national popular vote?

Edited by horncyclist

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Thank goodness

the way the EC is structured means that, instead of presidential elections getting dominated by Texas and California, both big states with big, dynamic, growing economies, it gets dominated by dying midwestern states.  and florida.

i don't think that's what we were signing up for. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The question we should be asking is “How are healthy democracies born?”

By not being a republic? Once you go down this route, create a divided electorate and society it is a bitch to be more progressive and make the step to 1 human 1 vote. 

Perhaps the question is how do we avoid becoming a dictatorship. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the way the EC is structured means that, instead of presidential elections getting dominated by Texas and California, both big states with big, dynamic, growing economies, it gets dominated by dying midwestern states.  and florida.

As long as Republicans win, he doesn't care.  At all.  Don't waste your time. 

• Like 1

Delaware says um no. And please remember how Upstate NY votes. Saw more MAGA flags there than I do in Alabama. Well they don't have college football but still. 

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Delaware says um no. And please remember how Upstate NY votes. Saw more MAGA flags there than I do in Alabama. Well they don't have college football but still. 

delaware, texas, california, and new york were basically in a tie for number of campaign stops in 2016 (2 total between the 4 states). 

south carolina had 0 as well.  someone might want to tell lindsay.

Edited by elfenix

delaware, texas, california, and new york were basically in a tie for number of campaign stops in 2016 (2 total between the 4 states). 

south carolina had 0 as well.  someone might want to tell lindsay.

Campaign stops are not voters. They are sound bite collection activities. 

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Campaign stops are not voters. They are sound bite collection activities. 

true, they are not, but when we're talking about what states dominate, i'd say the actions of the campaigns in how they spend their limited amount of time is a pretty big indicator. 

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

By not being a republic? Once you go down this route, create a divided electorate and society it is a bitch to be more progressive and make the step to 1 human 1 vote. 

Counterintuitive but...get rid of the Senate?

I know there are consequences to that but holy fuck this body of government managed to be too powerful, corrupt, and worthless at the same time. 

The electoral college has done a good job of protecting minority power over the last 20 years. 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I know there are consequences to that but holy fuck this body of government managed to be too powerful, corrupt, and worthless at the same time. 

The electoral college has done a good job of protecting minority power over the last 20 years. 

Removing them will not change the biggest issue any democracy/republic faces. Shitty uninformed voters. And this applies to both sides. 

The experiment known as the United States of America is a daunting challenge. It does need evolution, however we will never be a homogenous people. I think the Senate allows legislative leadership that is needed. I would not get rid of it, but I would add term limits and true funding limits. No senator/congressman should go in worth 500K and be a multi-millionaire 4 years later. 

I said this before, and I felt it on a trip to DC from the Middle East back in 2010. We are becoming Rome. Today we are Rome. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

the senate isn't necessarily the problem...it is the insane amount of power that the senate majority leader has over its entire agenda.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

#22 Ranked Syracuse.

Plenty of Syracuse fans in Upstate NY and yeah they are hardcore rednecks. Granted Syracuse is temporarily relevant in college football.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

You were in Alabama and decided not to tell the Alabama Mafia? Splain Loocy.

• 5 months later...
On 8/22/2019 at 5:49 PM, InkaUtexas said:

The only way to avoid becoming a dictatorship is to keep the executive branch afraid of the power of the people. The people's power isn't necessarily the vote. It is in the people's expected reaction if the vote is taken away from the people. We are going to end up a dictatorship because the assumption is that we won't rise up against a dictator. That assumption is likely correct.  

Also, being a republic is fine. There are plenty of successful republics in the world.  That just means representative democracy.  All the rest of them have roughly equal voting power for each citizen.  We are the only country in the world that intentionally grants more voting power to some people based on where they live in our country. 

If anything, the USA is not even truly a republic since we don't directly elect the President, we don't have an equal say in "electing" those electors who appoint the President, our elected Senators represent vastly different numbers of constituents, and the House(the only true republic-style body) is essentially powerless. Instead, each individual state is a republic unto itself. The USA is a grouping of republics that decided to yield the primary powers they may have had as nation states to a tyrannical minority in other states.  The crazy thing about our tyrannical minority is that they don't give a shit about themselves. If West Virginia really wanted a fascist, you'd think they'd vote for a communist fascist to give the coal mine to the people. Instead, they keep voting for the owner of the coal mine to leave them with nothing but black lung and a pile of shit. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

3 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

I don't know but Republicans sure are killing the republic. 

yes, they are. one mobster pulled the gun out on the other mobster. power move. 

thats how democracy dies. the common platforms are being removed. the institutions are being made unrecognizable so you stop believing in them. and when you protest anything or say anything at all that is "radical" or "challenging" its you that is panicking. you are being hysterical. 

It is true what someone said upthread: we've never been a democracy. 

We've always been an oligarchy masquerading as a democracy.  And the masqeurade broke down with the advent of super PACs.  We're just an open oligarchy now.  See the thread that talks about how 50% of the money injected into politics in the last decade came from 25 individuals.

Edited by TexArcher

This is as good a guess as any:

At least one constitutional sheriff has already expressed a desire to deputize thousands of militia members to "protect" 2nd amendment rights and now the federal government is implicitly telling these lunatics to do whatever the hell they want. The initial purges won't be carried out by the FBI or our military, they'll be carried out by lunatic militia groups deputized by lunatic sheriffs. The GOP will excuse it as unfortunate but necessary action against Antifa terrorists who are looking to strip Americans of their rights. Hell, Ted Cruz will openly cheer it on.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

At least one constitutional sheriff has already expressed a desire to deputize thousands of militia members to "protect" 2nd amendment rights and now the federal government is implicitly telling these lunatics to do whatever the hell they want. The initial purges won't be carried out by the FBI or our military, they'll be carried out by lunatic militia groups deputized by lunatic sheriffs. The GOP will excuse it as unfortunate but necessary action against Antifa terrorists who are looking to strip Americans of their rights. Hell, Ted Cruz will openly cheer it on.

Shit like this can't be reversed once it gets too far gone.  We have one shot to save it in November.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Shit like this can't be reversed once it gets too far gone.  We have one shot to save it in November.

There's a decent chance if the economy tanks and the polls start looking worse for Trump that some of them get started before November. 

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

this is sadly a good post. "Bottoms up" per say. Its obv already in action for decades - just depends on where you live and what color you are. The bleed is with us. Tops down fear mixed in with bottoms up power grabs and the slow death of liberty. And the marginalization of another layer of the "fringe" happens. Rinse and repeat. Scary shit man.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I love these rugged western individualists who apparently need to extract the value of other people's property at a discount to make money. It's about as capitalist as the collective farms and oil wells in the soviet union. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova