Popeye's chicken sandwich

Mojo Hand

This is actually probably an issue with the chicken suppliers, called Wooden Breast. Known issue in poultry world and they can’t figure it out/hard to detect. Once you bite into it the first time it just about ruins chicken breast it’s so off putting.

I always thought it happened when a chicken is still cold and thrown right into the fryer.

On 2/26/2021 at 8:40 AM, Brisketexan said:

My son, as noted above, a connoisseur of fish sammiches, agrees.  He says Wendy's is the best, by far.

Update -- we got the Popeye's flounder sammich last night.  He had just had the Wendy's sammich on Friday, so he had a recent comparator.

He says that Popeye's wins, and it's his new gold standard.  Also, he ordered two fish sandwiches, one for dinner and one for later.  He ate the second one for breakfast today, and said it was one of the best breakfasts he's ever had.

So, there's that report from a seasoned veteran of the fish sandwich wars.

Edited by Brisketexan

Update -- we got the Popeye's flounder sammich last night.  He had just had the Wendy's sammich on Friday, so he had a recent comparator.
He says that Popeye's wins, and it's his new gold standard.  Also, he ordered two fish sandwiches, one for dinner and one for later.  He ate the second one for breakfast today, and said it was one of the best breakfasts he's ever had.

Leftover fish sandwich for breakfast

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Be a good father and get the kid a shrimp or oyster po boy if he wants to eat something from the ocean in sandwich form.

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Be a good father and get the kid a shrimp or oyster po boy if he wants to eat something from the ocean in sandwich form.

He'll hammer a shrimp po boy.  But he just loves fish sandwiches.  I don't have an explanation, I just observe, and pay the food tab.

19 hours ago, Underdog said:

Guess I’ll have to hit up Wendy’s for the fish sandwich this weekend.  Anyone try their jalapeño popper chicken sandwich? 

It was OK. Almost too much shit on there. 

Man I wish they would bring back the monterrey ranch ( the original, not the value menu garbage they sold for a bit a few years ago) or their cordon Bleu.  Those were some of the best chicken sandwiches ever made. 

Edited by pops

Had the new McDonalds chicken sammich for shnitz and giggles. It is very obviously trying to mimic Chic-fil-a and is fairly close. I liked it, but it wasn't quite CFA. I also ordered spicy and it was just some sauce they put on it. CFA spicy I think the spice is in the breading and/or marinade. For the spicy version, CFA is still better, by a lot.

Edited by 'stache

On 3/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, 'stache said:

Had the new McDonalds chicken sammich for shnitz and giggles. It is very obviously trying to mimic Chic-fil-a and is fairly close. I liked it, but it wasn't quite CFA. I also ordered spicy and it was just some sauce they put on it. CFA spicy I think the spice is in the breading and/or marinade. For the spicy version, CFA is still better, by a lot.

I had the CFA spicy today for the first time and I thought it sucked. It was a little spicy, but the pepper blend was bitter and unappealing. Realized I would rather have regualr crunchy chicken with a spice sauce than as a part of a marinade. 

8 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I had the CFA spicy today for the first time and I thought it sucked. It was a little spicy, but the pepper blend was bitter and unappealing. Realized I would rather have regualr crunchy chicken with a spice sauce than as a part of a marinade. 

When did CFA start selling crunchy chicken?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I've heard the new non-spicy mcdonalds chicken sandwich with pickles and tomatos is better than their other two.

had another popeyes spicy chicken after my last one was not good at all and it was great this time. I guess their supplier is just struggling to be consistent.

is the wendy's chicken sandwich with all the jalapenos and cheese better than their pretzel bun pub chicken sandwich?

On 3/2/2021 at 1:40 PM, Brisketexan said:

This could probably go in the “Trivial things that make you surly” thread but it really bugs me that the commercial for the Popeye’s fish sandwich says that it’s “topped with pickles” while they show two pickle slices being placed on the bottom bun underneath the filet. 

On 3/9/2021 at 3:50 PM, elfenix said:

popeyes back on tmobile tuesday.  maybe it'll work this time. 

somewhere between adding a spicy sandwich for $0.00, adding a 4 piece for $8.00, and checking out, it dropped the sandwich.  eventually the manager told the employee filling the orders to just give me a chicken sandwich, which was delicious, but, damn, does this thing just not work?

Edited by elfenix

On 3/9/2021 at 8:03 AM, Viper said:

I've heard the new non-spicy mcdonalds chicken sandwich with pickles and tomatos is better than their other two.

had another popeyes spicy chicken after my last one was not good at all and it was great this time. I guess their supplier is just struggling to be consistent.

is the wendy's chicken sandwich with all the jalapenos and cheese better than their pretzel bun pub chicken sandwich?

The Jalapeno popper sandwich was very meh.

• Hook 'Em 1

Popeye's maybe has consistency issues from making their sandwiches ahead of time and then getting stuck with back stock if business slows down. I'm guessing that's what happened to me last week. Fort Collins doesn't have one but there's a popeye's on the drive to Boulder and I usually make it a point to zip through their drive through. Usually it's excellent but last week it was a bit soggy and mediocre.

I had the Whataburger one this week and it’s by far not as good as any of the ones mentioned on this page.  

Think I posted about it above and it’s not very good at all.

I have to say the commercials makes KFC’s new chicken sandwich looks pretty legit. Of course Whataburger’s looks good on the commercial. Somebody check out KFC’s and report back.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:40 PM, Brisketexan said:

@scottsins you have any rebuttal as a Filet-o-Fish or death man?

On 3/11/2021 at 5:58 PM, Hook1997 said:

I had the Whataburger one this week and it’s by far not as good as any of the ones mentioned on this page.  

On 3/11/2021 at 7:55 PM, conVINCEd said:

New management.  

Chicago style

Was HUGELY disappointed in the WB one. I got a second one just to see if the first was fucked up somehow. Def my least fave thing on their menu and I’ve had every item. It’s significantly worse than their reg chix sammich which seems unreasonable.

It’s not balanced, spicy but bland if that makes sense. They’ve never been really good with their chicken offerings.

25 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

It’s not balanced, spicy but bland if that makes sense. They’ve never been really good with their chicken offerings.

whataburger fried chicken is pre-battered and frozen.  it's never going to beat something that wasn't frozen and is battered in store. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well, none of you fuckers would step up and try KFC’s new chicken sandwich so I went ahead and did it for lunch today. It’s been decades since I spent money at KFC. I got the regular — spicy looks like the same chicken breast with a schmear of spicy sauce.

It’s a pretty fucking solid fast food chicken sammich. On par with Popeye’s and light years ahead of Whataburger’s horrible offering. Big, juicy and crispy breast on a brioche bun. Highly recommend.

1da3493a286e80c22ef6e95220051d4a.jpg

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3