2018 St Louis Cardinals Thread of Incompetence

pops

41 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Love Waino. Hope he proves me wrong, but I would rather roll with Flaherty.

Yep. I don't know how you put that horse out to pasture, but his heart is better than his arm now. Dbacks are good, but still, waino isn't an ace anymore. 

Yeah, that was pathetic last night.  Walks 2, intentional walk to another to load the bases AND leaves Holland in.  What could possibly go wrong.  Matheny is a moron.

After the second batter you could tell that he did not have it. Should have been pulled.

7 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I miss the edge the team had with TLR and Chris Carpenter.  When you have a couple of wound-up ultra-competitive red asses leading the team, it permeates through the roster.  That's the biggest thing Matheny's teams miss, IMO.

Carp's 1-0 shutout against halladay might be my favorite baseball memory. Maybe game 6 against the rangers... But carp had to haul his balls off the field in a wheelbarrow that night. 

And I'd give oquendo a shot. 

I guess a trip to Cincinnati was just what the doctor ordered.  Now 9-7 and in 2nd place.  The Reds are horri-bad, but at least we beat their ass.  I feel like one of the biggest problems of the past several years is that we'd win series against good teams, but then dick around with and lose series to bad teams.

Went to Friday nights game, Wacha looked decent even if it was against the Reds. Bud Norris on the other hand looked like garbage and they got lucky he had a 3 run lead going in. There were fewer people in the seats at a Cards game than I can remember at any other games I’ve been to, but it was cold.

Nice couple of weekend series against the absolute worst in MLB.  Gotta win those, so they did what they needed to do.  Mets this week and then the Pirates over the weekend makes for an interesting test.  Hope they can keep it together.

As an aside:  Does anyone else here live in the STL area?  If so, do you listen to Bernie Miklasz?  Well, I guess you really don't have to live in the STL area, but I can't imagine anyone listening to Bernie unless you kind of have to.

Nice couple of weekend series against the absolute worst in MLB.  Gotta win those, so they did what they needed to do.  Mets this week and then the Pirates over the weekend makes for an interesting test.  Hope they can keep it together.
As an aside:  Does anyone else here live in the STL area?  If so, do you listen to Bernie Miklasz?  Well, I guess you really don't have to live in the STL area, but I can't imagine anyone listening to Bernie unless you kind of have to.

I have not listened to Bernie, but I have always been 50/50 with his work. He seems to have either a great point, or tried too hard to make something valid.

I agree that we have done what we need to do. You have to beat the Reds, and we have done so. No complaints. My hope is that Mikolas doesn’t look good for a month or so, and then everyone figures him out. We need him to hold things down this year, even if Flaherty or Reyes comes back to the bigs.

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, Bernie >>>>>> Kurt Bohls, so I miss Bernie.

Maybe Bernie was better in print.  He's no longer with the Post Dispatch.  He's on the morning show on 101.1.  His constant theme is to get Matheny fired.  Don't get me wrong, I think that Matheny is one of the worst managers in the game, but it gets really old listening to Bernie rail on it. 

Oh, he is on The Athletic now, so if you want to pay to read his tired stuff you can.

Yeah I liked Bernie's columns in the PD most of the time, but I don't listen to his podcast or radio show or whatever he's doing now.

The one I really miss is Joe Strauss. That guy was awesome.  His weekly chat's on the PD website were gold.

As for the Cards... yeah the Reds are terri-bad and all, but at least we're doing what we should against them.  It feels like one of the big problems the past few years is that the Cards would play pretty well against good teams but then dick around and go like.500 against the really bad teams.  If you're gonna be good and make the playoffs, the first thing you have to do is step on the throat of the bad teams.  We at least appear to be doing that this year... let's hope we can hold our own against the good teams.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:42 AM, You don't know me said:

Yeah, Cards were below .500 against the Reds last year.  Missed the playoffs by one game if I recall correctly.  A winning record against the Reds may have changed that.

Exactly.

It would be so frustrating to watch them do something like, say, win back-to-back series against the Nats and Dodgers... but then lose 3/4 to freaking Cincinnati or San Diego or someone like that.  I feel like that happened constantly last year.

Palpitation-inducing performance by Norris in the 9th against the Cubs last night, good thing we had a 3 run lead to work with. Mikolas has been nails this year. Painful to watch our first baseman in the field, seems to be good for two errors per week easy.