Darrell K Royal

Born Burnt

He was a hell of a coach.

Posted these years ago at the old shaggy homestead, but thought I'd do it again here if you don't mind.  These are pages from the game program for the UW - Illinois game at Husky Stadium in 1956 (my grandfather took his little girl - my Mom - to that game and she brought back this program).  That was DKR's one and only year here before heading to the Forty Acres; until Sark bailed on us (we survived) he was the last coach that left here for another school of his own volition.  Hook 'em, DKR - and thanks for spending a year here!

26359927673_9d8a2443b9_c.jpg 

26359928703_fb8bd7e3cf_c.jpg

• Like 9

"You know, a football coach is nothing more than a teacher. You teach them the same subject, and you have a group of new guys every year."

“Will Rogers never met Barry Switzer.” xD

“If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn’t eat ‘em.”

“As long as a person doesn’t admit he is defeated, he is not defeated — he’s just a little behind and isn’t through fighting.”

"I want to be remembered as a winning coach, but I also want to be remembered as an honest and ethical coach. "

"For me, it is just the total experience - from the time I first started as an assistant coach until I wound up at the University of Texas for 20 years."

A few notable quotes of the southwestern legend OU grad & legendary University of Texas head football coach... - Darrell Royal

30624470_2046116255648545_42015389153597

Edited by kopp0e

On 4/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, flatdawgs said:

Posted these years ago at the old shaggy homestead, but thought I'd do it again here if you don't mind.  These are pages from the game program for the UW - Illinois game at Husky Stadium in 1956 (my grandfather took his little girl - my Mom - to that game and she brought back this program).  That was DKR's one and only year here before heading to the Forty Acres; until Sark bailed on us (we survived) he was the last coach that left here for another school of his own volition.  Hook 'em, DKR - and thanks for spending a year here!

Cool pics. You can partially blame Bryant for him leaving after the one year. He was asked by the UT BOT(BOR?) for his recommendation for a new coach and his suggestion was Royal. He met Royal quite a few years earlier, when Bryant was the head coach at Kentucky and Royal was a grad assistant at OU. Royal was assigned to show Bryant around when he visited the OU facilites. He said he saw something in him that day and they became lifelong friends.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:05 AM, The Triple Lindy said:

Just want to take a moment to acknowledge and thank every single offensive player involved in this play for doing their job and making sure this was successful. One of the most meaningful plays in Texas football history.

Edited by GotThatFire

• 2 months later...
Will never forget the Iowa state game in 2012 where we came out in the wishbone.
I'll never forget that I was the first on the Shag to suggest it..

Earned enough green rep that day to be an asshole for next 2 years straight.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:06 PM, Born Burnt said:

184–60–5.

God, I love this photo:

JAMESSTREET.jpg?fit=1024,1024

At a Texas Exes fundraiser after DKR's passing, I was the high bidder on this picture framed and signed by Jimmy Street.

I also have a slightly version of this same picture signed & numbered by DKR.  I found it on sale as the LonghornsLTD website a year before he passed.  I ended up buying another autographed picture of DKR celebrating while being carried off the field after beating Ole Miss in the 1962 Cotton Bowl. I can't find the picture online though...  I have those framed in my gameroom and don't regret that at all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

What a great Texas legend.  Born and raised in Texas and graduated from the University of Texas.  A great Texan and Longhorn from the day he was born

ISWYDT.  He saw the light.  Hook 'em, anyway!

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Like 1

My father played for Coach Royal, from 60-64, and always said that he was the greatest influence on his life.

After graduating in 64 and receiving his “T” ring from him, it was his proudest accomplishment - he’s 76 now and still wears it to this day! Inscribed on the inside is simply “To Mickey Riggs from Coach Royal.” Over 50 years and he wears it daily - enough said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

My father played for Coach Royal, from 60-64, and always said that he was the greatest influence on his life.

After graduating in 64 and receiving his “T” ring from him, it was his proudest accomplishment - he’s 76 now and still wears it to this day! Inscribed on the inside is simply “To Mickey Riggs from Coach Royal.” Over 50 years and he wears it daily - enough said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is pretty damn cool. 

On 4/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, flatdawgs said:

Coach Royal was the first football coach I remember watching as a young boy.  It happened to be 1963 and what better year to become a Longhorn fan.  Your program also shows Jim Pittman, who later coached at TCU after leaving Texas.  I was at the game in Waco in 1971 when he collapsed on the sideline with a fatal heart attack.  Became friends with his son Brad here in Fort Worth and got some great stories from him about Coach Royal and his dad. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pch said:

Coach Royal was the first football coach I remember watching as a young boy.  It happened to be 1963 and what better year to become a Longhorn fan.  Your program also shows Jim Pittman, who later coached at TCU after leaving Texas.  I was at the game in Waco in 1971 when he collapsed on the sideline with a fatal heart attack.  Became friends with his son Brad here in Fort Worth and got some great stories from him about Coach Royal and his dad. 

I didn't realize that about Coach Pittman (in my defense I was 4).  Damn, that's rough but at least he was doing what he loved.  Very cool that you got to know his son and hear what must have been some amazing stories.

The coaching fraternity - especially at that level - is very small.

DKR's replacement at UW was Jim Owens, one of the Junction Boys/aggy coaches.  He did quite well to start (including 3 Rose Bowls and one of those dumb disputed MNCs in 1960), but I think the state of Texas got the better of that swap with the state of Washington in the long run.

• 1 year later...

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-countdown-football-5-best-darrell-royal-quotes/

Capturing a few DKR quotes....

If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn’t eat ‘em.”

Three things can happen when you pass, and two of ‘em are bad.”  

Hell, no, I’m not going to candy this thing up. These are work clothes.”  

(TCU) is like a bunch of cockroaches. It’s not what they eat and tote off, it’s what they fall into and mess up that hurts.”  

Sometimes you have to suck it up and call a number.”

He’s smoother than smoke through a key hole.” 

Will Rogers never met Barry Switzer.” 

He doesn’t have a lot of speed, but maybe Elizabeth Taylor can’t sing.” 

I do not let a bad score ruin my enjoyment for golf.” 

Don’t matter what they throw at us. Only angry people win football games. “ 

Punt returns will kill you quicker than a minnow can swim a dipper.”

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, alincoln said:

It's truly bizarre that Texas hasn't tried to hire the closest replica to DKR on the market.  I have no idea who that is, but I do know that its none of the dudes who have coached here since him.

Idk if they make em like that anymore? He was not only an incredible X's and O's coach but held his players to a high standard while also having a loving soft side. That clip of him giving Steinmark the game ball after the Cotton Bowl chokes me up every time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkovVyqZ1R8

Edited by RoyalBevo21