university towers to be razed. the end of an era.

futureman

I lost count of the times we were threatened with eviction.  the best was when gucci_suit launched a bottle of boone's from our balcony across w. 24th street and into the parking lot of croix and it didn't break.  then for good measure he threw another straight down that exploded at the feet of one of the security guards.  I've never seen cops so mad since the two apd officers that showed up to toss our place for evidence of boone's, fortunately two had been our limit from our trip to grande food mart earlier and we got to live another day.

Edited by hornimal

I remember going there with a girl I was dating, she was at UT, I was visiting from Florida.  Her parents were very well-off, so I assumed she lived in some badass off-campus apartment.  We went back there at night, for all I knew this was just some high-rise near UT, not filled with students.  I remember the light fixtures, the carpeting, the hallways, everything reminded me of 70's mid-rise, working class apartments in Southwest Chicago.  So, not good.  The smell of stale cigarette smoke from a bygone era, the sad drapery, the shitgrade appliances, everything about the place was very "One Day at a Time" shitshow.  I was expecting Schneider to come down the hall any minute to give us unsolicited advice.  Anyway, wake up the next morning...place looked even more dated in the sunlight.  Some to realize it's filled with students, it's just blocks from campus, and apparently it was quite expensive at the time and somewhat prestigious to live there (this was when there were only a handful of high-rises in West Campus, mid-90's).  Anyway, glad to see it go.  It's an eye-sore. 

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I spent a shitload of time within a few hundred yards of Tri Towers and don't believe I ever set foot in it.  Other than Tricky Mickeys.

I've had success at Tricky Mickeys. We must have been there around the same time because those Tri Towers bars seemed to change names every 2 years.

• Like 1

1984-88.  Last time I went to Tricky Mickeys was probably 1985 on something resembling a hogging expedition.  Don't recall what became of it or what might have replaced it.

Even back then, it was sort of an odd mix between a dorm and an off-campus apartment, but had the prestige of neither.

Edited by TwiceHorn

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

1984-88.  Last time I went to Tricky Mickeys was probably 1985 on something resembling a hogging expedition.  Don't recall what became of it or what might have replaced it.

Even back then, it was sort of an odd mix between a dorm and an off-campus apartment, but had the prestige of neither.

Yeah, 85 sounds about right. I don't think I ever went upstairs, though. I had different friend groups - high school friends, law school friends, fraternity friends, freshmen dorm friends, and classmate friends and each group kind of had their own hangouts. The classmate friends liked Nasty's, the law school friends liked live music venues, the fraternity friends liked Abels and a few high school friends liked Tricky Mickeys, Bananas and some of the more low key places near campus.

It will always be TriTowers to me. It wasn't horrible in the early 80's. My college girlfriend lived there one semester or maybe it was a summer. Some middle-eastern women lived in a nearby unit and I can still smell the spices they used for cooking. It seemed like all they did was cook. The smell never went away.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I lived there my freshman year and had some great times.  My roommate and I used to go up on the roof and toke up.  I'm kind of surprised neither one of us took a dive off of it.

The parking garage would suffice.