Popeye's chicken sandwich

Mojo Hand

Wendy's ramping it up with their new Jalapeño Popper Sandwich, The $5.99 sandwich, which was released Wednesday, is covered in jalapeños including in a flavored cream cheese spread plus six slices of the pepper on top. It also features three slices of bacon, two cheeses (cheddar and pepper jack) and a toasted bun.

I think I am going to try that. 

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

Wendy's ramping it up with their new Jalapeño Popper Sandwich, The $5.99 sandwich, which was released Wednesday, is covered in jalapeños including in a flavored cream cheese spread plus six slices of the pepper on top. It also features three slices of bacon, two cheeses (cheddar and pepper jack) and a toasted bun.

sounds good but really fucking busy

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

wendys-jalapeno-popper-chicken-sandwich.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

sounds good but really fucking busy

Yeah, that’s just too much. For me, a good chicken sandwich is spice in the marinade/breading, some good pickles, and a sturdy bun.  Then 1-2 add ons (cheese, sauce, bacon, other veggies) maximum. And it should be perfectly spicy and edible in the basic form. 

On 2/13/2021 at 6:58 PM, DougO said:

Still love me some Popeye's, always get two breasteses. But they have now discontinued green beans, my usual side. Had to switch to slaw, ain't tryna double down on the carbs, already splurging on the fried part. They also discontinued corn, which I don't eat, but still seems kinda wtf.

KFC has also discontinued green beans. Why does America hate green beans and a healthier side choice?

Thanks, Biden!

Man you should hit up the Golden Chick.

They have roasted chicken (very low carb) and green beans !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I gather this is the chicken sandwiches in general thread?

There's a new spicy chicken joint opening up right next to my office called The Cookshack which I understand is a Fort Worth outfit now expanding into Houston. Yelp reviews/pics for the original location are encouraging. Worth a shit?

had it on saturday.  good shit.  as stated in the fort worth thread, the texas heat level is a good one.  spicy enough to taste and know i'm eating something legit spicy, without feeling like my eardrums are imploding.  chicken was crunchy, juicy, and good size sandwich and fries for $10 felt like i got my money's worth. 

tmobile code for popeye's sandwich didn't work in store and mobile ordering wasn't available for heights or goof locations.  lame.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Taco Bell on Monday waded into the hot arena with a new menu item, the Crispy Chicken Sandwich Taco. The fast food chain will begin testing in Nashville and Charlotte on March 11, before making a nationwide debut later this year.

Unlike its competitors' sandwiches — which are typically in a bun — Taco Bell's $2.49 version is served in a puffy bread, shaped in the form of a taco. It is filled with a piece of crispy, white-meat tortilla chicken marinated in jalapeno buttermilk, and topped with a signature creamy chipotle sauce.

The taco sandwich is also seasoned with Mexican spices and rolled in a crunchy tortilla chip coating. It also comes in a spicy version, which includes crunchy jalapeño slices "for those who can take the heat," according to a statement from the company, which hinted that more chicken menu items were on the way.

spacer.png

On 2/18/2021 at 12:28 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah, that’s just too much. For me, a good chicken sandwich is spice in the marinade/breading, some good pickles, and a sturdy bun.  Then 1-2 add ons (cheese, sauce, bacon, other veggies) maximum. And it should be perfectly spicy and edible in the basic form. 

You can never, ever, put too many jalapenos on a sandwich. It's impossible. If they start falling off, you need a bigger sandwich.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

had it on saturday.  good shit.  as stated in the fort worth thread, the texas heat level is a good one.  spicy enough to taste and know i'm eating something legit spicy, without feeling like my eardrums are imploding.  chicken was crunchy, juicy, and good size sandwich and fries for $10 felt like i got my money's worth. 

tmobile code for popeye's sandwich didn't work in store and mobile ordering wasn't available for heights or goof locations.  lame.

luckily, my tmobile code worked in the app, but not for my closest store. So I drive to pick it up and they say they're out and I'll have to cancel the order. I leave with no food. And you cancel the order by going into the app and leaving a feedback comment on it. They have a whole selection for the store being out of food and not getting your order. It was refunded in under 5 minutes. It's a weird inconvenient system, but they have it down pat.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:51 PM, elfenix said:

Chicken sandwich and fries for lunch today. Got "Texas Hot" as well. Very tasty, but significantly spicier than I was expecting, and I don't think of myself as a spice wuss. I'm assuming their highest level "AMF" would be downright intolerable.  Even the fries had some kick to them.

That said, will definitely go back due to quality, price and location, but will order a level down next time to see the difference.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 6:58 PM, DougO said:

KFC has also discontinued green beans. Why does America hate green beans and a healthier side choice?

When done right green beans aren't exactly a healthy choice. They're basically an excuse to drink bacon fat. An incredibly delicious and worthwhile excuse.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Just tried the Popeye's flounder sandwich.  It's nothing special, but it's definitely better than the filet o' fish.  No offense intended to young brisket.

I just saw that on the menu when I was there today. I like the idea of flounder, but I'd much rather have it on a plate with some sides than on a bun.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I remember the best cheapass fish sammiches were at Burger Chef and they went for about 40 cents.

My folks used to take us to the Burger Chef by Hancock Center, after shopping at Hancock Center and/or Capital Plaza.  They actually had a kids' meal before McDonald's introduced the Happy Meal.  My mom liked it because they had a big fresh salad bar.  I, of course, did not eat vegetables at the time.

I had one recently and the chicken was different. The meat (not just the breading) was crunchy. It was weird

This is actually probably an issue with the chicken suppliers, called Wooden Breast. Known issue in poultry world and they can’t figure it out/hard to detect. Once you bite into it the first time it just about ruins chicken breast it’s so off putting.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I gather this is the chicken sandwiches in general thread?
There's a new spicy chicken joint opening up right next to my office called The Cookshack which I understand is a Fort Worth outfit now expanding into Houston. Yelp reviews/pics for the original location are encouraging. Worth a shit?

Great stuff at cook shack

On 2/27/2021 at 11:49 AM, bluto said:

This is actually probably an issue with the chicken suppliers, called Wooden Breast. Known issue in poultry world and they can’t figure it out/hard to detect. Once you bite into it the first time it just about ruins chicken breast it’s so off putting.

I bought a pack of boneless chicken breasts at HEB a couple of months ago, huuuuuge boneless breasts, the ones in the no-name yellow pack. Price was right, but after I cooked one it had a really hard thick layer in the middle of it like the deckle in a poor quality undercooked brisket. It was nasty. I haven't bought any of those again.