Justin Tucker

idigTexas

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It was the end of the game so it was either a long ass field goal or a Hail Mary.

Hail Mary from that distance happens every once in a while.  That kick never has. 
But to answer my own question, KK tried a similar kick today with the former record holder Matt Prater and it got ran back for 109 yard TD.  Our man Malcolm Brown had a block on that run back.  Crazy day. 

Edited by Lhorn

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

tucker topped prater's kick of 64 yards at 13 degrees F and 72% humidity, which is some thick air for denver

tucker just went #1 at 601' elevation indoors

including dempsey's there are 6 total from 63, with 3 from similar elevations, plus 2 others from 63 in denver

Just fyi, all other things being equal, a ball actually travels better through humid air than dry air. Not much better, though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He has to be the greatest kicker ever, right? I can’t think of any kicker off the top of my head who comes even close to him. 

Vinatieri had more notable moments but he wasn’t nearly as good as Tucker. 

Absolutely the GOAT.

15 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Hail Mary from that distance happens every once in a while.  That kick never has. 
But to answer my own question, KK tried a similar kick today with the former record holder Matt Prater and it got ran back for 109 yard TD.  Our man Malcolm Brown had a block on that run back.  Crazy day. 

That's true, but Tucker changes the calculus for it.  With most kickers you wouldn't try it, but his odds of making it were probably higher than them scoring on a hook and ladder or hail mary.

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fun Fact:

Justin Tuckers kicked was 19 yards longer than the offensive production from Chicago today. 

That is a really fun fact!

Tucker and game-winning FGs against traditional losers. NAME A MORE ICONIC DUO.

And the longest FG in NFL history.

Just send him straight to the HOF now. He's just padding his resume at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, it has to do with lighter hydrogen molecules displacing heavier nitrogen molecules, so the air is actually lighter. I know it's counterintuitive. It's not a big difference, though.

It's actually a pretty big difference if you're trying to catch a fly ball. People know that in humid conditions baseballs don't go as far thanks to the humidor at Coors field. But that's because the ball is "wet" and the exit velocity is lower. As you allude to, for a given exit velocity and spin rate the ball travers farther in humid air because humid air is lighter than dry air.

So for an outfielder they need to understand that when they read the ball of the bat if it's a humid day it will travel more than on a dry day.

Molecular weight of dry air ~ 28.97
Molecular weight of water vapor = 18

That's all you need to know

Digression over

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 4