Popeye's chicken sandwich

Mojo Hand

On 3/18/2021 at 10:04 PM, C-Man said:

Think I posted about it above and it’s not very good at all.

I have to say the commercials makes KFC’s new chicken sandwich looks pretty legit. Of course Whataburger’s looks good on the commercial. Somebody check out KFC’s and report back.

I agree with C-Man, it's pretty good. The bun was probably the weakest point - it could've been better but not bad. 

The thought of a bucket of kfc repulses me but I'd definitely recommend the sandwich. 

If you put both pickles and tartar sauce on your fish sandwich then your tartar sauce sucks. Tartar sauce is basically mayonnaise and pickle relish. So if you have a decent tarter sauce then you wouldn’t need to add pickles.

But for marketing purposes you have to put pickle slices on your new fish sandwich, I guess because Chik-fil-A puts pickle slices on their chicken sandwich and that’s the market everyone’s trying to penetrate with this new fish or chicken sandwich war.

But if you’re selling a fish sandwich then just serve it with a decent tartar sauce. A couple pickle slices and a weak-ass tartar sauce doesn’t work. Sure, it looks better in the commercial, but it’s a low quality food product in real life. Dice those two pickle slices and mix them into the tartar sauce and I’ll get a better dining experience.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:22 PM, shnsajax said:

I had the CFA spicy today for the first time and I thought it sucked. It was a little spicy, but the pepper blend was bitter and unappealing. Realized I would rather have regualr crunchy chicken with a spice sauce than as a part of a marinade. 

Wait... you just had your first spicy chicken sandwich from CFA two weeks ago? You're talking about one of the mainstays in the pantheon of fast food items. The entire reason that this thread exists and has 25 pages is because someone once upon a time created that sandwich. 

What else have you never had? Fries from McDonald's? A cheesy gordita crunch (that's Taco Bell in case you're wondering)? A honey honey chicken biscuit from WB? 

No one in this country should be robbed of the experience of their first CFA spicy chicken sandwich. That's like never watching Star Wars or attending a baseball game or seeing fireworks on the 4th of July.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Wait... you just had your first spicy chicken sandwich from CFA two weeks ago? You're talking about one of the mainstays in the pantheon of fast food items. The entire reason that this thread exists and has 25 pages is because someone once upon a time created that sandwich. 

What else have you never had? Fries from McDonald's? A cheesy gordita crunch (that's Taco Bell in case you're wondering)? A honey honey chicken biscuit from WB? 

No one in this country should be robbed of the experience of their first CFA spicy chicken sandwich. That's like never watching Star Wars or attending a baseball game or seeing fireworks on the 4th of July.

They just started the spicy like a couple years ago, so it’s not crazy he just tried the spicy.  I kinda agree while I like the spicy at CFA I think I appreciate the normal better cause you get more of that CFA chicken taste and their spice isn’t a wet sauce or anything and it draws from the pickle chicken flavor I love.  These spicy sandwiches really aren’t comparable.  It’s two totally different thing.  I love Popeyes cause I love the sauce and pickle taste mix.   I love CFA cause the chicken and breading dry is better. 

9 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

They just started the spicy like a couple years ago, so it’s not crazy he just tried the spicy.  I kinda agree while I like the spicy at CFA I think I appreciate the normal better cause you get more of that CFA chicken taste and their spice isn’t a wet sauce or anything and it draws from the pickle chicken flavor I love.  These spicy sandwiches really aren’t comparable.  It’s two totally different thing.  I love Popeyes cause I love the sauce and pickle taste mix.   I love CFA cause the chicken and breading dry is better. 

Looks like they introduced it in 2010.

https://www.qsrweb.com/news/chick-fil-a-ramps-up-for-spicy-chicken-sandwich-launch/

So I guess if you eat at chik fil a once every 15 years I could buy it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2021 at 12:58 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

If you put both pickles and tartar sauce on your fish sandwich then your tartar sauce sucks. Tartar sauce is basically mayonnaise and pickle relish. So if you have a decent tarter sauce then you wouldn’t need to add pickles.

But for marketing purposes you have to put pickle slices on your new fish sandwich, I guess because Chik-fil-A puts pickle slices on their chicken sandwich and that’s the market everyone’s trying to penetrate with this new fish or chicken sandwich war.

But if you’re selling a fish sandwich then just serve it with a decent tartar sauce. A couple pickle slices and a weak-ass tartar sauce doesn’t work. Sure, it looks better in the commercial, but it’s a low quality food product in real life. Dice those two pickle slices and mix them into the tartar sauce and I’ll get a better dining experience.

The correct answer was:

Jalapeño 

On 3/11/2021 at 9:21 AM, huge said:

I had the KFC spicy sando this week and it was excellent.  8.5/10

On 3/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I agree. Under the radar sammich.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:04 PM, C-Man said:

Think I posted about it above and it’s not very good at all.

I have to say the commercials makes KFC’s new chicken sandwich looks pretty legit. Of course Whataburger’s looks good on the commercial. Somebody check out KFC’s and report back.

On 3/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, C-Man said:

Well, none of you fuckers would step up and try KFC’s new chicken sandwich so I went ahead and did it for lunch today. It’s been decades since I spent money at KFC. I got the regular — spicy looks like the same chicken breast with a schmear of spicy sauce.

It’s a pretty fucking solid fast food chicken sammich. On par with Popeye’s and light years ahead of Whataburger’s horrible offering. Big, juicy and crispy breast on a brioche bun. Highly recommend.

1da3493a286e80c22ef6e95220051d4a.jpg

Dude...literally 6 posts above yours.  lulz

On 2/25/2021 at 7:32 PM, Brisketexan said:

My son at three.  In one day.  In Paris.

He ate all of the french meals as well.  The FOF was a snack, on three different occasions.

If he doesn't already know, it's SOP for them to politely serve up a "double filet-o-fish" upon request.  Same sandwich...two filets.

• Like 1

Well, none of you fuckers would step up and try KFC’s new chicken sandwich so I went ahead and did it for lunch today. It’s been decades since I spent money at KFC. I got the regular — spicy looks like the same chicken breast with a schmear of spicy sauce.

It’s a pretty fucking solid fast food chicken sammich. On par with Popeye’s and light years ahead of Whataburger’s horrible offering. Big, juicy and crispy breast on a brioche bun. Highly recommend.

I bumped this very thread that was dead for 3 months to report this.

Unfortunately I also said that lines at KFC were short at the time and since the last few times I’ve tried to eat there, there’s been a line. The secret is out and I don’t like that
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Deej said:

A friend once said, "Every person in a Burger King looks as if it is the worst day of their life."

Man that one at MOPAC and Ben White was downright nasty in its last days.  I took my kids there for the playground and was like "this thing has never ever been cleaned."

Just now, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Man that one at MOPAC and Ben White was downright nasty in its last days.  I took my kids there for the playground and was like "this thing has never ever been cleaned."

The South Austin's mom of Burger King playscapes?

19 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

I took my kids there for the playground

WTF would you purposely send your kids into a biohazard? Do you take them to the landfill for fun time? It's like people that take their dogs to the "Pet Area" at a rest stop. Have they never heard of Parvo?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RPM said:

WTF would you purposely send your kids into a biohazard? Do you take them to the landfill for fun time? It's like people that take their dogs to the "Pet Area" at a rest stop. Have they never heard of Parvo?

Gotta build up their immune systems when they're young. 

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:
3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Not sure what I'm seeing here...  is that some sort of GMO chicken breast?  Double breasts?  RoboBreast  

Yes

Buy a whole chicken, part it up for frying or whatever, and you'll observe that more than half of the meat is in the breast these days. It's gotten ridiculous.

Selective breeding is partially responsible, but so are hormones and "nutrition." I think I saw a documentary a year or two ago that claimed most fryers sold in supermarkets are less than six months old, whereas ones of similar size decades ago were a year or older.

Some of these birds grow so fast their bones break under their weight.

On 3/22/2021 at 3:19 PM, C-Man said:

This doesn’t look remotely appealing either. 

On 4/10/2021 at 6:13 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Buy a whole chicken, part it up for frying or whatever, and you'll observe that more than half of the meat is in the breast these days. It's gotten ridiculous.

Selective breeding is partially responsible, but so are hormones and "nutrition." I think I saw a documentary a year or two ago that claimed most fryers sold in supermarkets are less than six months old, whereas ones of similar size decades ago were a year or older.

Some of these birds grow so fast their bones break under their weight.

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

In all seriousness, you're dead on.  It's the same for turkey, too.  The birds most people buy for TGiving is bland garbage because they are bred to have the biggest breasts possible in the shortest amount of time.  I've started only buying heritage breeds.  They're expensive, but it's a completely different meat and flavor profile, and for one day a year I'm willing to pay the premium.

But good news! A new Popeyes opened up just a few blocks away. It used to be a Boston Market. I must have gone 20+ years between the last time I ate KFC and the first time I ate Popeyes. I don’t recall what made me finally try the Popeyes that was a little less than 4 miles away. I’d ignored it for years. Then when I finally tried it, had their spicy chicken and red beans & rice, they closed down not long after. The next closest location was four exits down the outerbelt, maybe 14-15 miles away. And they fucked up my order more than once.

I’m probably not going to try their chicken sandwich. And it may not be the most healthy decision I could make, but I’m going to do my part to help make this place a successful venture.