Popeye's chicken sandwich

Mojo Hand

• 1 month later...

Are Popeye’s nuggets real chicken breast or processed fake chicken? They look like real chicken in the commercials. I’m tempted to try them but I don’t want to get suckered.

Doesn't really matter right now because they don’t open for another hour so I’m going to have to make something here at home. I’m just curious. 

I tried the blackened chicken sandwich last night. The spice rub was really good. The chicken itself was fine. But like in the commercial, there’s a lot more bun than chicken. I’ve seen it posted on here that what makes their regular chicken sandwich “spicy” is a spicy mayonnaise. I figured that was a choice for the blackened chicken sandwich too. In the commercials they show a colored mayo that looks kind of like chipotle mayo. I ordered spicy but got white mayo, and too much of it so I had to wipe off the excess. And calling those pickle was a stretch. They tasted more like plain cucumber slices. I had to remove those too. That was gross.

But the chicken and spice rub was good. I could see having that again just by itself without the sandwich. 

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I tried the blackened chicken sandwich last night. The spice rub was really good. The chicken itself was fine. But like in the commercial, there’s a lot more bun than chicken. I’ve seen it posted on here that what makes their regular chicken sandwich “spicy” is a spicy mayonnaise. I figured that was a choice for the blackened chicken sandwich too. In the commercials they show a colored mayo that looks kind of like chipotle mayo. I ordered spicy but got white mayo, and too much of it so I had to wipe off the excess. And calling those pickle was a stretch. They tasted more like plain cucumber slices. I had to remove those too. That was gross.

But the chicken and spice rub was good. I could see having that again just by itself without the sandwich. 

racist comedy central GIF

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2021 at 6:33 PM, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Man that one at MOPAC and Ben White

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Anyways, I tried the McDonald's spicy sandwich and thought it was pretty good. Much better than their regular one - it needs the sauce. At the end of the day it's just a lesser version of CFA, though. 

A review in the Washington Post of the new spicy chicken sandwich from Burger King (called Ch'King or some bullshit) said it's (surprisingly) a worthy competitor among the battle for the best chicken sandwich but doesn't knock the Popeye's spicy from its perch. It has two sauces, mayo and a spicy one that's more of a slow burn than hot.

AFZIFKGEUAI6XCNEW6XCFKQZHY.jpg&w=1440

Also if you have a Culver's nearby their cod filet sandwich is good but you need to order it without the lettuce otherwise it gets a bit soggy.

Edited by Chopper

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, immamac said:

Weird mine was just spicy and not really sauced that much at all. Very crunchy. 

Mine was same. I like their approach with adding chile oil separate from the mayo. Their bread wasn't as good as Popeye's and the chicken was not as consistent throughout the sandwich - a little too thin on one edge. I think KFC has the second best with BK close behind, but I'd eat BK's before CF's.

On 3/23/2021 at 10:46 AM, TXSooner518 said:

Goddamn there is no worse feeling than "a couple years ago" actually turning out to be 10-15 years. Panic-inducing.

“And then one day you find, 10 years have got behind you.  No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.” 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I had another Popeyes blackened chicken sandwich for lunch today. I ordered it plain, without mayo or pickles. I still like the spice rub. I wish the cut of meat was larger and more juicy. I still tore away a lot of excess bun. But I put my own Creole mustard on it and it was still pretty good. And it gave me an excuse to have a side of red beans & rice. As fast food sides go, that’s right up there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone tried the new Smashburger Colorado Crispy Chicken Sandwich? May not be at all their restaurants yet, I don't know.

Crispy chicken breast, pepper jack cheese, melted cheddar cheese, grilled Anaheim chiles, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, toasted spicy chipotle bun

a6382b01-5a51-46dd-82b2-f5b70acca1ef.png

I don't know why they'd put l & t on a fried chicken sandwich, but I'm all in favor of 2 types of cheese and grilled chiles. Bun looks questionable but you can sub a brioche bun for 1$.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Popeyes crushed their spicy sandwich tonight. Red beans & rice were solid too. Drive-thru line was typically slow, but all ended well. 

Popeyes' elimination of dirty rice from their menu will go down as one of the darker events of this pandemic.

600,000 dead.  Massive unemployment.  Dirty rice no longer on the menu.  That's a harsh list.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DougO said:

They ditched green beans as well, which were actually good. I always got them to reduce the overall carb intake.

Tried to get me some popeye's again for lunch today, dining room was closed again. Probably not enough workers. I'm so tired of that crap.

Oh, those WERE good.  They're gone too?  Crap.

Also, on Saturday in Fayettenam, we felt like we needed to bring some extra goodies to our friend's tailgate.  So we hit a drive thru and I grabbed two 10 piece spicy boxes.  Put those on the table, and goddammit did they make people happy.  Some people had never had Popeyes, and couldn't stop raving about it.

Conclusion: Popeyes makes people happy, and if it doesn't make you happy, you're a miserable fucker.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, those WERE good.  They're gone too?  Crap.

Also, on Saturday in Fayettenam, we felt like we needed to bring some extra goodies to our friend's tailgate.  So we hit a drive thru and I grabbed two 10 piece spicy boxes.  Put those on the table, and goddammit did they make people happy.  Some people had never had Popeyes, and couldn't stop raving about it.

Conclusion: Popeyes makes people happy, and if it doesn't make you happy, you're a miserable fucker.

I am a miserable fucker and it even makes me happy...momentarily. Gotta have the chicken on the bone, though, no strips and sammiches. Even when they run out of spicy, the regular is damn good.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

I am a miserable fucker and it even makes me happy...momentarily. Gotta have the chicken on the bone, though, no strips and sammiches. Even when they run out of spicy, the regular is damn good.

I like the sammich.  And the strips are fine if someone's gonna serve me strips.  But agreed, spicy on the bone is the king of yardbirds.

Also, the boy sent this pic the other night - it was his dinner on his meal plan in Berlin. Fried chicken served with slaw and an unseasoned avocado purée:

78009176f6d2c6fed3f0c79c486f7e4f.jpeg

He said it was fine; skin was crispy, but it was all bland. Then he sent a single text:

I miss Popeye's so much.

I then told him about our gift of Popeyes at our tailgate, and how upon presenting said gift, we were adored by the crowd:

I'd worship anyone who brought me a 20 pc spicy Popeyes.

. . . . 

Pretty sure Jesus fed 5000 with two Popeyes chicken legs and two Popeye's biscuits.

Poor dude.

Edited by Brisketexan

I would probably like the sandwich if I were a sandwich guy, but I'm really not so much.

I asked one of the guys working there if they were still selling a lot of those sandwiches, and he confirmed. I told him they should sell the fried chicken patty and serve it with gravy like a CFS. The kids mind was blown. "Wow, now I have to have one of those!" he said.

13 hours ago, DougO said:

I would probably like the sandwich if I were a sandwich guy, but I'm really not so much.

I asked one of the guys working there if they were still selling a lot of those sandwiches, and he confirmed. I told him they should sell the fried chicken patty and serve it with gravy like a CFS. The kids mind was blown. "Wow, now I have to have one of those!" he said.

Solid idea.

The sandwich is mostly optimal if you 1) want Popeyes and 2) are driving somewhere.  It's a solid one-handed road lunch.  If I'm eating at home, chicken on the bone.  On the road, sammich.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Solid idea.

The sandwich is mostly optimal if you 1) want Popeyes and 2) are driving somewhere.  It's a solid one-handed road lunch.  If I'm eating at home, chicken on the bone.  On the road, sammich.

Nature already took care of the one-handed driving while eating fried chicken issue.

chicken.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DougO said:

See, about the only benefit of working food service is being able to fuck around with combinations during down time.  It would be fucking fun to just slap together your restaurant's ingredients while on the clock into some sort of ungodly creation of deliciousness. 

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yea, that’s a no from me, dawg

Even though I love every item on it

Yeah, I mean, I love sex, cream gravy, fried chicken, bacon, Crystal hot sauce, and pizza, but I'm not gonna combine them.

And if I did, I wouldn't tell you degenerates about it.

But for the record, it was awesome.

Had the "new" cluck today and it was good. The breading looked a little different than when I tried it originally, but it tasted the same. The bbq version tasted like a chicked mcrib (nttiawwt-I love me some mcrib). I guess that fast food bbq sauce all pretty much tastes the same.

If I ever have to go to jitb when I am not wasted (tiny tacos ftw), I'll get it again.