university towers to be razed. the end of an era.

futureman

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Is the basic concept of the off-campus dorm a dead man walking in Austin?

Apparently the entire concept of "student housing" in West Campus that doesn't have granite countertops, hand-scraped hardwoods, and a Whole Foods in the bottom floor is dead. Fuckin' kids these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Didn't Dobie have the world's biggest McDonalds at one time? Took up the entire basement.

I never recall it taking up the entire floor it was pretty small from what I remember and pretty shitty food even back when McDonalds was not near as shitty as today

there was the movie theater, a CStore, TOGOs (crappy food place), (I think a book store), and maybe one other restaurant all in there when I was around TOGOs and the possible other restaurant faced Guadalupe

Lived there from 1995-1996.  It was fucking lame.  Only lived there because my dumbass friends didn't want to take over my brother's lease in north university because the house was "old".  Idiots, all of them ended up living in "old" houses the next year.  Yeah, I am and GDI, fuck your face.  The cafeteria was ok and I got a lot of free pizza from the RAs, but living amongst those lame frat/sorority lames sucked.  neg away you pussies.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Lived there from 1995-1996.  It was fucking lame.  Only lived there because my dumbass friends didn't want to take over my brother's lease in north university because the house was "old".  Idiots, all of them ended up living in "old" houses the next year.  Yeah, I am and GDI, fuck your face.  The cafeteria was ok and I got a lot of free pizza from the RAs, but living amongst those lame frat/sorority lames sucked.  neg away you pussies.

Neidermeyer: How does it feel to be an independent, Schoenstein? 

15 hours ago, tokamak said:

Apparently the entire concept of "student housing" in West Campus that doesn't have granite countertops, hand-scraped hardwoods, and a Whole Foods in the bottom floor is dead. Fuckin' kids these days.

I looked recently, and a new west campus apartment compares pretty favorably with on-campus housing, which was not the case 30 years ago.  The difference is basically the meal plan.  And the dorms are still the dorms, the apartments are nicer. Split up a 2BR or 3BR (they didn't have these 30 years ago) and you might actually be cheaper.

Tuition aint the only thing gone way up at dear ol' U of T.  In fact, I think it could be called gouging to charge what they do for Jester, Moore-Hill, BRP, etc.

Edited by TwiceHorn

When DDD was there we had requested a dorm on campus but by the time she got approved for her request (it was the new one near SRD) we already had to commit to Towers. They rope you in by forcing you to commit to a full lease before UT does its assignments. I think that is a big factor that drives some of these places (knowing where you are staying early rather than having to wait until right before school starts).

The dorms were less but not so much less that it would have made a big difference.

On 8/23/2019 at 10:46 PM, ButtFumble said:

I never recall it taking up the entire floor it was pretty small from what I remember and pretty shitty food even back when McDonalds was not near as shitty as today

there was the movie theater, a CStore, TOGOs (crappy food place), (I think a book store), and maybe one other restaurant all in there when I was around TOGOs and the possible other restaurant faced Guadalupe

There was a pizza place there in the 80s where you could get a slice and soda for cheap.

Edit: Niki's was the name of the pizza place.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Like 1

Guess it's been way too long that I don't remember Towers having a rep.  The kid just moved in this weekend (living on campus).  When I checked in the Spring, I saw Towers rates were pretty reasonable.  When I called, they said they weren't booking for the fall because the owner hadn't decided what to do.  Knew it was dead man walking right then.

I’m an old, so it was Tri-Towers and The Renegade was the name of the club on the first floor of the parking garage when I was there in the early 80’s. There were always some of Akers’ underachievers on the make, acting like privileged assholes. 

We also had a guy on our hall at Moore-Hill (later became a cheerleader, the blond one who jumped around a lot) who NEVER brought any money with him when we went to the Renegade, so we always had to spot him a few bucks. Every fucking time.

And yes, at one point, the first floor McDonald’s at Dobie claimed to be the “biggest McDonald’s in the world!”  I had high school classmates who lived upstairs, and the legend of the pot smoke in the halls was well deserved. 

My oldest son lived there in Fall 2007 and Spring 2008.  Those guys were dicks about deposits. I can also verify -shithole.

CSB: I lived at the Delphi across the street back in the late 80s and during the winter Tri towers would cast a long shadow over 24th st.  On a few occasions when an ice storm would roll in, my brother and I would set up shop on our street lawn and watch the wrecks caused by the  long shadow and unmelted street ice.  There were so many. Good times.

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2019 at 10:48 PM, Macanudo said:

Mrs. Macanudo lived there her freshman year (91-92) and her roommate was never home so I spent A LOT of time there.  The amount of jizz I sprayed in that room would make Peter North proud. 

And yes, I hit a ceiling tile with it once.  

Spoiler

liiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaar.  there were no ceiling tiles inside the rooms.  

j/k

5 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Yep. If your daughter was there between 92-95 there is a good chance she licked my sack. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by hornimal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Checking in.  Fall of 92.  Had a total loser roommate and managed to talk one of his friends in to taking over my lease at the break.  Puked in the bushes a few times and almost burned the place down after passing out after having decided to cook rice on the stove at 2 a.m. because I was too lazy to go back out and scrounge some food. 

Moved to an apartment north of campus for the spring semester and didn't miss that overpriced dump a bit. 

On 8/23/2019 at 12:59 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

Was the nickname for Towers the Hebrew Hilton or am I thinking of another one. Did only grad school at UT so wasn't hip with the undergrad lingo :)

ah fuck it, if no one is going to say it...the jewniversity towers.  during my stay pretty much the only girls that lived there pledged the jewish sororities.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, hornimal said:

ah fuck it, if no one is going to say it...the jewniversity towers.  during my stay pretty much the only girls that lived there pledged the jewish sororities.  

The ones on my hall were AEPhi.  They were friendly.

7 hours ago, huge said:

The ones on my hall were AEPhi.  They were friendly.

Depends on the year. In the early years of Dobie, in the mid-80s, all the Jewish kids lived in Dobie. That changed late on as Dobie became less desirable.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 7:05 PM, Deej said:

I remember the little rastafarian store just east of Tri Towers where all the entitled white kids bought their "Free Nelson Mandela" t-shirts back in 87.

Yeah, those Rastafarians used to blare their music in the afternoons.  Many an afternoon was spent lounging on the hot tub deck with a few suds grooving to the sweet sounds of da Islands mon. Never bought a shirt though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, old white guy said:

I worked there for a summer (or two?) ca. 1977 as a painter. The bar in the parking garage was The Bucket, changed to The Keg. 25 cent beer nights were fun. Shot pool there with Earl a couple of times. Dan Pastorini showed up at the pool table one night. 

Username checks out.

I worked there for a summer (or two?) ca. 1977 as a painter. The bar in the parking garage was The Bucket, changed to The Keg. 25 cent beer nights were fun. Shot pool there with Earl a couple of times. Dan Pastorini showed up at the pool table one night. 

Spent lots of time at The Bucket. Early 70's. There was a food place there called The Trough. Never ate there.

Spent my freshman year at Tri Towers...85'-86'. It was a dump, but had some memorable moments. The electric bill was fucked... I still believe we were getting billed for my neighbor's usage. I remember watching coverage of the Challenger explosion. I also remember some douche bags playing the Superbowl Shuffle on blast every time the Bears scored in the SB. I remember my car getting towed...that place sucked balls.