The King (Netflix, King Henry V) Timothée Chalamet, Robert Pattinson, Ben Mendelsohn

atomheartbevo

• 2 months later...

I liked it a lot. It was slow but the good kind of slow. Timothée does a really good job delivering his lines; the dialogue in the film as a whole is good. Also, the battle at the end was badass—it had a little GOT “battle of the bastards” to it.  

My biggest complaint is that this was a movie and not a pilot for a series. The battle of Agincourt was glorious,  and for those who pay attention to these sorts of things, the style of fighting with armor and longswords was much more realistic than the typical Hollywood fare. Especially in the one on one duel towards the beginning they were trying to stick him with the pointy end more than pointlessly bashing plate armor with the edge.

15 hours ago, fellside said:

Joel Edgerton, the big burly warrior friend dude, wrote this.  That surprised me quite a bit.

That's Falstaff.  In the Henriad, he's a comedic character, a drunkenly, thieving coward who is young Hal's best friend and drinking buddy.  One of Shakespeare's greatest characters.  If played properly, he will bring you to tears with laughter.  That's why it was so weird to see him played serious. 

6 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

That's Falstaff.  In the Henriad, he's a comedic character, a drunkenly, thieving coward who is young Hal's best friend and drinking buddy.  One of Shakespeare's greatest characters.  If played properly, he will bring you to tears with laughter.  That's why it was so weird to see him played serious. 

Nm

Edited by fellside

It wasn’t supposed to be Shakespeare. It was a mytho-history inspired by the play.

Like others mentioned I found the battles and fights enjoyable and more realistic (heavy breathing and tired from the exertion) than most, and it went by at a great pace even with a mostly silent Henry. Wife watched it and even put down her phone.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Mendelsohn is so damned good. He creeps me out. But he basically played the dying, nonchalant, royal version of Danny Rayburn. 

Well,  that’s Henry IV. 

it is Shakespeare.  All the way.  It’s just Edgerton’s dark vision of it, instead of the Olivier/Branagh chipper “We happy few” Band of Brothers version.

Edited by Bateshorn