Foods you love that are often disappointing.

Incredulity

51 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I can only think of a couple of times I have gotten it at a restaurant and been truly happy. Would rather make it home or have my mom make it.

I also love when your mom makes me King Ranch casserole. 

On 8/27/2019 at 6:03 AM, Spankytoes said:

That’s like going to Texas and eating at Dickey’s. The only upside is going to the Cannoli King afterwards. (Add cannolis to this list)

I had Jim’s Steaks last weekend in Philly and it was good. There is a place called Shorty’s in the FiDi, a short walk from my office, that is very good. Most of the time the meat is bland and dry. Tony Luke’s fits that bill. The sandwich sounds good on paper but it’s rare that I’m impressed with the dripping mess.

And sharp provolone and American are acceptable cheeses to use for a proper cheesesteak. 

The difference between Cheez Whiz and American cheese is negligible.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Bloody Marys are borderline religion in this part of the world, but you're right in that places that tend to try to fancy it up often fuck it up and over complicate things.  What I'm posting is something you would find in a Midwestern dive bar where people show up at 10AM on Sunday and call it "going to church".  

I don't know about which part the dive bar adds to the equation, but the two that have formed my likely unpopular opinion on the subject both were served in Chicago.  One was at a nicer place, and the other was at O'Hare.  The bartender at O'Hare, and old school sort, did the whole thing from scratch, complete with olives and dill on a spear.  I was excited because he appeared to be serving up a lost art in an unlikely setting.  You probably would have loved it. 

I look at it like I look at brisket.  I don't need a complicated rub or to slather it with sauce.  Too much is liable to mess it up for me.    More likely, I prefer what most would consider to be a shitty Bloody Mary.

• Like 1

Chicago would be just outside of my "Bloody Mary = Jesus" sphere, but not terribly far.  The fancy place doesn't surprise me.  The one at O'Hare sounds like I would dig it.

When I've had a shitty Bloody Mary, it's one that's essentially tomato juice and vodka with no seasoning, no garnish, and no chaser.  Your preference sounds like something I would put together tailgating and didn't want to deal with lugging extra shit around.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Your preference sounds like something I would put together tailgating and didn't want to deal with lugging extra shit around.

Yeah.  Ice.  Vodka.  Store bought Bloody Mary mix.  Lime.  The airplane version.  Spicy, but not chunky style.

I can't decide if what's offending me about the more complex versions is that someone is putting fish sauce in it, or if it's the horseradish, which I'm not averse to enjoying in other recipes, or if it's too much lemon juice.  Might even be too much Worcestershire sauce, but I doubt it.

Edited by dcbc

5 minutes ago, huge said:

I dont order brisket or gumbo unless I know what I am getting myself into.

Easiest things to try to serve and completely fuck up.  Ribs on the other hand, I like ribs even when they aren't at the top end.

No thank you, if they're not great, I'm wasting calories.

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Yeah.  Ice.  Vodka.  Store bought Bloody Mary mix.  Lime.  The airplane version.  Spicy, but not chunky style.

I can't decide if what's offending me about the more complex versions is that someone is putting fish sauce in it, or if it's the horseradish, which I'm not averse to enjoying in other recipes, or if it's too much lemon juice.  Might even be too much Worcestershire sauce, but I doubt it.

A proper bloody with vodka has some horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce, and some celery seed.  A bloody should have texture. Zing Zang mix for the win, unless it's a fantastic from scratch mix

I prefer bloody Marias,  I think Tequila mixes with the Bloody Mary mix better than Vodka.

• Like 2

I had always grown up loving cheese steaks made with provolone or mozzarella and peppers/onion. Had to go to Philadelphia about 15 years ago and decided to try one of those famous Philly cheese steak places. Wait the line, get up and order, and when it comes out it has that fake ass processed cheese whiz shit on it. I asked the guy what the fuck is this and requested some real fucking cheese because I'm not eating fake ass cheese on a cheese steak. After much back and forth cursing I gave the sandwich to a kid that was behind me and left. Should have figured those uneducated, idiot rubes in Philadelphia would willingly choose processed fake cheese over the real deal. 
Was the chef Tony Ragu or Danny Amenjola?
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2019 at 12:17 PM, Par4 said:

Peaches

I came here to post this. I'm 39 and have just figured out (majority of the time) the timing on when to bite into a peach. Got 3 at the store over the weekend, one was amazing yesterday, one was a little mushy today and I'll likely have to throw the 3rd out. 

Also, blackberries and cantaloupe. Both are fantastic if at peak ripeness but are pretty bad on either side of it. 

7 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

A friend once ranted about how expensive Italian restaurants are bullshit, and you’re better off going to Olive Garden. 

for $15 of ingredients i can make spaghetti for 25 people that's better than most italian places. for the most part good italian food is a function of time or freshness of ingredients.

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

This may be better for the unpopular opinion's thread, but I absolutely cannot stand a fancy Bloody Mary.  I just want Vodka, a cheap to mediocre store bought mixer and a traditional garnish of celery (even though I'd prefer a lime).  Salt on the rim is a red flag for me, too.  More red flags are pickles, olives, and basically any shit visibly floating in the glass that isn't ice.

It's gotten to the point where the only place I'm able to enjoy a Bloody Mary's is at my house or on an airplane.

I’m not anti-fancy, but I do agree that a plane Bloody Mary (vodka, T’s, lime wedge, and some carry-on Tabasco) tastes better than a lot of $13 Bloody Marys I’ve ordered.  

This mix called “The Real Dill” I found in Colorado turned me onto pickle juice as an ingredient. I don’t mind olives or a splash of olive juice either. I love savory. Love dirty martinis.

salt on the rim is just horrible, though. I don’t need an extra blast of salt with each sip of a savory drink.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

for $15 of ingredients i can make spaghetti for 25 people that's better than most italian places. for the most part good italian food is a function of time or freshness of ingredients.

There are exceptions.  Lucia in Dallas is one of them.

• Like 1

I started using pickle juice just to get more drinks out of a bottle of mix back in school.  Zing Zang was a long time go-to, but I eventually burned out.  It's good, I've just had it a ton.  There are a handful of good local mixes that I prefer, and as far as national brands I probably reach for Mr & Mrs T's Bold more than Zing Zang these days.

• 3 weeks later...
Learned how to scramble eggs correctly from a French chef.  Very Low heat.  Lots of butter.  Don’t stir that much.  Damn they’re good. 

This, x infinity.
It’s so damned easy, and so few people do it right. I make scrambled eggs when we have folks over for brunch, and people talk about how they’re life-changing. It’s nuts, for something that’s so easy.

I know bbq has been discussed in this thread but I don't think the aspect of "because it's so goddamn expensive" everywhere now has been mentioned. Everyone wants to charge $20/pound for shit I wouldn't feed my dog. 

BBQ is truly a good reputation "word of mouth" recommendation for me these days because I'm not about wasting my money on even mediocre brisket. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 10:58 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShL3cx9WWqM7pN8woDegv

Meanwhile, tapas sound like a good idea in the abstract, but every tapas place I've ever been to has been absolute rubbish.

Dali in Cambridge, MA, used to be the absolute bomb, but that was a long time ago.

Edited by BHMCruiser

On 8/28/2019 at 8:26 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Bloody Marys are borderline religion in this part of the world, but you're right in that places that tend to try to fancy it up often fuck it up and over complicate things.  What I'm posting is something you would find in a Midwestern dive bar where people show up at 10AM on Sunday and call it "going to church".  

I fucking hate the do it yourself Bloody Mary bars that are in vogue these days.  I’m usually hungover if I’m having a Bloody Mary.  Don’t make me do the fucking work then charge double.  God damn hipsters.  

12 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I fucking hate the do it yourself Bloody Mary bars that are in vogue these days.  I’m usually hungover if I’m having a Bloody Mary.  Don’t make me do the fucking work then charge double.  God damn hipsters.  

My opinion on these is completely tied to cost.  I know a place in Rochester, MN that does it for $3.  They have a great house made mix, and every pickled thing you could want plus meats and cheeses.  And you get an 8 oz pour of Grain Belt.

However, most of these places do what you're pointing out and charge like fucking $10 for it.  Fuck that.

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My opinion on these is completely tied to cost.  I know a place in Rochester, MN that does it for $3.  They have a great house made mix, and every pickled thing you could want plus meats and cheeses.  And you get an 8 oz pour of Grain Belt.

However, most of these places do what you're pointing out and charge like fucking $10 for it.  Fuck that.

It’s like $20 here.  I’ve done the ones for $5. I’d still rather then make it but I won’t bitch about those.  

Eastern Peaches. When they are on, it's glorious, but they are completely hit or miss, and without fail, you go one too many times to the well and you close out the season with a mealy peach you have to spit out.

You get a 1 month window in the Summer and if their was a late freeze, stored wrong, or the rain was off or whatever, they are shit and you get none at all.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:09 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Learned how to scramble eggs correctly from a French chef.  Very Low heat.  Lots of butter.  Don’t stir that much.  Damn they’re good. 

Yeah, I remember our first trip to Paris. The eggs were fluffy, and had an extra something that made them a bit richer.  After about 4 days I was over them and just wanted a scrambled egg with some good sharp cheddar mixed in.  The French don't just cook anything. Its always mixed, sauced, prepared....

33 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Eastern Peaches. When they are on, it's glorious, but they are completely hit or miss, and without fail, you go one too many times to the well and you close out the season with a mealy peach you have to spit out.

You get a 1 month window in the Summer and if their was a late freeze, stored wrong, or the rain was off or whatever, they are shit and you get none at all.

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, I remember our first trip to Paris. The eggs were fluffy, and had an extra something that made them a bit richer.  After about 4 days I was over them and just wanted a scrambled egg with some good sharp cheddar mixed in.  The French don't just cook anything. Its always mixed, sauced, prepared....

WTF?  They're not "mixed/sauced" etc....you literally make sure you have plenty of butter in the pan.  You pour the whisked eggs in the pan.  You let them start to set, then fold them gently with a rubber spatula as the curds form.  That's fucking it.  Don't be skimpy on the butter, be patient, and fold them gently instead of toss them all around.  And yeah, if you want to throw some green chiles and/or cheese in there, go on and do it.  I do.

Jesus.  Fucking complaining about French cooking.  For fuck's sake.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

WTF?  They're not "mixed/sauced" etc....you literally make sure you have plenty of butter in the pan.  You pour the whisked eggs in the pan.  You let them start to set, then fold them gently with a rubber spatula as the curds form.  That's fucking it.  Don't be skimpy on the butter, be patient, and fold them gently instead of toss them all around.  And yeah, if you want to throw some green chiles and/or cheese in there, go on and do it.  I do.

Jesus.  Fucking complaining about French cooking.  For fuck's sake.

I like French food, but it can be uber rich at times.  The hotel we were staying in had Amazing food, but after a few days of very rich eggs (they were doing more than what you're calling out) I was ready for some good old fashioned scrambled eggs, and cheese.  

How do you not fall off that ledge ?  It's just food for fucks sake......

Edited by Onboard 2.0

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I like French food, but it can be uber rich at times.  The hotel we were staying in had Amazing food, but after a few days of very rich eggs (they were doing more than what you're calling out) I was ready for some good old fashioned scrambled eggs, and cheese.  

How do you not fall off that ledge ?  It's just food for fucks sake......

Just food?  Fucking eggs are important, man.

0kxR9EIDkmO17SeNN.jpg

• Like 1

Wings.
I'll eat about any wing at the right price, but there are a lot of times when some aspect of them is clearly off, be it lame sauce, too little meat, or improper cooking.  Good wings are about my favorite thing.  I really hate it when a place just serves what amounts to crappy fried chicken and passes it off as wings.

I got you fam.

3021b15e5abf737477517b9f73af1b02.jpg
  • Like 1