British Man goes in for surgery, gets a little taken off the top

Viper

I guess Bob is not his uncle

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-49243595

A man who was mistakenly circumcised when he went to hospital for a routine bladder procedure has been awarded £20,000 in compensation.

Terry Brazier was meant to be having botox injected in his bladder when he went in for treatment at the Leicester Royal Infirmary last summer.

However, there was a mix-up and afterwards Mr Brazier said he was told "sorry, but we've circumcised you".

The hospital said it was "deeply and genuinely sorry".

The 70-year-old said after the procedure he was left waiting for two hours until they broke the news and he just replied "Oh, have you?"

"What else could I say? I was stunned, I couldn't believe what they were telling me," he said.

'Never event'

The error was recorded as a "never event", which is a serious, largely preventable safety incident that should not occur if the available preventative measures are implemented.

It was one of eight made by Leicester's Hospitals in 2018, reported the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

The grandfather of two said he decided to take legal action after Leicester's Hospitals admitted in a letter the necessary checks had not been carried out. 

Mr Brazier, of Hinckley, said: "There's been the jokes but there is a serious side to all of this. 

"It could have been even worse for someone else, someone could end up having the wrong body part amputated.

"This shouldn't have happened and more importantly I don't want it to happen again.

"You go into hospital and put your trust in these people, you don't expect mistakes to be made, especially not one like this."

Andrew Furlong, medical director at University Hospitals of Leicester, said: "We take events like this very seriously and carried out a thorough investigation at the time to ensure that we learnt from this incident and do all we can to avoid it happening again.

"Whilst money can never undo what happened, we hope this payment provides some compensation."

Next time I have surgery, I’m going to take a Sharpie and write specific instructions on my penis that it is not to be cut. 

When I had my shoulder rebuilt the doctor came in before the surgery to discuss it with me. At the end he handed me a sharpie and told me to write on the shoulder I wanted operated on.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

When I had my shoulder rebuilt the doctor came in before the surgery to discuss it with me. At the end he handed me a sharpie and told me to write on the shoulder I wanted operated on.

When I had knee surgery my doctor autographed the leg he was going to work on when I was in pre-op.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:36 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

that’s some real pressure. Hopefully it was before you were drugged. 

Went in to get a hole in my left ear drum patched.  Had already mentioned to nurse once it was my ear while walking in to do the paperwork before they got started.  Sat down at the table, signed a few forms, and then the nurse said after looking at one page "so it is the right eye?"

My normally very good BP (115-120) went over 150 before they started drugging me.  

• 2 months later...