Darrell K Royal

Born Burnt

(DKR and Willie clip starts at the 1:26:00 mark at end of video)

Old film at end of the Longhorn Tailgate video, has Willie Nelson singing "Good Hearted Woman" and "Whiskey River" at a private party with DKR.... Just Awesome!!

Willie with short hair, and DKR drinking Budweiser...  CLASSIC!!  🤘  

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 10/26/2019 at 10:17 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I did manage to be in school for one of his two non winning seasons as a college head coach though

It likely would have been better had not future Heisman and Outland trophy winners missed much of that season due to injury.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:17 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I did manage to be in school for one of his two non winning seasons as a college head coach though

My first Texas game was the 0-30 ass kicking handed out by UH in 1976. I was a HS sophomore (damn, you’re old). Our seats were in the lower part of the horseshoe, so that didn’t help.

My second game was Royal’s and Broyle’s final game. Our seats were in at the very top of the upper deck. That beat being in the lower horseshoe. 

I got to see DKR play on my birthday in 1949.  My parents took us to the game in Dallas.  We lived in Tulsa and I was a Sooner growing up.  I had never seen such a huge crowd.  Luckily I changed teams, just like DKR.  He will always be my football hero.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/2/2020 at 4:34 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

My first Texas game was the 0-30 ass kicking handed out by UH in 1976. I was a HS sophomore (damn, you’re old). Our seats were in the lower part of the horseshoe, so that didn’t help.

My second game was Royal’s and Broyle’s final game. Our seats were in at the very top of the upper deck. That beat being in the lower horseshoe. 

My first was the nasty, rainy, Thanksgiving game vs. aggy that year.  Think it was 3-27 and the stadium was maybe 75% full and half were aggys.

• Rage+1 1

On 12/23/2021 at 6:48 AM, Bama Llama said:

My football memory goes back to 1959 and Coach Royal and Texas are right there with Coach Bryant and Bama.  DKR and the Horns were the coach and team we just could not beat until the Rose Bowl in 2010.  The 1960 Bluebonnet Bowl was a sister  kissin tie, 3-3.  1965 Orange Bowl was a heartbreaking loss, 21-17 Texas.  I can still see Ernie Koy all alone on the TV screen running forever on a long TD.  DKR had the gotcha quote for that game.  When asked how far Joe Namath was from the goal line in that game-deciding fourth down run, Coach said "About that far," giving the hook 'em sign.  1973 Cotton Bowl ended up Texas 17, Bama 13 adding a bitter conclusion  the 1972 season and "Punt Bama, Punt" Iron Bowl debacle. My favorite DKR qoute was "Oh , there's gonna be some snot knockin' in the old okra patch today!"  He was onr of a kind, true dat.

I remember some games earlier, but this game was so big that the whole family went to our first "watch party"  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:54 PM, LTtxfan said:

(DKR and Willie clip starts at the 1:26:00 mark at end of video)

Old film at end of the Longhorn Tailgate video, has Willie Nelson singing "Good Hearted Woman" and "Whiskey River" at a private party with DKR.... Just Awesome!!

Willie with short hair, and DKR drinking Budweiser...  CLASSIC!!  🤘  

Is that somehow Lee Corso on the couch in the red shirt?    I know he played ball with Mack and Burt Reynolds at FSU...have no idea why he would be at this event, but is sure looks like him.    Thanks for posting this.    BTW...Jackie Venson is going to explode post Covid.   

• 3 months later...

Referencing the picture from 1963 posted earlier of the Texas vs OU game, both teams entered that game ranked 1 and 2 Nationally. OU being ranked #1 prior to the game vs #2 Texas would set the mark for the remainder of that season.

As historic as both programs have been over the following decades, that was the LAST matchup (to date) between the two teams with both being #1 and #2 heading into the October rivalry.

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Referencing the picture from 1963 posted earlier of the Texas vs OU game, both teams entered that game ranked 1 and 2 Nationally. OU being ranked #1 prior to the game vs #2 Texas would set the mark for the remainder of that season.

As historic as both programs have been over the following decades, that was the LAST matchup (to date) between the two teams with both being #1 and #2 heading into the October rivalry.

Hook’em!

My dad was attending a Mizzou game in Columbia at the same time.
He said when the stadium announcer at Faurot Field reported the score of the UT/OU game quarter by quarter, the crowd responded with huge roars of approval.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Hook’em!

Cool story. I bet you have a lot of them from your dad. It would be great to read some of them.

However, wasn’t the 1984 tie a 1 vs 2 matchup?

On 12/26/2021 at 10:21 PM, msucolt45 said:

My Dad played for Coach Royal from 61-63. They never lost to Arkansas, OU sucks, or aggy!

On 4/13/2022 at 8:36 AM, msucolt45 said:

That picture is actually from the Texas vs OU game in 1963. Taken at coin toss, waiting to see who will kick or receive.

I know this, because my dad is the player with his hand on hip, behind the player (front-right) that is clapping.

Hook’em!

I've heard this story before and it never gets old! Your dad is cooler than most others! 

• 2 months later...

When we hosted Arkansas in 2003, the night before they held a banquet for the ‘63 team and Coach Broyals (Arky HC) was in attendance, celebrating the 40th Anniversary of UT’s first NC.

Coach Royal actually asked my Dad to speak on what it meant to be a Longhorn. A room full of guys like T Noblis and other “all-Americans” and DKR wanted my Dad to speak. CSB!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 9

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

DKR and Frank Broyles were great rivals but better friends. They played a lot of golf together. I grew up in that era and it was certainly a more better time, and the two of them changed college football. Unfortunately today they would be vilified and disregarded in this modern era that’s turning something so special into just another bullshit product. God bless you Coach Royal. Texas needs you now.

• Hook 'Em 3