Houston is a shithole

Jersey Man10

14 hours ago, Elvis said:

Only been there a few times, but I agree...

1.  Still in college but GF in the Woodlands.  Let's drive 8 hours to space land to go to a party at her boss' house.  

2.  Running back in forth from Beaumont for insurance work.  Pull over in the hood for car trouble with a 40cal in hand.  They didn't want none.

3.  Visit a friend in Kingwood during the same insurance runs.   Cooled off some bar fights.  Fiend was on crutches or we probably would have gone full Toby Keith.  

This is how I know you've never ACTUALLY been to Houston.

OP is right about Houston, and wrong about San Antonio.

Waco is much, much, much worse than SA.  Found San Antonio to be a pleasant city I would 100% go back to.  Houston would be my least favorite place in Texas if it wasn't for Waco.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Dallas is by far a worse city. Land locked. Traffic just as bad. More expensive. Douchier residents. After growing up in the inner city I have no desire to join in on the recent efforts to reclaim the city. I like my little slice of the suburbs. Our daughter's school is really good, it's quiet, and traffic isn't bad where I am. After living in LA, what we paid for the square footage we have is down right silly.

• Like 1

It’s such bitch move to talk about the humidity and traffic. Of course it’s humid and there are a lot of places that are humid. Grow a pair and enjoy the free sauna. It’s good for your health.

If you can’t enjoy yourself in Houston you are probably a miserable cunt. Between the theaters, restaurants and museum’s you been hard pressed to find a city outside of New York that can rival it.

Hell I don’t even live in Houston but I absolutely love actually going to Houston. DFW sucks in comparison and it’s not close. I cover the entire state for my job.

Houston>Austin>San Antonio>Dallas

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

When the city is the most diverse in the country

Who gives a fuck about diversity? Is this code for "good mexican food"? Just say there's more food options.

I've been to Houston 3 times and never hit the infamous shitty traffic. I wish I had a better superpower but I guess I'll take it. 

• Haha 1

I haven't been to Houston in probably 10 years and don't know about living there, but I assume it's the same as Dallas. Some cool urban walkable areas in and near downtown, and maybe a few other spots, then a vast array of sprawling soulless pale af McSuburbs on the outer ring. The "rivalry" between the cities never made sense to me, other than the natural sports rivalries that develop between intrastate teams and their fans. Both are sprawling monuments to the worship of automobiles, with some cool stuff too if you know where to look. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

First time I've been here. So far nobody can drive. Traffic is horrible. Everyone is an asshole. And it's too fucking crowded.

San Antonio comes in 2nd.

-Bernard

I lived there years ago, hell now I can say decades ago. It was so long ago that I-10 was only 6 lanes wide at the West Loop, and down to 4 lanes once you got west of Wilcrest. Katy was a separate small town, 
Traffic has always been bad, but only if you are trying to get someplace.

- also Rocko

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I haven't been to Houston in probably 10 years and don't know about living there, but I assume it's the same as Dallas. Some cool urban walkable areas in and near downtown, and maybe a few other spots, then a vast array of sprawling soulless pale af McSuburbs on the outer ring. The "rivalry" between the cities never made sense to me, other than the natural sports rivalries that develop between intrastate teams and their fans. Both are sprawling monuments to the worship of automobiles, with some cool stuff too if you know where to look. 

So?  How is this different from pretty much every major metropolitan city outside of NYC? 

On 8/23/2019 at 9:01 AM, 'stache said:

Walkable!  That's rich.  I guess in the air conditioned tunnels under downtown.  I've also walked to the W. Alabama Ice House from my friend's condo on the corner of W. Alabama and Shepherd a time or two.  My mostly fond memories of Houston do not involve a lot of pedestrianism, apart from jogging for exercise.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Walkable!  That's rich.  I guess in the air conditioned tunnels under downtown.  I've also walked to the W. Alabama Ice House from my friend's condo on the corner of W. Alabama and Shepherd a time or two.  My mostly fond memories of Houston does not involve a lot of pedestrianism, apart from jogging for exercise.

I'm not familiar with Houston, but I assume there are some walkable neighborhoods "inside the loop." Tulsa has them, OKC has some, Dallas has some, despite being otherwise overwhelmed with highways and stroads. I intentionally live near downtown and in one of our walkable districts. We also have a lot of bike lanes going in and will likely be commuting soon by bike (I'm still looking for the right commuter bike). It's possible in sprawling cities if you know what you're looking for.

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm not familiar with Houston, but I assume there are some walkable neighborhoods "inside the loop." Tulsa has them, OKC has some, Dallas has some, despite being otherwise overwhelmed with highways and stroads. I intentionally live near downtown and in one of our walkable districts. We also have a lot of bike lanes going in and will likely be commuting soon by bike (I'm still looking for the right commuter bike). It's possible in sprawling cities if you know what you're looking for.

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

For the last several years I lived in Houston, I lived in the Montrose, just east of Shepherd on Fairview.  Since you aren't familiar with Houston, I'll describe that area as being well inside the loop (about a 5 to 10 minute drive to downtown without getting on a freeway).  There are probably a handful of places I could have walked or biked, but the reality of it is that that apart from the Cuban restaurant in the same structure as my old flat (former adjacent grocery store), I drove most places.  And it's not that I don't like to walk.  When I visit Austin and stay downtown, I walk just about everywhere, even during the heat of the summer.

Now, midtown, which had not started to develop in earnest when I lived there, seems a bit more walkable if you live in that area.  But I really think it depends.  Even the inner loop areas of Houston are very spread out.

14 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I feel like anyone who complains about the traffic has never driven in any city before. It’s infinitely better than driving in Austin.

My commute to/from work is 15.8 miles.  It can take anywhere from 35 mins to an hour to get point to point.  LA traffic is in a whole 'nother stratosphere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Houston is hot, humid, full of mosquitoes, and a mass of billboards and strip malls. Would never live there 

Yet another outstanding benefit that Houston as going for it, imo.

"Mass of billboards and strip malls." Funny, I can't see any billboards from my neighborhood, whether walking out the front door or driving around it. I'm curious, is there a massive freeway in a major fucking city that isn't covered in billboards? I'd be really curious, if so. As for strip malls, yeah, that's why I don't live in Katy or The Woodlands with the rest of Aggy. I live in HOUSTON.

• Like 1

Haha ,no when I go to houston I am in Houston. I don't say I live in Dallas and really live in Plano or some shit. All this was outside luckys pub, had a solid 6 hours of drinking at 8th wonder before

You were supposed to get in the Uber I ordered you, dumbass. Good thing you Llogg answered his phone.

I wonder how many Texans that don't live in West Texas or the Panhandle haven't been to all of Austin, DFW, Houston, and San Antonio. I bet it's a higher % than I would imagine.

Pretty confident my parents have never been to DFW and they’ve only ever been to Austin because of me. Anything west of SA or south of CC is also a nope.

9 hours ago, Sandman said:

Who gives a fuck about diversity? Is this code for "good mexican food"? Just say there's more food options.

I've been to Houston 3 times and never hit the infamous shitty traffic. I wish I had a better superpower but I guess I'll take it. 

Uh...wow. OK. 

Personally, I grew up in London until I was 10. I had friends whose parents hailed from Iran, China, Brunei, Lebanon, Egypt, various countries in Europe, and the US. I never thought anything about it at the time, but it gave me a truly international perspective from a young age that is ingrained in me. 

I love to be surrounded by people who don’t look like me (i.e., WASPy) and I want my kids to be surrounded by the same. 

So yeah, I appreciate the Mexican and Central American presence, but I also appreciate being around Indians, Asians, Aussies, Nigerians and other Africans, Europeans and every other culture we have here. I happen to also work with quite a diverse cross section of all of the above. 

So yeah, some people give a fuck about diversity other than good Mexican food, you fucking jackass. 

The upshot for you is that it sounds like you’d love The Woodlands. 

Edit to add: I live in Montrose, and we chose to build/remodel rather than move to a more homogeneous neighborhood like West U, so yes - diversity is big for us, and I also happily welcome the large LGBTQ presence in the city.  

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Uh...wow. OK. 

Personally, I grew up in London until I was 10. I had friends whose parents hailed from Iran, China, Brunei, Lebanon, Egypt, various countries in Europe, and the US. I never thought anything about it at the time, but it gave me a truly international perspective from a young age that is ingrained in me. 

I love to be surrounded by people who don’t look like me (i.e., WASPy) and I want my kids to be surrounded by the same. 

So yeah, I appreciate the Mexican and Central American presence, but I also appreciate being around Indians, Asians, Aussies, Nigerians and other Africans, Europeans and every other culture we have here. I happen to also work with quite a diverse cross section of all of the above. 

So yeah, some people give a fuck about diversity other than good Mexican food, you fucking jackass. 

The upshot for you is that it sounds like you’d love The Woodlands. 

Ha, I grew up in West Germany until I entered 8th grade. Dad was USAF and I grew up with other military brats of every race but mostly white and black. Few hispanics or asians. I never gave a shit, we just did "kid stuff" and you were either an asshole or not, race wasn't a factor. To this day, race doesn't matter to me but the asshole part still does. I don't give a fuck about "being diverse", just be cool to each other.

When I plan a vacation, I never think "Gee, I really want to go somewhere diverse!". I just want to have a good time and be around friendly people. 

I don't live in Texas, I have no idea what the Woodlands is all about. Go fuck yourself, you pretentious douche.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hate said:

Wait, so you hate Houston and San Antonio? You must be from Dallas. Oh, and as someone who has lived in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, and Houston, I would pick SA and Houston over any of them. If you hate the driving in Houston it’s because you’re probably a pussy behind the wheel. If you have some balls, driving in Houston is awesome.

Whoa, whoa. Don't put the little incel OP on Dallas. He's Austin's problem IIRC. 

• Like 1

I have lived in every corner of Texas at some point in my life, from the Coastal Bend, to Houston, El Paso, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio... All of them had their pluses, most of them had shitty traffic, some had better food than others, and universally, they were all better than College Station.

By the way, the high temperature in Chapel Hill tomorrow is 71°F. Just thought I'd mention it.