Just Finished Taxi

Vic Mackey

Watched this through Hulu (as well as supplemented with a torrent since they had episodes missing). Great show! Been on my radar for a few years. Christoper Lloyd as Jim is fucking genius and now one of my favorite characters on any tv show as is Judd Hirsch as Alex. Danny Devito was genius as usual. You had a good mixture of comedy as well as deep moments.

And I always heard of Andy Kaufman throughout the years but never knew much about him. I had no idea he played in this as Latka. I didn't even know he was Latka until midway through season 2 since I didn't really watch the end credits. Looks like he died shortly after this show ended. 

Was this show cancelled after season 5 (the final season)? It just seemed like a random episode and didn't wrap anything up and did not feel like a finale at all.

I recommend "Man on the Moon", with Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman.  I have not seen it yet, but there is a Netflix documentary on my to-watch-list called "Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond" that is a behind-the-scenes look at Carrey's efforts to play Kaufman.  I don't know how to explain Carrey not getting at least an Oscar nomination for his work and can only attribute it to Hollywood not wanting to taking him seriously as an actor.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Was this show cancelled after season 5 (the final season)? It just seemed like a random episode and didn't wrap anything up and did not feel like a finale at all.

This used to be commonplace. Shows didn't have big finales; they just ended. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This used to be commonplace. Shows didn't have big finales; they just ended. 

I do remember Good Times did wrap everything up and gave each character a "happy ending" and set the stage for what their lives would be like after the show ended. All In The Family had a pretty good ending when Archie visits Edith in bed and shows he does actually have a heart behind his antics. Although those characters did continue after that show ended.

It was actually canceled twice, first by ABC then after one season on NBC. Critically well regarded, ratings were ok but not great, but maybe enough to keep giving it a slot. Someone involved with the production must have been a pain in the ass. Oh yeah, see Kaufman, Andy and Conaway, Jeff.

NBC replaced it with Night Court, which was kinda like Taxi in a courtroom.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

It was actually canceled twice, first by ABC then after one season on NBC. Critically well regarded, ratings were ok but not great, but maybe enough to keep giving it a slot. Someone involved with the production must have been a pain in the ass. Oh yeah, see Kaufman, Andy and Conaway, Jeff.

NBC replaced it with Night Court, which was kinda like Taxi in a courtroom.

Night Court is another show I want to watch one day. Is it worth running through completely?

I also see Bob Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore on Hulu. I try and watch one or two old shows in completion every year if I can.

I think the only three-camera comedy I ever really loved was Cheers. I didn't like the Norman Lear stuff or Taxi or Garry Marshall's stuff. 

The times I watched Taxi, Lloyd was the stand-out. Once somebody randomly asks how far Rio is from NYC. Lloyd blurts out, "1,834 miles."

Another driver: How did you know that?

Lloyd: You mean I was right?

Killed me. I never gave WKRP in Cincinnati a chance other than luckily catching the turkey episode.

Maybe the shooting style is too claustrophobic and the acting to much like theater. 

Anyway, probably my loss.

• Like 2

Night Court is worth it for Dan Fielding and Markie Post’s tits. Bull is pretty good, too. Harry Anderson is actually the straight man.

Just don’t get attached to the elderly female bailiffs.

MTM is a classic, just remember this stuff is 40+ years old, so it may not all translate, or a comic theme may seem familiar... that’s because others have stolen it. 

Both Bob Newhart series are excellent.

I’m rewatching Cheers right now, Coach just died and Woody has entered the picture. It’s probably my favorite series of all time. Brilliantly written. I never appreciated her as much as I should have, but Shelley Long killed it. And it’s great to once again enjoy the surprising emergence of Kelsey Grammer, who stole so many scenes, he became a star in his own right.

So, if you haven’t watched Cheers, that would be my next move.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Night Court is another show I want to watch one day. Is it worth running through completely?

I also see Bob Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore on Hulu. I try and watch one or two old shows in completion every year if I can.

For my taste MTM>Newhart, but they're both great. Lots of great characters in both. CBS on Sat night was murderers' row in mid 70s.

qwgc9h.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

John Larroquette as Dan Fielding is one of the greatest characters in tv history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I think the only three-camera comedy I ever really loved was Cheers. I didn't like the Norman Lear stuff or Taxi or Garry Marshall's stuff. 

The times I watched Taxi, Lloyd was the stand-out. Once somebody randomly asks how far Rio is from NYC. Lloyd blurts out, "1,834 miles."

Another driver: How did you know that?

Lloyd: You mean I was right?

Killed me. I never gave WKRP in Cincinnati a chance other than luckily catching the turkey episode.

Maybe the shooting style is too claustrophobic and the acting to much like theater. 

Anyway, probably my loss.

wkrp is so, so good. les nessman's office. lonnie anderson's boobs. venus flytrap. herb tarlek. dr johnny fever.

jesus, so much greatness.

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Night Court is worth it for Dan Fielding and Markie Post’s tits. Bull is pretty good, too. Harry Anderson is actually the straight man.

MTM is a classic, just remember this stuff is 40+ years old, so it may not all translate, or a comic theme may seem familiar... that’s because others have stolen it. 

I’m rewatching Cheers right now, Coach just died and Woody has entered the picture. It’s probably my favorite series of all time. Brilliantly written. I never appreciated her as much as I should have, but Shelley Long killed it. And it’s great to once again enjoy the surprising emergence of Kelsey Grammer, who stole so many scenes, he became a star in his own right.

Fraser and Lilith had such a great dynamic as a couple, much better storyline than either of Sam/Diane/Rebecca. 

• Like 2

i will second Night Court.

I will doubly second News Radio. The first 4 seasons are brilliant. Skip Season 5 with Phil Hartman.

The cast was so good, as well as the writing.

Phil Hartman, Joe Rogan, Andy Dick, Maura Tierney, Stephen Root, Dave Foley

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yep I watched Cheers all the way through about 4 years ago. It was a classic! I saw Rhea Pearlman was Louie's gf here on Taxi. Weren't they married in real life?

And for sure. I know these took place decades ago so everything won't be relevant today but I prefer old comedies to the junk today (at least on network tv that is).

Frasier on Cheers started off slow but when he took off and came into his own, he became a character.

I watched most of Coach growing up with my Dad. Also a really good show. Don't think I'd go back and do a complete rewatch, though.

All of the shows mentioned so far have been great.  I was always partial to Cheers, Taxi and the first few season of Wings. The Wings episode where "Lloyd" (Hayden Thomas Church) ate the mushrooms was pretty goddamn funny. 

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I just re-watched recently and you are correct.  Shelley Long really stood out the second time around.  

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Shelly Long was sooooo much better than Kirstie Alley.  The Coach and Woody transition was much better.  Coach was better, but not by the margin that Shelly Long was over Alley. 

She was so easy to dislike, that you could miss how great she handled that character. 

8 hours ago, retread said:

For my taste MTM>Newhart, but they're both great. Lots of great characters in both. CBS on Sat night was murderers' row in mid 70s.

qwgc9h.jpg

Not to distract from all the good show talk, but as young lad "Emergency!" would be the show on that list I would force my parents to watch.

Only as an older person watching re-runs would I come to appreciate your point.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

I’ll go back a bit further and plug The Dick Van Dyke Show. I feel like it was ahead of its time, somehow both sophisticated and slapstick at the same time-Van Dyke is brilliant, the material was great, the supporting cast is top notch, and a young Mary Tyler Moore was a knockout.

• Like 1

Night Court was one of my favorites as a teenager...maybe Markie's posts had something to do with that. Although, my favorite character was actually Bull.

Also, if you haven't seen them all yet, binge The Carol Burnett Show. It was probably the greatest sketch show ever, just a notch ahead of Monty Python.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bamachine said:

Night Court was one of my favorites as a teenager...maybe Markie's posts had something to do with that. Although, my favorite character was actually Bull.

Also, if you haven't seen them all yet, binge The Carol Burnett Show. It was probably the greatest sketch show ever, just a notch ahead of Monty Python.

Mama's Family used to be a big hit for me when I was a teenager. I never saw the actual Carol Brunett show, though.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep I watched Cheers all the way through about 4 years ago. It was a classic! I saw Rhea Pearlman was Louie's gf here on Taxi. Weren't they married in real life?

Yes. I believe they are divorced now.

12 minutes ago, Grippe said:

Throwing in a vote for Sanford & Son.

You big dummy.

19 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I am working my way through Cheers now as well. Holds up incredibly well. Also I am watching with a bit of a different perspective now as the first time I watched I was too young to be in a bar. Its is a commitment, 11 seasons with at least 22 episodes per season. 

21 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

I recommend "Man on the Moon", with Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman.  I have not seen it yet, but there is a Netflix documentary on my to-watch-list called "Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond" that is a behind-the-scenes look at Carrey's efforts to play Kaufman.  I don't know how to explain Carrey not getting at least an Oscar nomination for his work and can only attribute it to Hollywood not wanting to taking him seriously as an actor.

I never knew Kaufman's story before seeing the movie since I was so young when he died. He used to make me laugh on Taxi and my parents watched that. I caught it later in syndication and enjoyed it. The movie is so great. Carrey is awesome and so is Paul Giamatti.

It's cliche, I guess, but the episode where they show how Jim became Jim by eating one pot brownie at Harvard is utter genius.

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Mama's Family used to be a big hit for me when I was a teenager. I never saw the actual Carol Brunett show, though.

Mama's Family is a pimple on the ass of The Carol Burnett Show.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yoladu said:

i will second Night Court.

I will doubly second News Radio. The first 4 seasons are brilliant. Skip Season 5 with Phil Hartman.

The cast was so good, as well as the writing.

Phil Hartman, Joe Rogan, Andy Dick, Maura Tierney, Stephen Root, Dave Foley

Do you mean without Phil Hartman?

News Radio was fantastic.

16 hours ago, Dewey said:

In no order,

Cheers

Wings

Newhart

The Bob Newhart show

Wkrp

Hogans Heroes

Andy Griffin Show

Green Acres 

Anything with Bob Newhart is pure comic gold. An absolute genius. I think I'm off to Hulu right now to find some ...