Louisiana Tech @ Texas 7 PM 8/31 on LHN

Machinator

It is no longer "way too early". Game week is here.

Time to go 1-0.

H/T to @Bevo for digging this up.

LA Tech football depth chart projections ahead of 2019 opener at Texas

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2019/08/23/louisiana-tech-football-depth-chart-projections/2098111001/

RUSTON — Game week is upon Louisiana Tech, which’ll begin preparations for its season opener versus No. 10 Texas Saturday morning after the team conducts a closed scrimmage Friday.

The next media availability for Tech head coach Skip Holtz and a few players will be Tuesday for the first weekly press conference of the year and the first official depth chart will be provided.

With the kickoff to the 2019 season right around seven days away, here are projections on what the Bulldogs’ two-deep at each position could look like:

OFFENSE
QB: J’Mar Smith, redshirt senior; Westin Elliott, redshirt junior; Aaron Allen, redshirt freshman

Smith enters his third season as Louisiana Tech’s starter and with offensive coordinator Todd Fitch taking over as his position coach, more is to be expected from the quarterback who already has 27 career starts and has thrown for 6,546 yards, 33 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

RB: Israel Tucker, redshirt junior; Justin Henderson, redshirt junior AND Jaqwis Dancy, redshirt senior

Tucker, who started five games a year ago, is primed to take the first snap against Texas. But expect to see plenty of Henderson and Dancy, when healthy, this season as the position will be a by-committee approach.

X-receiver: Adrian Hardy, redshirt junior; Praise Okorie, redshirt sophomore AND Malik Stanley redshirt senior

Hardy looks to follow up his breakout 2018 season, where he caught a team-high 75 passes for a career high 1,145 yards and six touchdowns.

H-receiver: Cee Jay Powell, redshirt junior; Davon “Smoke” Harris, redshirt freshman

Powell appears set to take over Teddy Veal’s former spot in the receiving corps and get his first amount of significant playing time in his career. In two seasons, the 5-7, 163-pound slot receiver has 22 catches for 138 yards.

A-receiver: Griffin Hebert, redshirt sophomore; Joshua Matthews, redshirt sophomore

Hebert put in impressive work on his body over the offseason, filling out with more muscle and he’s followed that up with a solid fall camp.

Z-receiver: Isaiah Graham, redshirt junior; George Scott III, junior

Graham, a TCU transfer, has had one of most impressive camps of any players on Tech’s roster and looks primed to be a major difference maker in the passing game.

Y-receiver: Bobby Holly, redshirt senior; Jacob Adams, redshirt sophomore

Whenever Louisiana Tech projects to start with an offensive formation that’ll include the Y position, Holly will be there. The Farmerville native started three games last season and two of his four total receptions went for touchdowns.

RT: Gewhite Stallworth, redshirt senior; Antawn Lewis, junior

Stallworth has been taking the majority of the first-team snaps in practice, leading to believe he’ll get the start at Texas. The big, 6-8, 322-pound tackle has started three games in his career.

RG: Ethan Reed, redshirt senior; Joshua Mote, redshirt sophomore Reed, an All-Conference USA honorable mention lineman last year, has started every game the last three seasons for the Bulldogs. Mote adds valuable depth at the position with four starts under his belt.

Kody Russey, redshirt junior; Abraham Delfin, redshirt sophomore Russey returns to once again anchor Tech’s offensive line in the middle, starting 26 straight games.

LG: Drew Kirkpatrick, redshirt senior; Carter Habich, sophomore

After redshirting in 2017, Kirkpatrick emerged as the starting left guard as 2018 progressed, playing in 11 total games.

LT: Willie Allen, redshirt junior; Biron Rossell, redshirt freshman

Allen, an LSU transfer, seems to have tapped into the potential coaches saw in him when they recruited him two years ago out of Tyler (Texas) Community College. If he gets the nod next weekend, his first FBS collegiate start will come against Texas.

DEFENSE
DE: Ka’Derrion Mason, senior; La’Dante Davenport, redshirt senior

Mason earned two starts a season ago and had six his sophomore campaign. For his career, the 6-4, 291-pound end has 40 tackles with one sack.

NG: Courtney Wallace, redshirt senior; D.J. Jackson, redshirt freshman OR Keivie Rose, freshman

Wallace looks to get his first start of his Tech career against Texas. He’s played in 22 games and has 13 tackles, including three tackles-for-loss and 1.5 sacks.

DE: Milton Williams, redshirt sophomore; Steven Shaw, redshirt freshman

Williams (6-4, 262) has garnered a lot of praise from coaches since the spring and he’s parlayed his solid play into an expected starting role on the defensive line. He saw action in seven games last season.

OLB: Willie Baker, redshirt junior; Tristan Allen, redshirt sophomore

Baker switched positions from end to outside linebacker in defensive coordinator Bob Diaco’s 3-4 scheme. His pass rush skill set will still be utilized, highlighted by four sacks coming in the Hawaii Bowl last year, but he’ll handle come coverage duties as well.

MLB: Connor Taylor, senior; Randy Hogan, redshirt senior OR Trey Baldwin, redshirt junior

The former JUCO National Defensive Player of the Year looks to be more effective this season for the Bulldogs. Taylor ended 2018 with 30 stops.

MLB: Collin Scott, redshirt senior; Alex Zayed, redshirt junior

Scott led the team in tackles last season with 87. The senior linebacker is poised to have another solid season along with handling the defensive calls.

S: James Jackson, redshirt senior; Ezekiel Barnett, redshirt junior

Jackson started every game a season ago, finishing second on the team in tackles with 74, including 8.5 TFLs and had one interception.

S: Darryl Lewis, redshirt senior; Bee Jay Williamson, redshirt freshman

Lewis has collected 130 career stops and six picks in 40 total appearances, including 26 straight starts. He’s one of the veteran leaders on backend of Tech’s defense.

S: L’Jarius Sneed, senior; Jaiden Cole, redshirt sophomore

In the spring, Sneed moved from cornerback to safety and it’s paid dividends for Louisiana Tech’s defense. His three interceptions last year was good enough for second-best on the defense to go along with his 59 total tackles.

CB: Amik Robertson, junior; Zach Hannibal, redshirt junior

Unquestionably the most notable star for the Bulldogs, Robertson enters his third season starting at corner. He paced Tech with four picks, has nine total in two seasons, and for his career, has 123 total stops.

CB: Michael Sam, redshirt senior; Aaron Roberson, redshirt senior

Sam has battled some injuries during his career, but Holtz called him the “most pleasant surprise” this spring after he moved from safety to corner. Sam has pieced together a great fall camp and looks to more talent to an already deep Bulldog secondary.

SPECIAL TEAMS
PK: Bailey Hale, redshirt senior; Brady Farlow, redshirt junior

Hale transferred to Tech from Eastern New Mexico before 2018 and ultimately earned the starting place kicking job. He had a 68 percent field goal rate in his first year, making 15-of-22 with a long of 46.

P: Brady Farlow, redshirt junior; Jacob Barnes, freshman

Behind Davan Dyer last season, Farlow punted five times for 179 yards for a 35.8-yard average.

PR: Davon “Smoke” Harris, redshirt freshman OR Cee Jay Powell, redshirt junior

The two combined for three punt returns in 2018.

KR: Davon “Smoke” Harris, redshirt freshman OR Praise Okorie, redshirt sophomore OR Justin Henderson, redshirt junior

Okorie and Harris piled up a combined 247 yards on 13 kickoff returns last year. Expect those two to be in the mix to field the opening kickoff for Louisiana Tech at Texas next weekend.

• Like 1

• Machinator changed the title to Louisiana Tech @ Texas 7 PM 8/31 on LHN

I believe Shack, Sterns, Ingram, and Eagles will all be practicing this week. Young and Kirko are out.

Edit: Reese Moore will be out as well. I assume Overshown and Wiley are back because I haven't heard anything else to oppose that. Unclear what Woodard's status is.

Edited by Machinator

Fuck the LHN. When is that stupid contract with ESPN complete so we can dissolve this channel for good? 

I will have to rely on the Surly for someone to post a link to the game since the LHN is the most retarded thing our athletic department has ever done. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Thanks for posting their depth chart info. LT will certainly bring some athleticism to the table  - you can expect that from any Louisiana program with as much talent coming out of the state as there is. It looks like they are pretty experienced in general, and they're coming off a winning season. Between those two factors I'd expect a bit more of a fight than your typical tune up game, especially with how sloppy Texas tends to come out early in the year under Herman.

Their offense looks pretty experienced in general, with a few P5 transfers. Breaking in two new tackles is risky against a team with superior talent though. I really want to see Roach, Ossai, etc. get theirs in the pass rush. If Texas has to blitz DBs to get pressure against two newly minted G5 starters on the edge that is not a good look going forward. Not to mention it looks like LT might have the tools at QB and WR to take advantage of a young Texas secondary if given time for plays to develop. This is actually a sneaky matchup for the Texas defense.

On defense, despite their experience, if they are switching schemes I would expect Texas to be able to punish them for the inevitable mistakes that come with the first game in a new system. Asking a converted DE who is apparently their pass rusher to play in coverage should be something Texas can punish relentlessly. If they are playing a 265lb odd-front DE that should be something Texas can attack in the run game. The secondary appears experienced as well but I would expect that Sam and the WR corps will get theirs regardless. Texas should move the ball well and score plenty.

Overall I think this has the look of a game that is never really in doubt, but we may see starters on the field for a lot longer than many are hoping for. I have a feeling LT will be able to exploit the defense for a few big plays and hang around.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Fuck the LHN. When is that stupid contract with ESPN complete so we can dissolve this channel for good? 

I will have to rely on the Surly for someone to post a link to the game since the LHN is the most retarded thing our athletic department has ever done. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFBStreams/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Really? I love it. Haven’t missed a LHN game (unless I was at the game). 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think it’s pretty awesome to be able to watch all the baseball and basketball games that you wouldn’t be able to watch otherwise, but that’s just me....

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Exactly, it’s 2019 and this network sucks so bad that very few providers outside the great state of Texas deem it worthy of broadcasting.

This is the issue. Every year these games are a reminder of how fucking retarded this decision was for fans. I openly root for the complete failure of this Network. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

5 day free trial of PSVue with sports package. Then opt out after the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Y U no have?

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured and unpinned this topic