2019 US Open tennis

spystud13

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Potapova - Gauff looks like the future of women's tennis.  Both so young, both badasses.  They give no quarter, lightning bolts right on the margins,  geez.

Anisimova is a few days away from turning 18 and has had a lot more success than both of these teens. Anisimova and Gauff will both win more slams than Potapova, I feel. Unfortunately, Anisimova's dad died last week so she withdrew from the tournament. 

Edited by perfectchaos007

Finally after ten years living in New England I took the trek down to Flushing. I had a blast today. Had a GA pass which gets you into everywhere but Ashe (upper deck only at Armstrong and Grandstand).

Mostly dabbled in a bunch of matches. Started at Tsitsipas-Rublev then went to watch the end of Berrettini's match. Caught the fifth set of the Bautista Agut upset. Tried to watch Andreescu but the court was packed so we parked it at the court next to it to watch a random women's match for a couple of games.

We caught the end of Isner before going back to Armstrong to watch the last set of Halep's match. My buddy really wanted to watch Coco so we watched that whole match. After that it was the end of Shapovalov-FAA and a couple of random side court matches before heading back to Armstrong for Sabalenka-Azarenka before finally getting to see Kyrgios. We only made it for a set of Kyrgios because we had to catch the train back home. Armstrong went four hour men's match and then three three-set women's matches so Kyrgios went on long.

TL;DR went to the Open, had fun

Here are some pics
02b7a7256e01aba3ab3a3c8dbaf85a47.jpgb494cdbf38522bcbf76add5eff7b7357.jpgb940e7ff58b1541fd96b586d78c5df6d.jpga6e0fe55ac2168670207f31094965f8f.jpg8378987cdb5d7a26ac49e453da183ede.jpgb872a876d2e7f2d520f8561f930294ce.jpgbe25b0014643f60a192aa9ca4ffedda2.jpgc97e73c35e0be6c3a6e2684735f00967.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Every kyrgios match should be during prime time. I can't stand him but I love watching him

I really enjoy tennis, but am not a die hard fan and prescribe to the "sports should be fun" lifestyle so I love Kyrgios because he's such an ass clown.  His talent is undeniable. His path to the semis is Hoang, Rublev/Simon, Berrettini, and then Monfils is the best seed in the bottom portion of that quadrant. Not sure a bracket is ever going to set up better for him to make a grand slam semifinal. He'll fuck it up some how.

Att, sweet pics. Sounds like you had a great time.

Agreed about sports should be fun. I have no problem with batters watching home runs- as long as they don't get offended when the pitcher throws at them later. What kyrgios does is borderline crazy. Yelling abuse at your own box, throwing temper tantrums at the ref, yelling at the crowd... There's nothing fun about that. Except for me watching at home lol

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Att, sweet pics. Sounds like you had a great time.

Agreed about sports should be fun. I have no problem with batters watching home runs- as long as they don't get offended when the pitcher throws at them later. What kyrgios does is borderline crazy. Yelling abuse at your own box, throwing temper tantrums at the ref, yelling at the crowd... There's nothing fun about that. Except for me watching at home lol

He's undoubtedly a lunatic.

I would argue that while the yelling at fans and umpires is unseemly, I think ultimately it's mostly harmless. Sure the fan or the umpire may feel shitty in the short term, but nobody is going to be siding with the rantings of a crazy person as opposed to, say, Serena when she berates a chair umpire during the entirety of the US Open Final.

The one time Kyrgios undoubtedly crossed the line was with the "Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend" thing with Wawrinka. He took a private matter between consenting adults and made it very public during a match. It wasn't fair to de-facto slut shame Donna Vekic like that and it wasn't fair to do that to Kokkinakis, someone who was supposedly his friend.

Otherwise though, I just think he's so absurd it's hard to be offended. I mean, the man called a chair umpire a "potato with arms and legs" and I'm sorry, but that's HILARIOUS.

That first 1.5 sets was fun as hell to watch. Then The Queen took control.

Great event, good time, wish the weather hadn’t squashed all the outer courts during the day.

At least you got to see some tennis - prior to the roofs you’d get nothing.
  • Like 1