Breaking Bad Movie

Zwylde

In this case, it means "The Road."  

The path Jesse needed to take to absolution, peace, and disappearance.  

I need to watch it again.  I started it at about 11:30p on Friday night and missed a few things in the wee hours.  

54 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Not sure how y’all missed the other gun in his pocket and him shooting it through his jacket. When he tells the remaining three guys at the shop to fuck off, the last guy says as he steps out the door “you’re on fire” and Jesse looks down and pats the flame out.

Not sure how you missed where I explained how I missed it

Finally got around to watching it last night. I thought it was a great ending for Jessie. I rewatched Felina before this and damn I forgot how good the ending was. BB is such a rewatchable show and I catch new thi gs every time. This movie has me itching for more and cant wait for BCS to finally return.

I think the movie showed his evolution as a character with the flashbacks to earlier in the series where he is a dumbass punk and the junkyard guy referencing "yeah magnets". Jessie went to hell and back over the course of the series and deserved this ending.

12 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Finally got around to watching it last night. I thought it was a great ending for Jessie. I rewatched Felina before this and damn I forgot how good the ending was. BB is such a rewatchable show and I catch new thi gs every time. 

I did the same and the line-

"If I hear you say one more time you did it for.............

"I did it for myself"

Was just as amazing as it was when I watched it the first time. Such a great fucking show.  

• Like 2

My favorite takeaways...

Todd is absolutely a fucking sociopath creep.  And played it so damn well.  

The shootout was well done.  Even the second guy he killed and all the missed shots.  I think it was authentically done and shows how an average dude couldn't hit shit in a high intensity moment. dude, you're on fire - lol.

The hotel hallway walk - just fucking perfect and silent and long enough.

The whole buffet/restaurant scene may be one of my favorite BB moments.  The "yeah bitch" as Jesse filled up his plate was just perfect. And then the discussion ...

"certainly went big with the pineapple."

"only an asshole doesn't like pineapple. i'm guessing you don't."

"i can take it or leave it."

"pineapple is good for you, it's got bromide"

"bromelaine... but close.  actually, it's not close at all."

and then later talking about college

"and you could do it too. first step, get your GED. that's no problem."

"what do i need a GED for? i got a diploma."

"oh... of course... yeah, right. right, right, right."

"yo! you were standing right on the stage when they handed it to me!"

"i know... it just slipped my mind."

"i totally graduated high school, dick. which is no thanks to you."

Edited by BlueGreySky
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, SubliminalHorn said:

Enjoyed it. Didn’t love it. Mostly enjoyed it because of the nostalgia of the show and the few gaps that were filled in that, honestly, didn’t have to be. Fairly unnecessary movie to be made. The fact that everyone was obviously 7 years older and fatter bothered me. Husband described it as an hour and a half of Jesse trying to scrounge up $1800. 

I thought that Jesse's ending in BB was actually the best ending of any character.  It was perfect.  So, yeah, this one felt a little unnecessary.  The "notorious, but good-hearted criminal finds peace in Alaska [or other quiet, desolate, beautiful locale]" story arch is a tad cliche. The shootout didn't exactly land. Jesse obviously went into the weld shop with the intention of killing that guy (if he just wanted $1800, he could have robbed a convenience store), so being challenged to a one-on-one draw was a little too convenient.  That said, getting the band back together was worth my 2 hours.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The shootout didn't exactly land. Jesse obviously went into the weld shop with the intention of killing that guy (if he just wanted $1800, he could have robbed a convenience store), so being challenged to a one-on-one draw was a little too convenient.

My thoughts exactly.  I thought that whole scene was pretty cheesy.  Not to mention, Jesse having this huge problem with more killing, but that all goes out the window for a measly $1,800?  As you said, he could have robbed a convenience store, could have sold the guns and the fiero.  There are a lot of ways to scrounge up $1,800 without the supposed most dreadful thing to him..."more killing".

My thoughts exactly.  I thought that whole scene was pretty cheesy.  Not to mention, Jesse having this huge problem with more killing, but that all goes out the window for a measly $1,800?  As you said, he could have robbed a convenience store, could have sold the guns and the fiero.  There are a lot of ways to scrounge up $1,800 without the supposed most dreadful thing to him..."more killing".

I know he was emphasizing only $1800, but it doesn’t even need to be emphasized that it would be ideal to have more money to start a new life with in Alaska.

Watched it a couple nights ago, enjoyed it. The plot was pretty simple, and it felt like at least 50% of the movie was a flashback vs. present day, but it did give BB fans just a small taste of old times. 

I thought the Walt and Jesse diner scene was possibly old material that had been edited out and recycled for use in the movie. I couldn't tell for sure if Aaron Paul looked a little thinner in that scene compared to the rest of the movie. Turns out I was wrong and they filmed it just for the movie:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/el-camino-breaking-bad-movie-walter-white-scene.html

The only minor "gripe" I have is that a fugitive in the United States should probably pick a better spot to disappear than Alaska. It's still part of the U.S. and it would seem relatively easy to be discovered there and arrested. Go somewhere that does not have an extradition treaty with the U.S., perhaps Montenegro or the Maldives.

Edited by wild_turkey

The Alaska angle goes back to BB.  Walt paid the vacuum guy to disappear and it was essentially living off the grid alone in a cabin with vacuum guy bringing you supplies each month.  Under that setup it needed to be accessible by the vacuum guy to deliver supplies, so Alaska was probably as remote as they could get.  Jessie seemed to be dropped with the intent to start a new life in Alaska which I agree he would probably be easily discovered.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The Alaska angle goes back to BB.  Walt paid the vacuum guy to disappear and it was essentially living off the grid alone in a cabin with vacuum guy bringing you supplies each month.  Under that setup it needed to be accessible by the vacuum guy to deliver supplies, so Alaska was probably as remote as they could get.  Jessie seemed to be dropped with the intent to start a new life in Alaska which I agree he would probably be easily discovered.

Walt was holed up in New Hampshire, not Alaska.

i think jesse mentioned alaska a time or two in breaking bad so i'm guessing they were just paying that off.

When Walt meets with Jesse and Saul in the desert, Walt suggests that jesse start over somewhere. Jesse tells Walt to stop working him for once but ultimately decides it would be the right thing. Saul sets it up and as he is about to leave Saul’s to meet the vacuum man, he asks Saul if he could go to Alaska. Saul tells him he doesn’t see why not. I think that is the only mention in BB about Alaska. The intro scene of El Camino explains how the idea of Alaska was introduced to Jesse. This scene would have taken place before the Jesse, Mike and Walt meet at Vamonos Pest to tell Walt they are both out.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

This movie was 10x better than any BCS snoozefest episode.

False. I am on a rewatch of Better Call Saul and it shits all over this movie. the arch of Better Call Saul is fantastic, especially how they tie the Breaking Bad landscape into over time.

This movie wasn't bad but was very generic. Jimmy/Chuck's relationship is better than anything about this movie.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

The only minor "gripe" I have is that a fugitive in the United States should probably pick a better spot to disappear than Alaska. It's still part of the U.S. and it would seem relatively easy to be discovered there and arrested. Go somewhere that does not have an extradition treaty with the U.S., perhaps Montenegro or the Maldives.

I thought the same thing about Alaska, but even the whole extradition treaty thing is pretty much just a cool idea for the movies.  Lack of a treaty doesn't mean they won't extradite if asked.  That Austin cop who killed his girlfriend a few years ago thought he was sly fleeing to Indonesia, with no treaty.  It took them about a week to find him and arrest him and they had no problems extraditing him without a treaty in place.   There's not too many countries hostile enough toward the US to hold a known murderer and still nice enough I'd want to spend the rest of my days in.

I appreciated Alaska for the clean specific ending.  My biggest concern in the last season of BB was that it would be a bullshit vague ending left open to interpretation like The Sopranos.  

3 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Okay, so I saw Jesse Plemons and Kirsten Dunst a couple of months ago at Loro on South Lamar. He was not nearly as big as he was in this. Makes me wonder when this was filmed. 

Plemons was a little large when he did Fargo a few years back and it appears he didn't lose that weight gained. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

False. I am on a rewatch of Better Call Saul and it shits all over this movie. the arch of Better Call Saul is fantastic, especially how they tie the Breaking Bad landscape into over time.

This movie wasn't bad but was very generic. Jimmy/Chuck's relationship is better than anything about this movie.

I agree it wasn't peak VG, but more of a present to the fans. It wrapped up Jesse's and a lot of secondary players storylines. BCS is working on a different level at a different pace. They aren't the same story. Each character has a different backstory. I would have love to see Mike's Philly backstory if he was young enough to play it. But unfortunately they would probably cast Jon Bernthal as young Mike.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

When Walt meets with Jesse and Saul in the desert, Walt suggests that jesse start over somewhere. Jesse tells Walt to stop working him for once but ultimately decides it would be the right thing. Saul sets it up and as he is about to leave Saul’s to meet the vacuum man, he asks Saul if he could go to Alaska. Saul tells him he doesn’t see why not. I think that is the only mention in BB about Alaska. The intro scene of El Camino explains how the idea of Alaska was introduced to Jesse. This scene would have taken place before the Jesse, Mike and Walt meet at Vamonos Pest to tell Walt they are both out.

Also didn't Pete/Badger tell Walt in the finale that they heard Jesse had gone to Alaska? I would guess that he had been talking about it with them if they had that idea. 

• Like 1

Also didn't Pete/Badger tell Walt in the finale that they heard Jesse had gone to Alaska? I would guess that he had been talking about it with them if they had that idea. 

They might have. In the car after they use the laser pointers? Sounds right. We are starting to go fan fiction here, but yeah, I would assume jesse would have told his two best buds that he was thinking about heading to Alaska (after Mike suggested it). I might go back and watch that scene.

Edit:

You are right. Badger says yo skinny “you said he moved to Alaska”.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Does "snoozefest" mean you've slept through every episode?  Because you'd have to be sleeping to think this.  One of the worst takes ever posted.

My aunt and uncle said they hated BCS but loved Breaking Bad. I told them if they stick with it, the dividends pay off huge because you see how the Breaking Bad world formed. It starts off a tad slow but when it picks up steam into season 1, it never slows down. Like Breaking Bad.

14 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I appreciated Alaska for the clean specific ending.  My biggest concern in the last season of BB was that it would be a bullshit vague ending left open to interpretation like The Sopranos.  

I'm one of the weird people that kind of likes endings that are open to interpretation - Sopranos, Inception, etc.

Breaking Bad left Jesse's story open ended because we didn't know exactly what happened after he fled. I was fine with that and didn't really need El Camino to spell it out for me. Then again, I also liked getting the band back together for a 2 hour encore of one of the best shows ever made. So it worked in that sense.

• Like 3

I'm one of the weird people that kind of likes endings that are open to interpretation - Sopranos, Inception, etc.
Breaking Bad left Jesse's story open ended because we didn't know exactly what happened after he fled. I was fine with that and didn't really need El Camino to spell it out for me. Then again, I also liked getting the band back together for a 2 hour encore of one of the best shows ever made. So it worked in that sense.

I mean, Jesse’s story ended the same way in BB and El Camino, him driving. Technically it is still open for interpretation.

No complaints, well, I guess a little more fireworks with regards to the end. Also got me to go back and watch the final 4 eps of breaking bad, which was awesome. Walt was one selfish money hungry ego ridden sombitch

Edited by Dewey
Jessie needed a 50 cal in the trunk

On 10/17/2019 at 9:57 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I couldnt make it through BCS. Id probably feel different if it came out before BB instead of after.

Too much lawyer talk BS. Different strokes. I like walter/jessie, meth deals and murder i guess.

How far did you get? BCS works much better to be released after BB ended. I think going back in time after you know the characters from BB and then see how they progressed to what you saw them as in BB is a great payoff for me. Season 3 onward is when the BB world really starts to transpire. And you see how Gus and Hector's relationship was and the progression of Mike, which was one of my favorite BB characters.

i liked the vacuum/forster scene, but thought it was a little silly for a major plotpoint.

dude never thought he was gonna see that original 125k.  now he has 248k dropped in his lap, and he acts like a dick about it?

until jesse called him and said "i'll get you your money" i thought forster just didn't want to help him, thought it was too risky for both of them - which is essentially what he said when he put the money back in the bag. 

guy is all about helping people start over, obviously knows jesse is desperate, but is basically sending him out into the world to die over 2k?  nah, don't really buy it.  also i think once in alaska, jesse is just as likely to stay safe on his own with 250k than he would be with "a new identity" and no money (which is what he would've had if the welder had just given him $1800).  he would completely disappear and could live off the grid just fine.  if someone recognizes him, they would either way.  i doubt anyone would kick up a fuss about it.

separate question - at the point of the escape, what was pinkman suspected of/wanted for?  did they think he was involved in the murders?  did anyone even know he was trapped down there?  was it stuff from before his capture?  he obviously had a previous deal with hank, but it had been months in that cage making meth.  seemed like the heat was excessive all things considered. 

after walt died and the meth gang was all murdered, i just don't see pinkman's mug on the wall at the post office.  maybe that's just me.

solid b, maybe b-.  enjoyed watching, won't ever really think about it again.

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

separate question - at the point of the escape, what was pinkman suspected of/wanted for?  did they think he was involved in the murders?  did anyone even know he was trapped down there?  was it stuff from before his capture?  he obviously had a previous deal with hank, but it had been months in that cage making meth.  seemed like the heat was excessive all things considered. 

after walt died and the meth gang was all murdered, i just don't see pinkman's mug on the wall at the post office.  maybe that's just me.

I was wondering the same. Wouldn't Marie have vouched for him? 

How far did you get? BCS works much better to be released after BB ended. I think going back in time after you know the characters from BB and then see how they progressed to what you saw them as in BB is a great payoff for me. Season 3 onward is when the BB world really starts to transpire. And you see how Gus and Hector's relationship was and the progression of Mike, which was one of my favorite BB characters.

I checked out with saul's brother doing his tin foil shit away from the sun... and i think that family just signed off on some deal. The brother thing is what i recall most when i felt the show wasn't going anywhere

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I think VG missed an opportunity there to at least reference Jesse's confession tape.  Jack and co. had the only copy after tearing up Marie's house, so I guess we're going on the assumption that the cops found it.  In which case, Jesse is admitting to being directly responsible for about 10 deaths and indirectly responsible for 100 more.

And Jesse’s “deal” was only with Hank and Gomez. They kept it secret from everyone after Walt had dozens of dudes murdered in jail and weren’t they pretty much told by TPTB to drop the blue meth crusade?

Hank was doing everything off the books in his garage.

Jesse has no legit deal in place with anyone with the authority to do anything.

Hank’s dead. Gomez is dead. Walt’s dead. And the police have a video of Jesse confessing to all sorts of bad shit.

Yeah, he’s going to be the most wanted man in the Southwest.

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

i guess i'm just trying to figure out the timeline.  seemed from tv that the heat was on right when jesse escaped.  so did they know he was kept prisoner and got away?  not sure if they did, considering everyone was dead.

if they didn't know about his situation, it doesn't seem like there would be constant news coverage and a huge manhunt after what, 6-8 months?  cops stationed at jesse's parents house the whole time?

I checked out with saul's brother doing his tin foil shit away from the sun... and i think that family just signed off on some deal. The brother thing is what i recall most when i felt the show wasn't going anywhere
Season 3 towards the end is where it cranks up big time in terms of seeing the Breaking Bad world form. Gus, Hector, Nacho and all them are big players. Mike is too. It goes away from strictly lawyer stuff. And the food drugs enter the picture.

I'm watching it for the second time and it's much better the second time around for me. My girlfriend enjoys it. She said not as quite as good as Breaking Bad but still very good.

16 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I think VG missed an opportunity there to at least reference Jesse's confession tape.  Jack and co. had the only copy after tearing up Marie's house, so I guess we're going on the assumption that the cops found it.  In which case, Jesse is admitting to being directly responsible for about 10 deaths and indirectly responsible for 100 more.

15 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

And Jesse’s “deal” was only with Hank and Gomez. They kept it secret from everyone after Walt had dozens of dudes murdered in jail and weren’t they pretty much told by TPTB to drop the blue meth crusade?

Hank was doing everything off the books in his garage.

Jesse has no legit deal in place with anyone with the authority to do anything.

Hank’s dead. Gomez is dead. Walt’s dead. And the police have a video of Jesse confessing to all sorts of bad shit.

Hello? Marie? 

Marie knew everything. She's still alive. 

And how do you know what Jesse "confessed" to? The only part of the video we saw was him telling about how Todd killed that kid. 

Also I seriously doubt that they wouldn't have destroyed that video after watching it. It incriminates all of them. It's the whole reason they ransacked Marie's house for it. 

Edited by NorthLoop