Starting a nonprofit

Anyone have experience with starting a nonprofit organization?  I'm involved with a great looking into starting a nonprofit to help rebuild my town's downtown area.  Does anyone know what I would need to do in order to make the nonprofit legal?  How do I get it setup?  Any help would be much appreciated.

9 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

How big is your town? Can you try to get $ from any of the Main Street programs out there?

About 10,000.  We would be looking at programs like Main Street for grants as well as donations for local businesses and citizens.

Plenty of forms on the SoS website for setting up nonprofit corporations.  When I ran our local water ski club, I took the lawsuit waiting to happen structure and set it up as a nonprofit corporation.  My wife set up an nonprofit corporation arts alliance for our kids' elementary school.  Just paperwork, bank accounts, annual meetings, reports, and tax returns until you apply and receive tax free status on the federal level.  There's probably a few other things I have forgotten, but it's pretty easy.   

Depending on how much money you'll raise or expect to raise in the first three years will be the difference between a 1023-EZ or a full blown 1023. Don't forget to go back to the state after you get your 501(c)(3) letter to get exemption from franchise taxes.