Which EPL team do you root for?

Ted Lange

Which EPL team do you root for   

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which EPL team do you root for

44 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

How did y’all pick a team? That’s my thing. It’s hard for me to just hop on a bandwagon and maintain that loyalty through “tough” times if I have no history with that team. Did y’all just blindly select a team, or how did that work for most of y’all?

Watch some matches every weekend. Your team will find you. For me, Liverpool was a team I was always interested in based on the connection to the Beatles and a local radio guy here in DFW always talking about them and his travels to see them. This was back when you had to hunt for EPL matches in the US on DirecTV or pay an assload for a soccer package. I think the first match I watched was Liverpool at Wigan. It wasn't great, I think it was a 1-0 game on midweek at 2pm on Fox Sports Net. Watched them some more over subsequent seasons and kept coming back to rooting for them over other clubs. Now, we're so lucky to get almost every match in some form televised on NBC Sports. And don't worry about being a bandwagoner. We're all technically bandwagoners. We didn't grow up a Scouser, a Toffee, a Gunner, or a Spur. We have the luxury of choice over here. There, it's where you're born or who your father rooted for. 

Obviously, London clubs are easier if you want to go see them in person. Read up on some histories and see if any of them seem to be a fit. 

Good stuff here

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

How did y’all pick a team? That’s my thing. It’s hard for me to just hop on a bandwagon and maintain that loyalty through “tough” times if I have no history with that team. Did y’all just blindly select a team, or how did that work for most of y’all?

I was having dinner in Austin with a buddy from NYC and another friend who lived in Austin.  They were saying I should pick a PL team esp now that my daughter was playing club soccer and I was really learning the game.    NYC guy is a Liverpool fan and Austin buddy is a Arsenal fan.  And Arsenal fan said "Just don't pick Spurs followed by a bunch of derogatory words"   So I picked Spurs right there at dinner just to get under his skin.  Plus living in SA it seemed logical.   When I was at the NLD in March I was riding the tube from central London out the the match at Wembley and this guy and his family kept looking at my San Antonio Tottenham Spurs Scarf and he finally says to me.  I have a bunch of San Antonio NBA Spurs gear.  I love Tim, Manu, Tony, Pop etc.  

Edited by midtown

14 minutes ago, midtown said:

I was having dinner in Austin with a buddy from NYC and another friend who lived in Austin.  They were saying I should pick a PL team esp now that my daughter was playing club soccer and I was really learning the game.    NYC guy is a Liverpool fan and Austin buddy is a Arsenal fan.  And Arsenal fan said "Just don't pick Spurs followed by a bunch of derogatory words"   So I picked Spurs right there at dinner just to get under his skin.  Plus living in SA it seemed logical.   When I was at the NLD in March I was riding the tube from central London out the the match at Wembley and this guy and his family kept looking at my San Antonio Tottenham Spurs Scarf and he finally says to me.  I have a bunch of San Antonio NBA Spurs gear.  I love Tim, Manu, Tony, Pop etc.  

What a shit story....

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My mom’s boss went to London when I was around 10. He brought me back an Arsenal shirt. When I started following soccer 20 years ago, I picked Arsenal because of that gift back in the day, and because they were having the most successful run in their history at the time.

fify. 😉

18 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Fox Sports Net showed up in my tv package back in 08 or 09 or so and I started watching games before CFB got rolling on Saturday mornings.  I wasn't familiar with any of the teams outside of Man U and Liverpool.  For whatever reason I gravitated to Spurs and that was that. 

Family....dad and my nana were born in liverpool

Cousins would mail the echo over to dad to keep up with the league back in the day...i liked liverpool and dad has been everton his whole life.

My story is lame and yes I'm a lame newbie fan, but the Manchester City 2011 title run was actually covered somewhat by ESPN and as a Philly guy, I can relate to a fan base that really cares but suffers for decades. So I was happy for City that year and since have realized that they are simply fun to watch. They don't dive or play dirty, they certainly don't park the bus.

I admit I can't make myself care all that much when they lose. I'm sure they have garbage local fans and I know they're owned by a Middle East monarch so that's not as easy to brush off as a US slimy car dealer type. I've read about the salary accusations and to me it comes off like SEC teams bitching at each other (also why is this not better regulated?).

Bottom line, the quality of play in EPL is outstanding and the commercial free broadcasts are a great way to start weekend mornings. It's fun to have a team to root for and I don't blame anyone for picking top 6 to stay interested all year. I'll save my hate for Mets/Cowboys/Celtics/NYR.

I LOVE soccer and I've never been able to stick with a Premier League team for some reason. The first team I ever tried to follow was Newcastle because they signed Patrick Kluivert who was my favorite player in the old FIFA video games but the EPL was hard to access in those days. I then flirted with Liverpool for a while because the 2005 Champions League Final was the first one I ever saw. I rooted for Everton for a little bit (yes I know that's counter intuitive having rooted briefly for Liverpool) but I got to know Roberto Martinez a little bit and despite his flaws as a coach he is one of the nicest human beings I've ever met.

Now I'm just rooting for players. I have no affinity for Chelsea, but the USMNT is how I got into soccer so I want to see Pulisic do well. I've tried to get interested in Newcastle again because Miguel Almiron was so instrumental in Atlanta United winning MLS Cup but they're miserable to watch. Of the big six I tend to lean towards Liverpool to actually root for because Dortmund was the first European team I ever rooted for and stuck with and Klopp was the coach there when I first started following them, but I have no emotional investment in them.

On 8/23/2019 at 4:31 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

ManU

Some family from there and cousins were ball boys there in the 90’s.  Surprised as someone else said how few are fans here.  

Stated on a previous thread...

Fulham first because of Dempsey, Bocanegra, McBride, etc..  matter of fact, the competitive team I founded in Knoxville back in '04 still goes by Fulham.

About 7 years ago I needed another team to follow.  I didn't want to jump on a bandwagon.  I happened across a doc about Hillsborough and have been all Liverpool since then.  Kind of cool and fun considering the past few ywars.