SCOTUS - Ginsburg

Nice Guy Eddie

An open seat from a liberal justice is one thing that would flip the 2020 election like a coin. I don’t know realistically how fast McConnell can bring on a new justice but my guess is that we would find out. Maybe attempt a vote on the new justice before the funeral.

and don’t even pretend for a second that he’s going to be fair in terms s of his words from 2016 in replacing Alito. If trump loses, McConnell would still attempt a lame duck confirmation if he could it by.

edit: This situations, where both sides are counting on RGB living or dying, are reasons why lifetime appointments are bad. Each justice seat should have 18 year terms tops, if not 9. Then you have a regular cadence of switching them out. Obviously if someone dies or retires, then the replacement only gets to fulfill the remaining term. RGB should have retired in 2009 when Obama could have replaced her with another liberal justice who would be 60-65 now. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

ow mcconnell would confirm a new justice on trumps last day.

i really wish mcconnell would get sick and have to step down. All that guy does is kill legislation and vote on judges. Nothing productive at all from that loser.

And traffic cocaine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure it effects 2020 voters, as the ones who know anything about the court surely know this seat will be opening in the next term anyway. But it definitely affects all life as we know it, starting with the ability to invalidate a Biden victory before he can be inaugurated. 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

Hanging on to the health of one of our oligarchs like some 14th century peasant wondering if the lord will be replaced by his asshole half brother or his kindly son in law.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I suspect McConnell would sit on the Nomination until after the election and do it in the lame duck in an effort to save his majority. I mean, a vacancy pretty much dooms Collins, Gardner, and McSally, and makes that Tillis and Daines seats real shaky, as well as potentially Kansas if it helps Kobach get the nomination over Roger Marshall. 

Kavanaugh didn’t help the GOP in 2018, and his confirmation fight was 6 weeks before.

15 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I suspect McConnell would sit on the Nomination until after the election and do it in the lame duck in an effort to save his majority. I mean, a vacancy pretty much dooms Collins, Gardner, and McSally, and makes that Tillis and Daines seats real shaky, as well as potentially Kansas if it helps Kobach get the nomination over Roger Marshall. 

Kavanaugh didn’t help the GOP in 2018, and his confirmation fight was 6 weeks before.

I really, really hope that’s how it shakes out. But man I don’t want to take that chance. 

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I really, really hope that’s how it shakes out. But man I don’t want to take that chance. 

If I reading it right, he’s saying McConnell pushes it through during lame duck so as not to have to face the electoral backlash at ballot box. 

that would cause riots and ensure the court is packed next time Ds have control which would be 2022 (if his plan was successful is preserving r control of senate). 

Edited by Anastasis

IF McConnell packs the court with a rushed nomination I predict the Democrats will expand the court, in an attempt at fairness.  Then the GOP will expand the court under the Guise of fairness with a cheshire cat smile.  

McConnell will damage the Senate permanently, and will insist and scream that it was the Dems not, Patriot Mitch.   But the end result will be that the Senate will be exactly like the House and will no longer be a tempering force, but merely a rubber stamp of the party in power in a never ending seesaw of partisanship.  

Since it would be terrible for our country I can only assume that Trump and McConnell will gleefully wound our nation,

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If I reading it right, he’s saying McConnell pushes it through during lame duck so as not to have to face the electoral backlash at ballot box. 

that would cause riots and ensure the court is packed next time Ds have control which would be 2022 (if his plan was successful is preserving r control of senate). 

Ah. I misunderstood it to mean bed table it till after the election. Not sure what I was fucking thinking. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah.  I think McConnell moving to replace RBG this close to the election, whether before or after would likely be the straw that breaks the Senate.  If the Democrats win back the Senate and White House, my guess is Biden would be forced to accept the end of the filibuster, bring DC and Puerto Rico into the Union(thus expand the Senate by 4 seats), and pack the court by a simple majority.  The country would move to straight majority rule.

its just not clear to me if there are 50 GOP senators who are willing to go that route. 

Edited by Bateshorn

30 minutes ago, Horndog said:

That’s bad. Worse than any other news about her. 

Im not a doctor but while she will probably make it long enough to not have trump fill her seat since she will have excellent medical treatment,  the clock is in all likelihood, ticking. 

McConnell will be in a tight spot for sure if RBG dies. If he allows a nomination to go forward before the election he will lose the majority (and possibly his own seat). If he doesn’t allow a nomination to go through, everyone will assume he’s going to try to rush something through during the lame duck session which again puts the senate majority including his seat in jeopardy.

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

McConnell will be in a tight spot for sure if RBG dies. If he allows a nomination to go forward before the election he will lose the majority (and possibly his own seat). If he doesn’t allow a nomination to go through, everyone will assume he’s going to try to rush something through during the lame duck session which again puts the senate majority including his seat in jeopardy.

He will absolutely confirm someone in the lame duck session. He has already stated publicly that he would rush an appointment through, confirming that he is not a man of his word.  Nobody bought that bullshit "stand" he made on Garland anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

He would absolutely fill it during the lame duck session. When has he ever given a fuck about norms and decorum

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Not cool, man. I very much want to replace her with a Conservative, but not that way. Not that way at all.

She beat pancreatic cancer and now has liver cancer? Tough lady there.

"What you want and what you need, don't mean a fuck to me!" - Maynard James Keenan

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

From my admittedly antiquated memory of Senate rules,  I figure if she can hang on until about Jan. 1, the dems can probably filibuster the Congress to a conclusion.  

But make no mistake: if she were to die on say Dec.28, McConnell would bring the Senate back into session immediately and try to ram through a nominee If the GOP lost the election. They wouldn’t even have a committee hearing. 

6 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

From my admittedly antiquated memory of Senate rules,  I figure if she can hang on until about Jan. 1, the dems can probably filibuster the Congress to a conclusion.  

But make no mistake: if she were to die on say Dec.28, McConnell would bring the Senate back into session immediately and try to ram through a nominee If the GOP lost the election. They wouldn’t even have a committee hearing. 

I would like to think something this craven would end the Republican Party for good.

But I know better.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It would lead to an expansion of the Supreme Court and a dem majority as a result. 

Yup. It won't effect the current decisions since losing 6-3 is no different then losing 5-4 but this move will absolutely result in tremendous pressure to pack the court.  For this reason I hope Moscow Mitch does it. 

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The new congress starts on Jan 3rd, so how late McConnell can act depends on who wins control of the Senate in Nov.  I don't put anything past McConnell but there are somewhat defined steps that he has to take.  Not sure he could jump from nomination to vote within a few days.  It wouldn't shock me if that type of move actually ends up in front of SCOTUS to rule on it.

26 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Not cool, man. I very much want to replace her with a Conservative, but not that way. Not that way at all.

She beat pancreatic cancer and now has liver cancer? Tough lady there.

She also had colon cancer in the late 90s.

20 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

He's in a tight spot only because we all know he has no integrity and will not play by the rules himself laid out in 2016.

Anyway, the court's institutional integrity, and maybe the political alignment for the next couple decades may ride on whether RBG can make it to January 20 (assuming a Biden victory, for arguments sake only). If she dies, and the Court ends up quickly taking an abortion case and overturning Roe/Casey, things should get interesting. First, there will be a real push to increase the size of the Court, and the politics of the Court will only get more divisive. Second, a not insignificant number of reliable Republican votes will shift on that issue alone.

I say all this to wonder whether McConnell would balk because winning on this issue, like immigration, isn't really in the GOPs interest. Campaigning on abortion, passing half measures on abortion, sure that works great. But making it a rallying cry for women in purple states?

31 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

That’s bad. Worse than any other news about her. 

Im not a doctor but while she will probably make it long enough to not have trump fill her seat since she will have excellent medical treatment,  the clock is in all likelihood, ticking. 

IANAD either and can only speak from experience. My dad was dead within a week of being diagnosed with liver and pancreatic cancer in 1992. Obviously the cases differ - treatments improved in the last 28 years and my dad was not a SC Justice with the best medical care available. Still, this news makes me nauseous. Hang in there Ruthie.

Right now.....

I’m almost getting Dennis Green vibes or “we let em off the hook!”. 

The political environment is so damn toxic for the GOP right now. We have people who have voted GOP for all their lives making videos on YouTube saying that they’re voting for Biden to get rid of Trump. Coronavirus being the main story in the news is literally destroying Trump everyday right now. His numbers are dropping like crazy.

This could possibly change everything especially if it happens before September and Trump gets the bitter nasty confirmation hearing that he desperately wants. We really need her to hold on until after people vote. I just don’t want anything to happen that helps trump. He’s the most disgusting and vile piece of shit to ever be president. This country can’t take another 4 years of him.

40 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

If there is one thing we have learned the last three and a half years, it is that rules do not matter.