Big Tex Food Finalists and Awards

TXSooner518

My favorite moment of the offseason has come and gone - the announcement of the new Big Tex foods, finalists, and winners!

https://bigtex.com/plan-your-visit/food/big-tex-choice-awards/

They all look pretty intriguing to me, not sure I wanna chance State Fair shrimp, but the taco cone looks elite (and won best taste - savory), and the Big Red Bread has great potential IMO (and won best taste - sweet). 

Wish we got full descriptions of the semi-finalists as well, the Texas Fried Frito Pie Burrito Dog and Fried Southern Bourbon Bread Pudding sound promising!

LFG

Vid of Daniel Vaughn and DMN food reporter trying the finalists: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm definitely hitting up Fernie's.  They always have great stuff.

Will be getting a Fletchers or two.  Then over to Fernie's for that burnt ends burrito and one of their fried grilled cheeses, which has become another tradition for me.

I usually grab some of those fried Wisconsin cheese curds at the stand just inside the International archway. 

I don't usually seek out the sweet stuff.  But I might be tempted to try that Big Red bread.  I better not eat at all this week in preparation.

• Like 1

Anyone tried the Big Red Chicken Bread at Smokey John's BBQ yet?

I'm trying to locate some different options on the map.  I'm interested in the burnt ends, boudin egg roll, Big Red bread, deep fried potato salad, and arroz con leche from last year (anyone try that?).  And Fletcher's, of course.

Anyone tried the Big Red Chicken Bread at Smokey John's BBQ yet?
I'm trying to locate some different options on the map.  I'm interested in the burnt ends, boudin egg roll, Big Red bread, deep fried potato salad, and arroz con leche from last year (anyone try that?).  And Fletcher's, of course.

Potato salad is at Pearlies on the Midway. Burnt end burrito at the Dock in the Embarcadero, boudin rolls at Taste of NOLA in food court. Arroz con Leche in the food court. I had it last year, liked it didn’t love it. Thought description sounded fantastic.
  • Like 1

This is thread I was looking for... Sooner we have already discussed my plan of action on thursday.. The wife (no pics) went today with her work and had the Cream Corn Casserole balls (14 tickets) which was really good. She also had the crab cake balls ALSO by Clint Propst, funny enough she didn't care for it had too much crab for her.. everyone else loved it but it's another 30 ticket item. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

Glad to hear the cream corn casserole were good, they are high on my list! The Cajun crab bombs I was likely skipping. Would try one for free but combo of the high cost, Fair seafood, and my wife doesn’t do seafood so I’m committing more stomach room, nah.

Evidently not the same Crab bombs. Clint submitted these also this year and came in 11th place.. so just missed it. In case you were confusing them. 

I'm looking through the prior years trying to remember if there is anything I should be looking at.. not likely though as I'm over 130 coupons already. 

Verdict?

Not bad. The outside was super hot and crunchy but the flour tortilla was not fried through. Inside of tortilla was still doughy. The brisket was okay, not super memorable though.

Would eat again for $6, not $15. That said it is a lot of food by fair standards. Shared with wife and daughter (no pics today but have posted both before).

On 10/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, msudawg said:

Evidently not the same Crab bombs. Clint submitted these also this year and came in 11th place.. so just missed it. In case you were confusing them. 

I'm looking through the prior years trying to remember if there is anything I should be looking at.. not likely though as I'm over 130 coupons already. 

FYI I was wrong.. Clint's was indeed called Cajun Crab Bombs. Skipped them.

Recap.. FUCK I spent more than ever. 

2 J jalapenos and cheese Fletcher corn dogs to start... It's my tradition. Love them. One of the first sold of the day as we got there by 945

Next. Clint's cream corn casserole. Ok, guys.. there is a difference between gourmet food and fair food. This was good but likely not memorable for me. The batter is nothing but like a hushpuppy with a lot of corn added. then make sure you mix up the dipping sauce. I dipped in the first time and was like.. creamed corn on corn.. meh... then mixing it up you get the cheese flavor which helped. I told my wife, I want to steal the basic recipe.. add some jalapenos to it and would make it a LOT better. 

Burnt ends had a crazy line so we skipped it.. were going back later.. but after you spend somewhere over 150 tickets.. you draw the damn line. 

Next was the stuffed taco cone.. Pretty tasty.. don't try to share it though... just messy of course. good flavor though. If you didn't know though beware.. very little meat, mostly rice and beans. 

and then I diverted off the fried goodness path.. the fried foods weren't filling me. So we went for a xl turkey leg instead.. and that did the job for a bit. 

Not to mention we did 3 of the 4 celebrity chef kitchens. The ritz carlton was awesome..lamb chop with roasted carrot sauce and pomegranate sauce with lime zest..and they didn't overcook it.. soooo good. 

After the turkey, we just didnt't want to do another 30 tickets for the burrito or even the mango dessert. So we grabbed our pineapple dole whip and over to craft and growler it was while the rain drove in. 

If the burrito is that good.. ill grab it next year. 

The barrage of gluttony this year was amazing. It helped given we had 5 of us. What I had/tried with reviews:

Fletchers Corny Dog - duhhhh

Fried Butter - every year breakfast staple for us. Cinnamon sugar/honey by far the best.

Flamango Tango - first new item we tried. Really really good! Def on the comeback list. Sweet without being overpowering.

Fried Frito Pie Bites - also a near-every-year for us. So good!

Big Red Chicken Bread - I liked but didn’t love. Hassle to eat a wing while walking around and carrying a donut and beverage. Would eat for free, won’t buy again.

Southern Fried Bourbon Bread Pudding - inside was a bit mushy (I mean it’s bread pudding), crust and sauce were really good

Fried Chicken Skin - this was basically chicken pork rinds. Got a HUGE pile for the 12 coopins. Would only recommend as a sharer, otherwise you will be full and need water badly.

Cowboy Corn Crunch - wanted to try when it was new but never did. This was great! Corn, jalapeño and bacon flavors perfectly balance.

Fried Cuban Roll - another item at Magnolia that I wanted to try when new but didn’t. And it was also fantastic! Magnolia also has the Fried Bluebonnet which we didn’t get this year but did a few back and it is also tremendous. Will be hitting Magnolia more often!

Cream Corn Casserole Fritters - another large portion for the cost. Can’t imagine eating all 4 of these solo. The breading is really good, like a hush puppy made of Fletchers batter, with great crunch. Not enough filling though. Was happy to eat one, but that was enough.

Burnt End Burrito - this thing was great. Costly at $15 but solid portion and above expectations IMO. The onion rings were straight out of the fryer and really good rings honestly, nice and crunchy. Mostly pitched the rings bc we were near the end of the night and wanted to try a few more things, not get full on onion rings but they were good.

Sweet Bakin Bacon - introduced last year, the bacon wrapped fried Twinkie is delish, def recommend!

Cherish Erbert Champagne - got this last year as well, its a frozen cherry booze concoction. Awesome for anyone who likes sweet drinks, or to cool down on the hot day.

Chicken Cordon Bleu Stuffed Waffle - I liked it pretty well, but wouldn’t pay again. The wife liked it a lot. I didn’t think the sauce complemented the rest of it.

Fried Black Gold Truffles - delicious but super rich. Another item that is just made for sharing. One truffle was just right.

Corn Dog Ale - guy I was with got it, and I tried a sip. The beer is actually pretty good!  I don't have any use for the mustard rim though. 

Pictures below speak for themselves, too busy/distracted/drunk/etc. to get pics of all. The chicken skin pic, more than half of them are gone already. 

0bb43b100552b16f13c49f030e22927b.jpgaf3c0f3ea1c543979b6c7d01ac32bb26.jpg91764327bf870df2dba7a20ef1c7ea55.jpg0195e1425802305b728de5378378cb08.jpgbc46a84bd43f815f374485463ce141a0.jpg3a326ea0262d4e47f32118cd5b54f5d5.jpg7c726338cc8a33d1cc54a655297424b6.jpg

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, WBT said:

The goddamn lines after the game were out of control.  It seemed worse than usual.  I didn't end up trying half of what I wanted.

The lines are always worse when the sooners win.  When they lose, the toothless hordes climb back into their homes immediately after the game and drive them back to Oklahoma.  But when they win, they stick around.  Texas fans stick around regardless, so the vendors actually prefer a sooner win, they make more money.

Edited by utee94

16 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Boudin egg rolls
Really good!
d5d00ddd67b7635fedeb69751b3cc47d.jpg
Sriracha balls
Fucking great!!
ceb3afa1a8324942a4fc8c65dfae5c0f.jpg

Both in the food building by Big Tex

Damn.  I’m sorry I missed these this year.  Both in the food court? 

I think I did drink $60 worth of fair tickets of beer, so I’ve got that going for me.  

Look.....Ceedee just scored again...

I had the boudin egg rolls and thought they were a giant meh. Part of it may be that I ordered them at 8am and I think I might have had yesterday's egg rolls that had been under a warming lamp all night. But it was bland boudin packed loosely inside of a standard restaurant egg roll. BFD.

Hey @utee94 What's it like in the RV parking at the fair? We have kicked around the idea of doing that some year. How late does the party run out there?

On 10/16/2019 at 3:15 PM, TornACL said:

Hey @utee94 What's it like in the RV parking at the fair? We have kicked around the idea of doing that some year. How late does the party run out there?

Depends on the year/weather/weekend/moon phase.  Friday night is typically bigger than Saturday, because after the game half the folks are sad/drunk/despondent/checked-out/dead.  

Some years we've been there and the Friday night party has raged late into the night, 2-3 AM.  Other years it's oddly quiet, but there are usually pockets of folks partying late even if the rest of the place is quiet.  Like  most, we have some longstanding rituals on Friday night so we always go to the same place to eat dinner, then often go out and do a little bar-hopping, then head back to the RV.

And a few years back they opened it up to Thursday night arrivals which is what we do, Thursday is usually pretty quiet but it gives us all day Friday at the Fair with the kiddos, with short lines and less dumbassery than you see on gameday.