SCOTUS - Ginsburg

Nice Guy Eddie

22 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

RBG dying in 2020 would be a disaster for the GOP. Last thing they need is the rallying of Democrat voters like what happened in 2016 when Scalia died. It also doesn't help that Kentucky Mitch said it's inappropriate to pick a SCOTUS judge in an election year.

Couldn’t disagree more. 

Its been proven time and time again that Supreme Court openings motivate conservatives to vote more than any other thing. Democrats will be very motivated to vote no matter what because they hate trump. We need Ginsburg to at least make it to 2021 so that we have what I call a “fair chance” in the election. We need this election to be a referendum about trump and not anything else. 

The GOP has been very fortunate the last 2 cycles. In 2016, Scalia died and the assholes in the senate kept that seat open for an eternity. Conservatives flooded the polls as much as they could, trump got elected, they had full control of government, they got their justice, and they almost killed Obamacare.

In 2018, Dotard convinced Justice Kennedy to retire by promising that he would replace him with someone “good and conservative”. Republicans nominated Kavanaugh, democrats fought it and lost because repubs had all the cards. The Supreme Court openings and the kavanaugh hearings gave the republicans much higher turnout than expected. Granted we still kicked their ass overall, but they were still able to get rid of some red state Dems in the senate and win some big governor races. I don’t think they would’ve done nearly as well if Kennedy hadn’t retired and the kavanaugh hearings hadn’t pissed conservatives off all over the country.

Trump is a massive douchebag who is always looking for every competitive advantage he can because he knows he’s not popular and he needs to rig things into his favor to win. I wouldn’t put it past Trump to convince conservative Justice Clarence Thomas to retire during the 2020 election cycle if RBG doesn’t die by then, or if he’s re-elected, he could try to get Thomas to retire in 2022 to boost turnout.

On 8/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Voldemort86 said:

Trump is a massive douchebag who is always looking for every competitive advantage he can because he knows he’s not popular and he needs to rig things into his favor to win.

That's the GOP in general. Those losers know full well that they cannot win on their own merits so they reach for every single underhanded tactic that there is in order to come out ahead. It also doesn't help that the DNC is its own worst enemy, but that's kinda the point: all those factors in conjunction with each other permit the GOP to come out with the narrowest of majorities around half of the time.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:24 AM, HRSchenker said:

RBG dying in 2020 would be a disaster for the GOP. Last thing they need is the rallying of Democrat voters like what happened in 2016 when Scalia died. It also doesn't help that Kentucky Mitch said it's inappropriate to pick a SCOTUS judge in an election year.

Mitch McConnel said he would fill the seat if it became open next year. He doesn't give a shit. Lindsey Graham said he wouldn't vote to fill it but I bet he would reverse course. 

9 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Mitch McConnel said he would fill the seat if it became open next year. He doesn't give a shit. Lindsey Graham said he wouldn't vote to fill it but I bet he would reverse course. 

Lindsey would always vote to fill a vacant hole. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

If I was going to march on something, it would be against SCOTUS. I am absolutely naive, but the placing of justices to pack a court to gain political advantage is wrong in so many ways and yet so brazenly accepted by Americans as business as usual. It needs to stop. I want nine of the most revered respected impeccably referenced people not legal hacks.

• Like 1

The design of our Constitution is that a political official is the one who nominates justices and political bodies approve of those justices. How on earth has the SC ever been non-political? It has been a tool of politics from the beginning and it literally, by design of the US Constitution, cannot be anything else.

When Washington chose the first guys, did he make sure to balance Federalists and anti-Federalists? No, it was ALL strong federalists. That's the early 1790s.

The 11th amendment exists because the hyper-partisan SC's ruling in Chisolm vs. Georgia where the SC stripped states of sovereign immunity.

- There has never been a non-partisan, apolitical Supreme Court.
- The design of the U.S. Constitution makes a non-partisan, apolitical Supreme Court impossible.

This is a war. It's never going to stop being a war.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

The design of our Constitution is that a political official is the one who nominates justices and political bodies approve of those justices. How on earth has the SC ever been non-political? It has been a tool of politics from the beginning and it literally, by design of the US Constitution, cannot be anything else.

When Washington chose the first guys, did he make sure to balance Federalists and anti-Federalists? No, it was ALL strong federalists. That's the early 1790s.

The 11th amendment exists because the hyper-partisan SC's ruling in Chisolm vs. Georgia where the SC stripped states of sovereign immunity.

- The design of the U.S. Constitution makes a non-partisan, apolitical Supreme Court impossible.

Why don't you treat it like a war?

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Mayor Pete had something to say about this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

If I was going to march on something, it would be against SCOTUS. I am absolutely naive, but the placing of justices to pack a court to gain political advantage is wrong in so many ways and yet so brazenly accepted by Americans as business as usual. It needs to stop. I want nine of the most revered respected impeccably referenced people not legal hacks.

You will get your chance to march sometime in 2021-2022. 

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Thank you so much for reminding me that I never paid attention in History class. It's my own fault, had the football coach who put up the test questions in advance on transparencies complete with answers and so I pretty much dialed it in for four years. Have been paying for it ever since but at least I'm a little wiser now, if not smarter! Guess I'd better head to the library this weekend....

• 1 month later...

I predict Ginsburg outlasts Clarence Thomas on the bench.   86 year old thin Jewish woman who works out vs a 71 year old overweight African American man (work out status unknown).   The numbers have to be on RBG’s side.  I will admit that RGB’s history of having cancer like others have the flu, makes it a close race.

RBG making it until the election this year doesn’t feel so difficult anymore.

now I’m wondering how the hell she would make it by the end of trumps second term. You know mcconnell would confirm a new justice on trumps last day.

i really wish mcconnell would get sick and have to step down. All that guy does is kill legislation and vote on judges. Nothing productive at all from that loser.

Edited by Voldemort86

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

RBG making it until the election this year doesn’t feel so difficult anymore.

now I’m wondering how the hell she would make it by the end of trumps second term. You know mcconnell would confirm a new justice on trumps last day.

i really wish mcconnell would get sick and have to step down. All that guy does is kill legislation and vote on judges. Nothing productive at all from that loser.

It's unlikely that Ginsburg (86) or Breyer (81) would serve until the end of a second trump term.  Thomas (72) isn't out of the question as well.  Assuming Trump wins, and the first two justices are out, then conservatives would hold a 7-2 advantage.  It's tough to campaign on potential retirements (death) but I think this will be an election issue this year. If Trump can put 2-3 youngish justices on the court, the court will be conservative for the next 20 years.

Crazy that Thomas was put on the bench at 43 years old.  Even Kavanaugh and Gorsuch were in their early 50s when nominated.

If there is a President Biden (Warren, whatever) you have to assume Ginsburg and Breyer would announce their retirement almost immediately upon the confirmation of their replacement. You figure that it will be a long fight against McConnell and a GOP Senate to allow even a moderate Dem to be placed on the bench.

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's unlikely that Ginsburg (86) or Breyer (81) would serve until the end of a second trump term.  Thomas (72) isn't out of the question as well.  Assuming Trump wins, and the first two justices are out, then conservatives would hold a 7-2 advantage.  It's tough to campaign on potential retirements (death) but I think this will be an election issue this year. If Trump can put 2-3 youngish justices on the court, the court will be conservative for the next 20 years.

Crazy that Thomas was put on the bench at 43 years old.  Even Kavanaugh and Gorsuch were in their early 50s when nominated.

If there is a President Biden (Warren, whatever) you have to assume Ginsburg and Breyer would announce their retirement almost immediately upon the confirmation of their replacement. You figure that it will be a long fight against McConnell and a GOP Senate to allow even a moderate Dem to be placed on the bench.

I’m going to upset some Bernie bro’s and it’s unfortunate because we’re all democrats who hate trump, but I think Biden and buttigeg are the only electable candidates. 

at this point, I think we’re likely looking at a second term for trump. All is not lost tho, if I had to guess the electoral college map today it would all come down to Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. The margin for error for trump is narrow.

Edited by Voldemort86

12 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I’m going to upset some Bernie bro’s and it’s unfortunate because we’re all democrats who hate trump, but I think Biden and buttigeg are the only electable candidates. 

I'm curious about your reasoning:  Biden and Bernie are roughly the same age, Warren is well younger, and Pete is gay.  I'm not sure it's very clear cut.

RBG gonna outlive us all.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but the documentary about her life - it’s on Hulu I think - is a must watch.

I know superlatives get thrown around so much they become almost meaningless but she is truly a pioneering badass. She’s my actual hero and I wish I had 1/10th of whatever it is she possesses that makes her so awesome.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm curious about your reasoning:  Biden and Bernie are roughly the same age, Warren is well younger, and Pete is gay.  I'm not sure it's very clear cut.

There's a thread for that, please. Can we not bump this one continually while that discussion plays out (I'm sure the b_t signal will be answered soon)?

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You figure that it will be a long fight against McConnell and a GOP Senate to allow even a moderate Dem to be placed on the bench.

Dude, McConnell will hold up a confirmation for 4 years if he has to.  There will never be a liberal judge as long as McConnell lives.

3 minutes ago, softlynow said:

There's a thread for that, please. Can we not bump this one continually while that discussion plays out (I'm sure the b_t signal will be answered soon)?

Sorry, I got sucked in to the assertion without thinking about the lack of context.

• 6 months later...

It’s just very inconvenient and unfortunate.

Trump is desperate for anything right now... literally anything to try and change his fortunes around.

I don’t think a Supreme Court vacancy can save trump, but it could save some senate seats and lessen the damage they suffer in the house and state legislatures.

the GOP deserves to suffer a blue tsunami after enabling trump the last few years so I guess will be watching this thread while crossing my damn fingers.