Popeye's chicken sandwich

Mojo Hand

In the last week I have had both CFA and Popeyes chicken sandwiches (spicy both times, because I ain't no bitch).  Popeyes was the best, but I got no problem with chomping down a CFA sandwich if Popeyes isn't available.  I just get the sandwiches only, no sides because I have my own shit at the house; mainly HEB 'tater salad and cole slaw along with some homemade lemonade.

Pro tip, losers:  Plan ahead... get some sides from the grocery store in advance and buy just the sandwich from the restaurant of your choice.  No sides, no drink and you are doing good.

• Like 1

I finally tried it this week. Regular, no mayo because mayo is an abomination that makes me want to vomit. I do wish the spices were in the breading but that's neither here nor there. It was good. Definitely bigger and meatier than CFA. Tasted more like 'fried chicken', in fact it tasted kind of like the Popeye's of olden times when it wasn't generally hooha stank. I still like CFA, has a unique vibe to it, but have to give the nod to Popeye's for overall chicken sando quality. 

• 4 weeks later...

Remember way back in 2019, when times were simpler, “social distancing” wasn’t a term anyone used, and headlines were dominated by a fried chicken sandwich instead of a pandemic? Well, Popeyes is back at it. At select locations in the Denver, Colorado area, the fast food chain is testing a new version of its viral (the good kind!) sandwich hit: the BBQ Bacon Cheddar Chicken Sandwich. But will this new take inspire the passion of the OG? I tracked it down to find out. 

After a quick call to the closest Popeyes location, I struck golden fried success. They did indeed have the new chicken sandwich on the menu, so I set off for the drive-thru with high expectations. Part of the appeal of the original Popeyes sandwich is the low price -- only $3.99. With all its extras, the new BBQ version comes at a premium. I paid $5.49 (before tax) for the sandwich alone, though that’s still less than most fast food fried chicken sandos.

Like the original, this sandwich sports a sizable piece of fried chicken breast with Popeyes’ signature Louisiana seasonings and the same thick cut pickles on a buttered brioche bun. So far, so good. But instead of the standard mayo, the bun is doused with sweet and slightly spicy BBQ on both sides. If you’ve ever had Popeyes’ BBQ dipping sauce, it tastes very similar (and may, if fact, be exactly the same sauce). The flavor of the sauce is strong, so much so that it overwhelms the chicken’s seasoning and the toasted butteriness of the bun. 

What about the bacon and cheddar?

That’s exactly what I wondered after my first bite... only to discover that the Popeyes I visited had failed to actually add those two ingredients. So I went back to the drive-thru for a second try. This time, I found the bright orange slice of cheddar and two small strips of bacon present and accounted for. I bit in and, well, it tasted exactly the same as the first one. Did they forget to add it again? Nope. Turns out they just don’t stand a chance against all that BBQ sauce.

The cheddar slice is thin and has a barely detectable cheese flavor even when eaten alone. And instead of melty, it got crumbly on the hot piece of chicken. The bacon was thin too, and scored solid zeros in terms of both crispiness and flavor. Nothing else on Popeyes’ menu has cheddar or bacon, so they brought in these ingredients exclusively for this sandwich. But their quality doesn’t live up to the chicken itself. The dominating flavor was that super-sweet sauce.

Final thoughts

Look, the Popeye’s chicken sandwich is still a thing of grease laden beauty -- we ranked it No. 1 for good reason. So this version wasn’t exactly bad (that’s probably not possible). But much like the rest of 2020, it was disappointing. If you really love the flavor of BBQ sauce, you’d be better off saving the extra $1.50 and ordering the original chicken sandwich sans mayo and asking for packets of BBQ dipping sauce on the side. Or better yet, slather the chain’s Mardi Gras Mustard on there (trust me, I’ve taste tested that thoroughly).

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/popeyes-bbq-bacon-cheddar-chicken-sandwich-taste-test

crop-jpeg-quality-60-progressive.jpg

scale-jpeg-quality-60.jpg

Edited by ss13

On 6/18/2020 at 10:22 PM, formermav43 said:

By no sauce you mean no mayo. That’s why Popeye’s is inferior by default.

negged. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:36 AM, Baboontyme said:

I finally tried it this week. Regular, no mayo because mayo is an abomination 

negged and reported. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just ordered a 5 piece tender dinner (two sides) through the app and picked it up at the drive thru. Ended up with 10 tenders, 4 sides, and three biscuits for $7.99.

Popeye's hooking it up during this time of crisis. 

I can’t believe this is the sandwich people got shot over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serious question:

How good would a chicken sandwich need to be in order for you to think “yeah...murder committed for one of these??? Makes sense. I get it.”?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Light said:

I’m convinced Chick FilA made their chicken sandwiches bigger due to Popeyes

I was actually about to note the same thing. The last two I’ve had have been bigger, less soggy, and a tad spicier. But they were both also at one I never usually go to so just chalked it up to location difference.

There’s one the big exxonmobil campus and that’s really the only time I get chick fil a.  I feel there’s have always been on the small side... will do my best to confirm or deny these rumors because literally anything will be larger than what they were previously serving. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

On 7/20/2020 at 9:44 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Popeye's locations vary wildly. I'd suggest going to a nice, new, clean one in the burbs. I still haven't been to a good one inside the 610 Loop. 

Wife bought a couple the other day.  Apparently there was an extra (found in the fridge last night).  Added some mayo and hot sauce to it and it was even better than I remember. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2020 at 7:37 PM, threesheets said:

I eat my Chick-Fil-A sandwiches with about 5 different sauces.

I usually don't eat chicken sandwiches. But the best sauce for Chic Fil A strips is to get the Polynesian sauce and mix it with a packet of Texas Pete hot sauce.

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I finally tried this thing at the fairly new Hutto location yesterday and it was okay but way too salty.

Maybe just a blip. 

I have had it when it was phenomenal and I have had it spongy and tough and terrible.  more often than not it’s good.  and if you’re lucky it can be the best sandwich you’ve ever had. 

• Fuck You 1