Why Haven't I seen any of you degenerates start a ZZ Top Thread?

Hornius Emeritus

CSB

My half-brother managed and played part time keys with The Moving Sidewalks back in the 60s and was involved on some level with ZZ's First Album. 

My half-brother and Billy.

BHDg-L6eu-Mk-Uq-Ud-MJq-Qfjk-CWm3i-Tj-Waq

Also, I sat next to Dusty chatting it up in Lizards Pub in Houston for about 10 minutes before I figured out who he was and bought him a drink.

/CSB

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
Oh hell yes.

Had the pleasure of meeting the Reverend once. He told us a story about Roger Waters inviting him to England to try to talk him into joining Pink Floyd. Wtf?

I shook his hand in Austin in the lobby of the W several years ago. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will always enjoy them. My dad's favorite  band. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he bought tickets to a ZZ Top show at the Erwin Center for the family, rented a limo, and after the show we went to Deep Eddy and all got hammered on pitchers of PBR.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

I will always enjoy them. My dad's favorite  band. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he bought tickets to a ZZ Top show at the Erwin Center for the family, rented a limo, and after the show we went to Deep Eddy and all got hammered on pitchers of PBR.

I heard that on the X. 

• Like 1

Someone help me out here. I used to work with a guy in the mid-80’s who was a drummer. People around the office claimed he used to drum with the ZZ Top crew when they were younger and missed out on an opportunity to become part of the band. His name was Kerry. I can find no record of this whatsoever but I’ve always wondered if it was bs.

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Sorry, been a long day and have been drinking hard since I got home. Got it. 

You are forgiven this time. 

DO NOT let ZZ Top trivia get lost on your drinking habits. 

My drinking has never got in the way of Top trivia. At least that I remember. 

On 8/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, dcbc said:

CSB

My half-brother managed and played part time keys with The Moving Sidewalks back in the 60s and was involved on some level with ZZ's First Album. 

My half-brother and Billy.

BHDg-L6eu-Mk-Uq-Ud-MJq-Qfjk-CWm3i-Tj-Waq

Also, I sat next to Dusty chatting it up in Lizards Pub in Houston for about 10 minutes before I figured out who he was and bought him a drink.

/CSB

Brother looks like he's about to defend Delta house vs Dean Wormer double-secret probation violation.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a couple decent ZZ Top stories.  First was when I camped out all night at Jeppesen Stadium for ZZ Top tickets at like 13 years old.  (I drove my folks nuts) The lineup was ZZ Top, Wishbone Ash, Doobie Brothers and Willie Nelson, in the Summer of '73.  Parents scheduled vacation on that date, and I missed the concert.

Second one was a few years later in the Summer of 1979.  I worked selling shoes in the Galleria in Houston at a very high end store called Morgan Hayes.  I think I was making $8 an hour plus 8% commission, and the cheapest shoes we had in the store were like $175 sandals.  One day I had this hip guy come in and I had him loaded up with two of the most expensive pairs of shoes we had pushing $1000, so the commission was like working a full Saturday hourly!  At the counter the guy mentioned he was in a rock and Roll band.  I asked "Which one?"  At which point he walked out of the store and the commission was gone.  Of course it was the only fucking member without a beard, Frank "fucking" Beard!  Still makes me mad I asked that damn question.

Third was at a bar called Juan Goldstein's on 6th Street in the winter of 81/82.  It was sort of known as a coke bar from the old school close up phone booth with the mirror ledge in it off the bar.  but they had great vibe and I took this gorgeous model gal there for some red wine and we split I think we split a lude. Well we are sitting in there and who strolls in but Dusty and Van WIlks (back when he still had some hair) and they take a table next to us in the nearly empty place.  We sat and gabbed with them an hour or so, and us both being from Houston and ZZ having a house near my childhood home we had some good conversation.  Well long story short is Billy picks up my tab, which was over $100 so that was a nice surprise.  The other surprise was he got my model gal's number when I was in the can...  😉 

I have seen them a couple times but twice supporting the Stones in 1982 once in Houston and once in Dallas, with the Fabulous Thunderbirds opening, and a couple other times.  they were the total shit in the Late 70's early '80's.  Jungle show here every holiday season is fun to see at least once.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 8:10 AM, stc said:

this whole album is dirty and i feel like it's really overlooked. love this song...was also on the dusk til dawn sountrack. 

I got into ZZ during their synth years (and don't tell me those songs aren't good), learned who they were through classic rock radio, but this album... It's amazing. Yeah. It's special.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1