2018 St Louis Cardinals Thread of Incompetence

pops

I intentionally didn't say I thought we needed to take 4 of these 5 games before the break, but that's what I thought was necessary, just based on the level of competition.

So far they're 1-3.

Christ.  See ya', Matheny.  Thanks for the World Series title, it was magical, but you just couldn't sustain.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I intentionally didn't say I thought we needed to take 4 of these 5 games before the break, but that's what I thought was necessary, just based on the level of competition.

So far they're 1-3.

Christ.  See ya', Matheny.  Thanks for the World Series title, it was magical, but you just couldn't sustain.

Don't give that fraud more credit than he deserves. LaRussa won in 11. Matheny got them there in 13 but couldn't handle Boston. 

I've had the weekend to digest this and have really only got myself pissed off even more.  It was time for Matheny and his BFF to go, that's for sure.  The blame for the sorry state of this franchise should not be laid entirely at Matheny's feet, though.  This is the first time that this ownership group has fired a manager mid-season.  Think about that for a second.  I think that this is Mo and possibly Girsch going into preservation mode.  If the firing had waited until the end of the season, then Mo and Girsch would have likely been fired too.  However, since they did it now and named in interim manager, the people that are responsible for this clusterfuck of a roster have bought themselves at least another year.  If Shildt is somehow able to put the dumpster fire out (finish above .500 for the second half would be deemed a success by an interim manager), they they can say "see, the roster that we put together was good enough".  They will then look for a new manager and possibly make a run at Girardi.  If Shildt is not successful, then they'll simply point at him and say "he just wasn't ready".  If Shildt pulls a rabbit out of his hat, then they still retain their jobs and Shildt gets the interim tag pulled.

Mo at a minimum and possibly Girsch should have been shitcanned along with Matheny and his BFF.  The timing of this just reeks of self-preservation.

• Like 2

I tend to agree that the front office is showing signs of dementia.  I fear this is the end of the run for this franchise.  (I know, it's not like they've been getting to the postseason or anything.)  The type of change needed at this point is nearly wholesale, top down.

Just look at some of the statements made by the front office regarding the alleged feud between Hicks and Norris.  "Ineffectual leadership" doesn't begin to describe it.

I don't think that we're looking at anything quite as bad as the 70s.  The farm system is actually very solid.  They are stacked with arms.  I think that they just need to build a team for defense and pitching rather than going out and trying to get a bunch of hitters.  The problem is that they have shitty defense.  Hell, what do I know.  Maybe we are heading into a 70s type run.

41 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

I don't think that we're looking at anything quite as bad as the 70s.  The farm system is actually very solid.  They are stacked with arms.  I think that they just need to build a team for defense and pitching rather than going out and trying to get a bunch of hitters.  The problem is that they have shitty defense.  Hell, what do I know.  Maybe we are heading into a 70s type run.

Yeah agreed.  The farm system is very solid and there is too much talent/assets to get like a 70s type swoon or even like a late 80s/early 90s swoon when the Buschs stopped caring before DeWitt took over and hired TLR.

The very fact that they are getting rid of a manager that has a better winning % as a Cardinal than either TLR or Whitey (true!) shows that ownership/management is engaged and knows the team/organization is capable of more.  Hell it's not like the wheels have completely come off... look at the Mets this year or like the Giants last year... the situation isn't anywhere near something like that.

Matheny is a good manager... he's just not a championship manager.

They fucked up when they didn't hire maddon when they hired matheny. It would have taken a cold beer and a shiny nickle to get him out of Tampa to come home to his childhood team. 

I don't think we are looking at a 70s or 90s malaise because there is talent in the pipeline but DeWitt needs to decide if he wants another ring or if he's happy just making gobs of money off one of the most loyal fanbases in the game. 

On 7/16/2018 at 11:04 PM, pops said:

They fucked up when they didn't hire maddon when they hired matheny. It would have taken a cold beer and a shiny nickle to get him out of Tampa to come home to his childhood team. 

I don't think we are looking at a 70s or 90s malaise because there is talent in the pipeline but DeWitt needs to decide if he wants another ring or if he's happy just making gobs of money off one of the most loyal fanbases in the game. 

Actually I think the fuck up was not hiring Terry Francona. IIRC, he actually did interview for the job, and it came down to him and Matheny and they chose Matheny. 

I don't recall Maddon ever being in the running/being considered, although in hindsight he certainly should have been.

• Like 1

I don't think you take away a guy's shot at a no hitter through seven. Pitch count be damned.  Deserve to lose. 
Yeah, I am pretty much with you. I also would add that a major league debut only happens one time for a player. I would have left him in. That being said, I wasn't watching the game so I don't know how he was looking at that point. I did hear this morning that he was laboring in the 6th and 7th innings.

2 hours ago, Capn81 said:

I am not sure that I understand the moves yesterday. It seems like we got a lot of average minor leaguers yesterday, so I am not sure how this bolstered us today or in the future.

Scary thing is, I don't think Mo knows either. It's like they just made a move to make a move. 

Really feels like DeWitt is just printing money and until things get really bad he doesn't give a shit. 

I totally get the Pham move.  He's 30 and heading into an arbitration year next off season.  He was really the only outfielder with any trade value at all besides Bader and O'Neill, and I wouldn't want to get rid of either of them.  I think they have like 5 rookies that they brought up into the bullpen, so they had to replenish the minor pitching staffs. 

So, Pham leaving gets some pitchers that they need in the minors and it gets O'Neill up to STL.  Makes sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 11:01 AM, pops said:

Mind bottling how much better essentially the same group of guys are playing since the manager switch. Fuck you matheny. 

Yep.

Best record in baseball since the switch.  It's funny how having a consistent lineup and playing the best players instead of the ones that you personally like the most can make a team better.

Oh and also understanding how to actually use a bullpen.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yep.

Best record in baseball since the switch.  It's funny how having a consistent lineup and playing the best players instead of the ones that you personally like the most can make a team better.

Oh and also understanding how to actually use a bullpen.

Last night was a perfect example.  Matheny would have fucked up the bellpen so badly in that situation. No way he manages the team to a win. 

• Like 1

Yep, seems like my giving up on them earlier this year could be a healthy serving of crow.

I'm ready to wolf some down. Nice to see them play like this, even if odds are long that they would get too far in the playoffs. But they're hot now, so who knows?

Edited by phdhorn