SCOTUS - Ginsburg

Nice Guy Eddie

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I still don't know what it supposedly means.

It’s in the same vein of Trump and the Republicans doing exactly everything they accused Hillary of doing.  

They inoculate themselves from accountability by altering the perception of their political opposition with false accusations.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

it is intended to denigrate or undermine the message of whatever someone is saying by taking the focus off their message and instead claim that they are only making the statement to demonstrate their own superiority of morality or to rouse.  effectively, just saying something to get pos rep.

ironically, i believe it could be most appropriately applied to lots of folks (including self-righteous leftists) but most apropos for people like the southern televangelist caricature.  guys like osteen, etc...

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh, so pure bullshit.  Got it.

no, there is an appropriate use of it that can apply so it isn't pure bullshit. 

however, it has been entirely co-opted by the tucker carlson/sean hannity wing of the republican party and then derivatively by the right wing internet army and it's use in most contemporary political discussion certainly signals (ha) pure bullshit.

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Thats right, they are working round the clock in Rhode Island on the boat allegation, not one single person corroborate Ramirez’s accusation and this one was totally a straight shooter with management written all over her

spacer.png

So fuck you too you virtue signaling cunt.

My avatar could kick your avatar's ass. Thanks for proving my point, fuckwad.

We are doing a cool side event with justice Sotomayor here in austin in late October if any of y’all are interested in helping out (just helping organize, obviously not monetary).   Unless your names are JS1 or hank because you guys are just plain mean and you can stay where you’ve always been, at the kids table.  

But seriously; will be a really cool event dovetailing on her book

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

IMO, she's just another example of someone putting themselves above the country. 

I thought she should have walked away when Obama started his second term for exactly this reason. 

No one needs to be in a position of power past the age of 80....I'd actually probably much younger, but good God.

For the sake of the country's future, I hope she can at least make it to January 2021

This. Her selfishness & arrogance will end up hurting this country for decades and decades after she dies. 

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Here is a visual aid.spacer.png

While I’m in agreement that you have posted a gif, and that gif appears to be you or someone else giving me the bird, so while I get all that, I’m at a loss as to what you’re trying to say? 

Are you now virtue signaling?

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

While I’m in agreement that you have posted a gif, and that gif appears to be you or someone else giving me the bird, so while I get all that, I’m at a loss as to what you’re trying to say? 

Are you now virtue signaling?

Totally.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

When used as a perjorative: It is a public statement to show others that you feel kind - usually following a modern trend (despite actually caring nothing or taking no further actions based on it).

The best non-controversial example I can give is the Ice Bucket Challenge or "I stand with XXX" trends.

Edited by JBJ

25 minutes ago, JBJ said:

When used as a perjorative: It is a public statement to show others that you feel kind - usually following a modern trend (despite actually caring nothing or taking no further actions based on it).

The best non-controversial example I can give is the Ice Bucket Challenge or "I stand with XXX" trends.

So its kinds of like when trump refers to himself as the second coming, or the messiah, or he’s the only one who can fix _______.

Is that what virtue signaling is? 

Above definition is more general, for politics it usually involves conflation of policy and ideal, "I support/oppose school vouchers because education is important."

It doesn't necessarily need be untrue, it can be irrelevant:

"I support [female] because women are equal to men."

"I hate ICE because illegal immigrants are just trying to improve their lives."

"I back the blue because they have families to go home to."

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

Above definition is more general, for politics it usually involves conflation of policy and ideal, "I support/oppose school vouchers because education is important."

It doesn't necessarily need be untrue, it can be irrelevant:

"I support [female] because women are equal to men."

"I hate ICE because illegal immigrants are just trying to improve their lives."

"I back the blue because they have families to go home to."

Still confused. So by these definitions, everything non-piece of shit people think is virtue signaling?  Doesn’t really sound like a problem. 

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I hope she doesn’t but if she does, its actually gonna work out. 

how so?

other than sweeping the House, Senate and White House, and passing appropriate legislation across all 14th/5th amendment issues (i.e. civil rights, etc.), there is no way we see progress on progressive values in our life times if Trump gets to appoint to her seat.  the Court will be OVERWHELMINGLY conservative and worse, YOUNG.

Edited by troph

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Man.  If she croaks this ain't gonna be pretty. 

Not sure if she can hold out past the 2020 election and that too if the Democrats don't fuck that up (although the way the economy looks to be heading, Trump is giving the Dems an assist).

6 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Not sure if she can hold out past the 2020 election and that too if the Democrats don't fuck that up (although the way the economy looks to be heading, Trump is giving the Dems an assist).

The Dems have really screwed themselves in terms of how the Senate is so difficult for them to win. Part of it is state demographics but they’ve also allowed too many states to flip red without a fight.  Concentrate on the cities might be a good strategy for long term chances In the House and Presidency but kills you in the senate. Which takes away the judiciary.

even if trump loses and Ginsburg remains in the Supreme Court until early 2021, it seems unlikely Moscow Mitch won’t still be the senate leader. And he may be satisfied never bringing a Dem justice nominee for a vote. He might be ok with the voting makeup of 8 justices.

and even if these is enough pressure to force a vote, a gop led senate can just vote no. 

If she dies in 2020, at least we could hammer repubs for being hypocritical assholes. Everyone remembers when merrick garland didn’t even receive a hearing in 2016 because Moscow Mitch said he wouldn’t. That’s the only reason. I really hate mcconnell.

Hammer then for hypocrisy, That's cute.

17 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

After the repubs willingly voted for trump,

repubs cant complain about the character of a president anymore and they also can’t complain about the deficit anymore either. Trump has blown a massive hole through the deficit. 

amin laughing GIF

The second a Democrat is in office they will go back to banging that drum and the Republican base will eat it up.

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Still confused. So by these definitions, everything non-piece of shit people think is virtue signaling?  Doesn’t really sound like a problem. 

This is a fascinating response.  Defending virtue-signalling by virtue-signalling.  It's like the Inception of political marketing.

And no.  But that's the entire point of virtue-signalling.

Edited by JBJ

10 hours ago, JBJ said:

This is a fascinating response.  Defending virtue-signalling by virtue-signalling.  It's like the Inception of political marketing.

And no.  But that's the entire point of virtue-signalling.

Your attack on virtue signaling seems like virtue signaling to me. And if you attack me that’s obviously more virtue signaling against a non virtue signaler. 

9 hours ago, DixonHur said:

What the fuck is virtue signaling?  Sounds like something made up by people who have now idea what the fuck they're talking about. 

Reminds me of cultural appropriation.

"I am a very stable genius" is virtue signaling. It's just a fancy phrase to describe someone who's a fucking douche canoe.

RBG dying in 2020 would be a disaster for the GOP. Last thing they need is the rallying of Democrat voters like what happened in 2016 when Scalia died. It also doesn't help that Kentucky Mitch said it's inappropriate to pick a SCOTUS judge in an election year.

2 minutes ago, retread said:

If she died on Nov. 1, 2020, Turtle would confirm a new judge by election day. He would have no trouble holding a press conf. and giving you a history lesson as to why he did it, and he would sleep like a baby that night.

If he did that we would have at least a total of 13 Supreme Court justices within a year, tops. Probably sooner. 

20 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

RBG dying in 2020 would be a disaster for the GOP. Last thing they need is the rallying of Democrat voters like what happened in 2016 when Scalia died. It also doesn't help that Kentucky Mitch said it's inappropriate to pick a SCOTUS judge in an election year.

It would motivate the GOP as much if not more.  They've proven to have two principles they don't ever stray from.

1. Paying as little in taxes as possible.

2. Packing the courts with conservative judges.

There is nothing else they value more.  If RBG died in 2020, a lot of people who don't like Trump and were thinking about voting against him would hold their nose and vote for him again because "Trump will only be around another 4 years, but that justice will shape the supreme court for a generation."

• Like 2