Popeye's chicken sandwich

Mojo Hand

Just tried it for the first time. Pretty fucking good. It’s much better than chick fil a. Much much crispier. Bigger chicken patty. Better bun. Only $3.99 is a pretty fucking good deal. It certainly does not merit the public freakout, but it will be my go-to fast food chicken sandwich from now on.

• Like 2

I, too, tried it for the first time today and it was.... okay. It was crunchier than the Chick-fil-A sandwhich but not nearly as spicy or as tender. It did have more pickles, which was nice, but I don't understand why Popeyes didn't put the spice in the breading rather than the mayo. The big plus was that I got to pair it with a red beans and rice side.  

I think I'll stick with Chick-fil-A for all my spicy chicken sandwich needs and keep Popeyes as my side piece for when I need a 4 piece spicy chicken/biscuit/red beans and rice meal. 

What a disappointment.  I'd give that maybe a 6 out of 10.  It wasn't bad, but just not memorable in any way.  Definitely not better than CFA.  One of my sons had a sandwich and one had tenders.  Sandwich boy said CFA is much better and tendie boy said his were better than CFA but not as good as Cane's.  Only reason to go back is if I'm really wanting a chicken sandwich on a Sunday.

Maybe if I got one made fresh, I'd feel differently.  But it had clearly been sitting around for a long time and was lukewarm, along with the fries.  And this was at 12:15 today.

Say what you will about CFA and their so-called steamed buns, but their food is hot when you get it.  Every time.

21 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Stomach wasn’t feeling great that day and I had a couple hours of driving time ahead of me.  Didn’t want to agitate it and have to drop a deuce in a gas station shitter.

Pro tip: the lobby shitters in chain hotels (Hampton Inns, Fairfield Inns, etc.) are clean, comfortable, and convenient.  Just stroll through like you're a paying guest and take care of your business.

• Like 3

How does it compare to Wendy's?  The closest CFA to me is in the GD airport, and while SWA fares are fairly cheap, not buying one just to get a fucking sandwich from CFA.  My guess on the mayo vs. breading is probably fridge/freezer space, easier to slab on the mayo than it is to breakout either regular or spicy patties for frying. 

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

How does it compare to Wendy's?  The closest CFA to me is in the GD airport, and while SWA fares are fairly cheap, not buying one just to get a fucking sandwich from CFA.  My guess on the mayo vs. breading is probably fridge/freezer space, easier to slab on the mayo than it is to breakout either regular or spicy patties for frying. 

Haven't had Wendy's in ages, so I can't help there.

Just now, Underdog said:

i've wondered about this too. i've eaten way too many wendy's spicy chicken sammy's at Hobby waiting for a connection.  always subbed mustard though.

35 minutes ago, Underdog said:

My guess on the mayo vs. breading is probably fridge/freezer space, easier to slab on the mayo than it is to breakout either regular or spicy patties for frying. 

My guess is they want to limit the variables.  Anything they can do to curtail the propensity for their employees to fuck up something else up.

Last time I had wendy’s the patty was 1/8 inch thick and half of it was soggy breading. The chicken itself was dry af.

• Like 1

Popeyes is better than CFA with and without mayo, chicken is bigger and a lot more crispy, pickles are better and the bun is just as good as CFA. Popeyes will never come close to the service or cleanliness of CFA, but no other fast food joint will either.

• Like 1

I need a baseline here as I am Captain of Team #Fuckmayo.
CFA regular (not spicy) sando vs. Popeye's regular sando, hold the mayo.
Is it a unanimous decision? I'd love to do a side by side but the only CFA near here is in the mail food court 20 minutes from the closest Popeye's.
Not unanimous at all.

16 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Is it a unanimous decision? I'd love to do a side by side but the only CFA near here is in the mail food court 20 minutes from the closest Popeye's.

I really want to get a Popeyes regular sandwich minus mayo and throw on some of golden chick's lotta zing spice. I think that would be the king of fast food chicken sandwiches. 

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
16 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Not unanimous at all.

I agree. Mine was probably fried with shrimp/seafood so it didn't taste like chicken - the taste was just off, the chicken wasn't tender. Wasn't spicy. Basically crap. The Red Beans and Rice were bland and the fries weren't good. The only decent thing about the experience was that I didn't eat much so I'm healthier for that.

I don't love the CFA sandwich, but I know what I'm getting and its fast and consistent.

• Like 1

Got mine yesterday. Slightly more interesting than Chik-fil-A, less tasty than other things they've always served at Popeye's. Next time I'm there I'll go back to two pieces of dark meat (like your mom does.)

Just another thing to add to my list of Shit Americans Care About That Leave No Impression On Me like SUVs, Energy Drinks, Kardasshian Asses, Chik-fil-A, Gated Communities, NFL, and Whatever That Shit Is That You Stare At All Day On Your Phone.

6 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Just another thing to add to my list of Shit Americans Care About That Leave No Impression On Me like SUVs, Energy Drinks, Kardasshian Asses, Chik-fil-A, Gated Communities, NFL, and Whatever That Shit Is That You Stare At All Day On Your Phone.

You're on it, bro.

• Like 1

Got one yesterday while on a road trip, stopped at a place in Arkansas off the highway just outside Little Rock where there was no line in the store and and the service was friendly and as competent as it could be in Arkansas.   The spicy sandwich was pretty damn good for what it is....a fast food chicken sandwich.   Anybody waiting in any line more than a few minutes for this thing though is fucking stupid.  

Popeyes is better than CFA with and without mayo, chicken is bigger and a lot more crispy, pickles are better and the bun is just as good as CFA. Popeyes will never come close to the service or cleanliness of CFA, but no other fast food joint will either.

This pretty much sums it up.

The wife and I each had one yesterday. Didnt have to wait in line and didn’t have to kill a bitch. Really good sandwich for fast food but CFA is still a nicer dining atmosphere overall.

Stopped at Popeye's yesterday on my way to a buddy's house to pick up a couple of chicken boxes for the Tech game.

It was about 10:45, (early game) and there was no line and only one other customer. Got a spicy sandwich to split in addition to the boxes.

As noted above, nice bun, crispy chicken, it was tasty. I wouldn't commit a murder, (or even jaywalk) for it, but I'd order it again.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:36 AM, DoobieWah said:

Stopped at Popeye's yesterday on my way to a buddy's house to pick up a couple of chicken boxes for the Tech game.

It was about 10:45, (early game) and there was no line and only one other customer. Got a spicy sandwich to split in addition to the boxes.

As noted above, nice bun, crispy chicken, it was tasty. I wouldn't commit a murder, (or even jaywalk) for it, but I'd order it again.

This.  It's good, but nothing spectacular.  

On 11/27/2019 at 9:05 AM, TxTower said:

This pretty much sums it up.

The wife and I each had one yesterday. Didnt have to wait in line and didn’t have to kill a bitch. Really good sandwich for fast food but CFA is still a nicer dining atmosphere overall.

Fuck that noise, every CFA I've ever been in has been full of screaming kids and so full you have to stand around and wait for people to leave. 

First one today. Better than the other place. Waited in the drive thru, ten cars, probably 30 minutes. My bad on the timing.

Sandwich was damn good. The difference is that they have a Long John Silvers batter thing going on. ChkiFilA is mushy by comparison, but its flavors are pretty good. But Popeyes' chicken is fucking crunchy. Even the pickles are crunchy, that's an obvious improvement. And it's spicy as fuck, which is totally my fetish. Match it up with a good beer or wine and that's a damn good time.

On 12/2/2019 at 12:42 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Looks like a straight ripoff of chic-fil-a...

The sandwich features a fried chicken filet served on a buttery potato roll, topped with butter and pickles. A deluxe version also includes tomatoes, lettuce and mayo.

And apparently served in the same foil steam pouch...

106273586-1575296901509ekuthouwkaa0ifs.j

Speaking of...the last time I went to chick-fil-a, the steam pouch had made the whole damn sandwich really soggy.  I'd never had that happen before.  Almost seemed like it had been sitting around steaming for a really long time.  Like maybe a long time under a heat lamp.  I guess in an effort to speed up service.  It was still hot/warm, but just really really overly wet.  It was gross.