Graeter's Ice Cream

Bearlyhangingon

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's the best - when they started selling it in NYC I near lost my mind. One third of the Cincy food trinity with Montgomery Inn bbq and Skyline chili.

It's been since the mid 90's when I last had Montgomery Inn BBQ in Cincinnati. That was at the location by the river.

Some years back they opened a store in Columbus. In Dublin. specifically. It was awful. Horrendous. I'm pretty sure the ribs must have been boiled. The waitress told me they used something called a "Ribulator" which was a conveyor belt oven like Pizza Hut uses. Worst ribs I've ever had. And they came with a side of sauce that tasted like ketchup. They closed a few years ago. 

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's been since the mid 90's when I last had Montgomery Inn BBQ in Cincinnati. That was at the location by the river.

Some years back they opened a store in Columbus. In Dublin. specifically. It was awful. Horrendous. I'm pretty sure the ribs must have been boiled. The waitress told me they used something called a "Ribulator" which was a conveyor belt oven like Pizza Hut uses. Worst ribs I've ever had. And they came with a side of sauce that tasted like ketchup. They closed a few years ago. 

Oh that's just awful. The river location is tasty.

14 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

"French pot"?

Don't make me look this up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

French Pot is basically a small batch production process.  Instead of making a couple hundred gallons of ice cream at a time, all the ingredients are added to a small 4 gallon bucket or pot.  The ingredients are added by hand and the pot rotates inside a refrigerated base.  Once the ice cream is mixed and frozen, it's hand packed into individual containers. At their production facility here in Columbus, they have 50 to 75 of these French Pots and they work 2 shifts in the Summer to keep up with the demand.  My company did some renovation work for them a few years back and it's quite the operation.  The Columbus facility is open to the public and you can watch the ice cream being made.

Graeter's also uses a high butterfat content mix, so the ice cream is pretty rich.  I don't care for it all that much as for me, it's like eating a stick of butter.

The Montgomery Inn location in Dublin closed about a year ago.  I ate there once and it was terrible.  I ate at the Boat House location along the Ohio River years ago and remember it being a pretty good meal.

Skyline chili (with or without beans) sucks.  Out of town visitors are fascinated with this swill.   

• Like 1

Skyline chili is awesome. So is Gold Star chili. They both serve Cincinnati chili. Cincinnati chili is awesome. Ever have it homemade? Skyline and Gold Star are fast food joints. And they do a great job. Certainly better than Chipotle. They're a Michelin restaurant compared to Taco Bell. Or Subway. Or McDonald's. (Or Chipotle.)

Mmmm...I don't care that you don't get it. No one does. 

And now I'm in the mood for a five way and a coney all the way. 

That’s just a pile of shredded cheese on top of spaghetti sauce. 

I looked up both recipes. Spaghetti meat sauce and Cincinnati Skyline Chili only differ because they switch out the oregano & basil with cumin, cayenne, cinnamon and chili powder. 

Edited by Neonmoon