SCOTUS - Ginsburg

Nice Guy Eddie

Congress is full of buffoons. Once we establish the precedent of packing the court, SCOTUS will have 100+ justices by the time power swings back and forth a few times. I think I would prefer terms limits (12 years, 3 replaced every 4 years) so that fresh blood is cycled through the court regularly. No reason for RBG to have to endure this bullshit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Trump could shoot RBG in the middle of 5th Avenue and it wouldn't matter.  Susan Collins might be concerned, that's it.

Reporter: Senator, what is your opinion or reaction to the news that Trump murdered RBG?

Republican Senator: I haven't heard or read what you are talking about. [Hastily run/walks away]

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Reporter: Senator, what is your opinion or reaction to the news that Trump murdered RBG?

Republican Senator: I haven't heard or read what you are talking about. [Hastily run/walks away]

[Hastily runs away to vote to confirm Justice Jeanine Pirro]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Trump could shoot RBG in the middle of 5th Avenue and it wouldn't matter.  Susan Collins might be concerned, that's it.

Susan Collins would assume he realized he “made a mistake” and since “learned” from it. She’s the embodiment of right wing politics in general: bottomless naïveté with a relentless pursuit of believing in pretend.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Cnn said her treatment is palliative, not currative. So...this seems real bad. 

Not necessarily. If it’s true she’s getting chemo that means there is a reasonable chance of extending her life. I guess that’s technically palliative in that they aren’t going to be able to get her into remission. Truly palliative care would be comfort measures only. Also if they can suppress the growth of the liver lesions and she doesn’t succumb to the chemo side effects she could easily make it to the first of the year

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

The type of person who would accept a nomination under these circumstances is not the type of person who has the supreme courts best interests in mind.

The type of person who would not hold hearings on a potential nominee 8 months prior to an election is not the type of person who has the supreme court’s best interests in mind.

Depending on the election, in theory she needs to only survive until on or about Jan. 1-2 (in what I think is an extreme scenario).  This Congress ends on Jan. 3, 2021.  If the Senate flips, then the Democrats can ignore any Trump nomination in the 117th Congress. 

Supreme Court nominations are subject to 30 hours of post cloture debate.  After that, the Democrats can run out the clock on the Congress. 

But that’s all theory, ultimately, McConnell can overturn a ruling of the chair with a simple majority and make the rules whatever he wants.  

So really, if the Democrats take back the Senate, she needs to survive to Jan. 4. 

30 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

At the risk of being meme’d with laughing green shirt guy... do we think there are three GOP no votes? Romney feels like a no. After that?

Romney, possibly Murkowski, could be Nays depending on the nominee and how aggressive McConnell is willing to bend/break the rules. 

Preelection Collins for certain will be hard to get to yes if the nominee is awful, like Naomi Rao. 

If it’s post election and the GOP loses 5+ seats, I could see Grassley, Toomey, Moran, and Portman worrying about their seats in 2022. Maybe. Any GOPer who loses This November will automatically become a Yes to be able to work in K street.

except for the ones who lose and just don’t come back to town. Which happens.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

If something like this does happen, the dems should grow a pair and expand the supreme court. 

That really is a totally awful idea. It’s not like the shoe won’t ever be on the other foot. 
recess appointment or before midterm appointment is also a terrible idea btw. But it’s at least within the bounds of run of the mill bad ideas like Harry Reid getting rid of the filibuster, not ending up with 387 people in the Supreme Court in my lifetime bad ideas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I don't think RBG would have it any other way. 

That is, she would probably do this regardless of the political circumstances, unless she felt her faculties slipping.  She's made the law her life.  

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

like OMG wow she is literally the only thing!

i hadn't worried about anything till now. i have to stop reading the news man, its depressing AF. 

hopefully theres more things between fat hateful fingers and red buttons.

ya'll homies be cool now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, staboner said:

like OMG wow she is literally the only thing!

i hadn't worried about anything till now. i have to stop reading the news man, its depressing AF. 

hopefully theres more things between fat hateful fingers and red buttons.

ya'll homies be cool now.

Want to know how I know you're not paying attention?

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That really is a totally awful idea. It’s not like the shoe won’t ever be on the other foot. 
recess appointment or before midterm appointment is also a terrible idea btw. But it’s at least within the bounds of run of the mill bad ideas like Harry Reid getting rid of the filibuster, not ending up with 387 people in the Supreme Court in my lifetime bad ideas. 

That’s why if your going to do it, you need to bring DC and Puerto Rico in as states, to change the balance of the Senate.

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m a big fan of mutually assured destruction. The GOP does whatever they want because they known the Dems are pussies and will try to “do it the right way”.

Fuck that after what they did to Obama’s appointees for 2 years. If they think they can pull some middle of the night SC nominee crap, they need to know there will be consequences. 

23 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

At the risk of being meme’d with laughing green shirt guy... do we think there are three GOP no votes? Romney feels like a no. After that?

I don’t think every senator would immediately drop all senate rules or history to push a nominee thru in the scenario of the gop just having lost the WH and senate but in the lame duck session. They would reasonably recognize that the Dems could legally pack the court. Not to mention they could be punished even further in the future.

Biden, Schumer and Pelosi - “you just added 1 conservative justice, then we’re adding 6 liberal justices.”

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t think every senator would immediately drop all senate rules or history to push a nominee thru in the scenario of the gop just having lost the WH and senate but in the lame duck session. They would reasonably recognize that the Dems could legally pack the court. Not to mention they could be punished even further in the future.

Biden, Schumer and Pelosi - “you just added 1 conservative justice, then we’re adding 6 liberal justices.”

Wait you’re suggesting the GOP uses foresight and understands the consequences of their actions?