2018 St Louis Cardinals Thread of Incompetence

pops

Yadi out for a month after needing surgery to save his balls after getting hit in the balls by a ball.

Fuck. 

(Didn't click to page 2, T'Boo beat me to it)

Edited by pops
I'm dumb.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Maybe we don't suck...?

Nice to sweep the Cubs since they've been pushing our shit in for the better part of the past 3 seasons.

Saw a stat somewhere recently that in the last 100 played it was 50-50 and each team had scored something like 180 runs.  Crazy even.  

In the traditional sense a split against the Padres was good, but it was extremely disappointing to lose 2 this weekend after taking the first 2.  The offense just completely disappeared on Saturday and Sunday.  I think that Mabry is completely lost as a hitting coach.

It is also just becoming sad watching Waino.  How long does this go on?

Waino has to move to the pen. Flaherty is as ready as he will be, and I have feeling that Reyes will be good to start full time by July 1. Of course, if Waino’s elbow is injured, he might be out for the year which is the end.

We're getting a glimpse into what this club can be right now.  The starting rotation has so much potential.  Down the road, we could see:

Carlos Martinez

Alex Reyes

Luke Weaver

Jack Flaherty

And then plug in one more.

This rotation could be filthy.

The question is, what do they do about the dead weight?  Too many veterans not producing.  I do think that we'll see Carson Kelly getting moved this year.  Hopefully they can pull off a trade for a big bat in the infield.

And Hicks hitting 105 yesterday was unreal.  Not sure how the batters were even getting a piece of that.

I like Hicks, but man I hope his arm stays healthy. He throwing makes me wonder how long it will be before his needs TJ.

21 hours ago, You don't know me said:

We're getting a glimpse into what this club can be right now.  The starting rotation has so much potential.  Down the road, we could see:

Carlos Martinez

Alex Reyes

Luke Weaver

Jack Flaherty

And then plug in one more.

This rotation could be filthy.

The question is, what do they do about the dead weight?  Too many veterans not producing.  I do think that we'll see Carson Kelly getting moved this year.  Hopefully they can pull off a trade for a big bat in the infield.

And add Mikolas into the mix above.  That guy has been nails.  And Wacha has been good.

3 hours ago, Capn81 said:

I agree. The question is, who is left out of the five man?

I think you have to try to trade Wacha.  He's good right now, but he has been very inconsistent during his career.  He's got the nagging shoulder that will likely show up in late August.  I would hope that he can continue to be effective and then try to trade near the deadline.

• Like 2

I think you have to try to trade Wacha.  He's good right now, but he has been very inconsistent during his career.  He's got the nagging shoulder that will likely show up in late August.  I would hope that he can continue to be effective and then try to trade near the deadline.

Good call.

11 hours ago, You don't know me said:

Watching the game today on the Facebook Live crap.  Horrible broadcast.

Absolutely terrible. They don't even know who the players are. I hope that is an experiment that ends soon.  Didn't even have the option to watch it with my MLB.tv package. 

10 hours ago, pops said:

Absolutely terrible. They don't even know who the players are. I hope that is an experiment that ends soon.  Didn't even have the option to watch it with my MLB.tv package. 

It was like listening to some high school AV club doing the broadcast.  There was another Cards day game earlier this year that was on Facebook Live or whatever and it was equally as bad.

56 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I would have never believed you if you said Milaywaukay would be leading the NL at any point in the season.  

It's Algonquin ya know.  

The thing about the Brewers is that they will be good for a year or two and then fall back off to normal.  They are like the Royals/A's/(insert any other small market team) in that they can catch lightning in a bottle every couple of decades, but their windows of opportunity are very small.

Red passed away yesterday at 95.  Mr. Cardinal, Hall of Famer and good person by all accounts.  74 consecutive years in a baseball uniform.  He was involved in the organization until his death. 

Some of the players that he played with:

Joe Garagiola
Stan Musial
Enos Slaughter
Joe Medwick
Gene Mauch
Ken Boyer
Bill Virdon
Harry Brecheen
Bob Gibson
Tim McCarver
Curt Flood
Mike Shannon

Some players that he managed:

Steve Carlton
Bob Gibson
Tim McCarver
Bob Uecker
Lou Brock
Orlando Cepeda
Roger Maris
Ted Simmons
Al Hrabosky
Jose Cruz
Matty Alou
Joe Torre
Dal Maxvill
Bob Forsch
Keith Hernandez

Won 3 World Series as a player (1946, 1957, 1964), 1 as a manager (1968) and another as a coach (1982).  He was a 10 time all star.  Perhaps most impressive is that he was married once and it lasted for 52 years until his wife (Mary) passed away in 1999.

He will be missed.

Yeah, he got this team to play really well especially during the turbulent times of the 1960's when Gibson, Flood, and Brock (among other blacks) were constantly being told they might have to bunk elsewhere and taking all kinds of abuse on the road, and helping them to channel all of that justifiable anger into their games and producing a world series championships (and a second if Lolich didn't end up being Walter Johnson in Game 7 of the '68 series!).

Never mind that he was a damn good player (HoF of course), lifetime .289 and 10X All-Star.  RIP.

Edited by phdhorn

I’m in St Louis for work and got to stand up at Dewey’s pizza today during a crowded lunch time with the Cardinals playing and say “I hate the Cardinals they are horrible” and everyone just stared. It felt great after 2011 to have some catharsis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, limping into the All-Star break we have 5 games against 2 of the worst teams in baseball (White Sox & Reds).  I don't even want to put up a needed win total.  After the break we get 8 against the Cubs interrupted by 3 more against the Reds, so it's not like there isn't a gigantic opportunity staring this team in the face.  I fully expect them to fuck it up.

Even a wild card berth at this point looks unlikely.  

Edited by jimmyjazz

Yeah, it's beyond time to DFA both Holland and Fowler, but I doubt they do it.  I really can't even be pissed about the players' performance.  They are who they are.  I blame the front office for this shit.  It's pathetic watching them.  And Matheny just has a constant look of confusion on his face during the games.  And me?  I look like the Jacksonville Jaguars confused fan.

There's really nothing that they can or should do before the trade deadline.  What they need is a complete change over in the front office, along with shitcanning Matheny and Mabry.  There's got to be someone available to be the hitting coach that was better than a journeyman with a lifetime avg of .263 and 96 home runs.

Oh, but there is this:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-matheny-says-cardinals-will-play-better/c-284091712

Matheny anticipates improved play.  When is the front office going to DEMAND improved play and managerial decisions that aren't complete stupidity?  I heard someone on the radio a couple of weeks ago referring to Matheny as T-ball Mike.  Very appropriate nickname for him.