Texas 2020 general election

Nice Guy Eddie

Just a reminder to go out and vote for Sarah Eckhardt or Eddie Rodriguez for the empty state senate seat. Former Austin city council member Zimmerman is also running and he is batshit crazy. It would be a huge self inflicted gunshot wound if we weren't paying close enough attention and lost a state senate seat going into redistricting.

23 hours ago, Pasken said:

Just a reminder to go out and vote for Sarah Eckhardt or Eddie Rodriguez for the empty state senate seat. Former Austin city council member Zimmerman is also running and he is batshit crazy. It would be a huge self inflicted gunshot wound if we weren't paying close enough attention and lost a state senate seat going into redistricting.

Isn't Zimmerman Fitlump's mentor? 

On 7/10/2020 at 3:12 PM, Pasken said:

Don Zimmerman is not batshit crazy.  Relax, Sally.  Vote, as I have, for Eddie Rodriguez.  He will be headed to a runoff with Eckhardt and I will post fundraising details for Eddie on this thread/site.  This is going to work out fine if people listen to the adults.  

Having said that, Morrow is fucking insane.  Like, legit insane. 

Cross-paraphrasing from 2020 Presidential election thread:

New UT Tyler poll of likely voters in late June/ early July:

Biden +5, 48-43

Abbot approve/disapprove: 55-32

Abbott COVID response approval: 49-40

Generic statehouse ballot: 52-47 Democratic

Cornyn vs Hegar/West: 42-29, 43-28

Hegar vs West: 35-22, 32 percent undecided. 11 percent other????

On 6/29/2020 at 10:50 AM, Pancho said:

What will it take to get Kathaleen Wall's racist ads off my tv?

Holy shit.  I surfed my local news stations last night (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) for the 10pm news (9pm for FOX).  I think Wall's campaign is single handedly funding the nightly news on all stations right now.  The commercials are so comically terrible.  Insulting.

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2020 at 10:01 AM, gmr548 said:

Cross-paraphrasing from 2020 Presidential election thread:

New UT Tyler poll of likely voters in late June/ early July:

Biden +5, 48-43

Abbot approve/disapprove: 55-32

Abbott COVID response approval: 49-40

Generic statehouse ballot: 52-47 Democratic

Cornyn vs Hegar/West: 42-29, 43-28

Hegar vs West: 35-22, 32 percent undecided. 11 percent other????

Holy shit. This state.

• Like 1

I’m not sure which thread to put this in, but I saw that Texas driver’s license offices are back open today on the news.

does that mean hopefully young people are getting registered to vote at the same time?

I doubt it because voting is clearly not a priority or even encouraged in this state, but I still had to ask to be sure.

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I’m not sure which thread to put this in, but I saw that Texas driver’s license offices are back open today on the news.

does that mean hopefully young people are getting registered to vote at the same time?

I doubt it because voting is clearly not a priority or even encouraged in this state, but I still had to ask to be sure.

Yeah my renewal notice came last week and specifically says I'm not eligible for online renewal.  Seems not smart.

12 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah my renewal notice came last week and specifically says I'm not eligible for online renewal.  Seems not smart.

I got you, fam - 

DRIVER LICENSE EXTENSION
In accordance with section 418.016 of the Texas Government Code, the Office of the Governor approved DPS' request to suspend provisions of the Texas Transportation Code to the extent necessary to delay the expiration of Texas DL/CDL/ID/EIC cards. This means that if your Texas DL/CDL/ID/EIC card expires on or after March 13, 2020, it falls under the period that encompasses the State of Disaster Declaration related to COVID-19 and will remain valid for 60 days after which time DPS issues public notice that the extension period for this disaster declaration has been lifted.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/director_staff/media_and_communications/pr/2020/0319a

And you can check in here to make sure that the COVID-19 Disaster Declaration is still in effect:

https://gov.texas.gov/news/category/proclamation

Short version - you have up to 60 days after the Disaster Declaration to renew your license. 

Of course, what are the odds that the declaration expires 65 days before the election in November so that all us city folk have to risk catching the 'Rona at absolutely packed DPS locations to have proper ID to vote?  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gap03 said:

I got you, fam - 

https://www.dps.texas.gov/director_staff/media_and_communications/pr/2020/0319a

And you can check in here to make sure that the COVID-19 Disaster Declaration is still in effect:

https://gov.texas.gov/news/category/proclamation

Short version - you have up to 60 days after the Disaster Declaration to renew your license. 

Of course, what are the odds that the declaration expires 65 days before the election in November so that all us city folk have to risk catching the 'Rona at absolutely packed DPS locations to have proper ID to vote?  

Dan Patrick has already planned for it. I can guarantee you.

TX-24 Republican candidate, Beth Van Duyne, has been paying herself through her campaign funds. Her two kids are 20 and 18. She recently had a job in HUD in the Trump administration. You may vaguely remember her from trying to make the “Conservative Squad” a thing, or from her time as mayor of Irving by pressuring for an Anti Sharia-law city council resolution. She pushed that Ahmed Mohamed was part of a terrorist plot (the “terrorist school clock”)

Candace Valenzuela is her opponent.

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in years, Texas Democrats running for the U.S. House have more campaign cash than Republicans

Midway through 2016, Texas Republicans had $20.9 million more for their U.S. House campaigns than Democrats. This year, Democrats have a $7.5 million advantage.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/27/texas-democrats-congress-election/

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i would love to see Roger Williams gone.

This stupid gerrymandered district was designed to field a GOP candidate whose only ask is to have a pulse.

...and Coach Wacker burst in the door, shouting, "close enough!"

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Early voting in Texas extended....

Governor Abbott Extends Early Voting Period For November 3rd Election

AUSTIN - Governor Greg Abbott today issued a Proclamation extending the early voting period for the November 3rd Election by nearly a week. Under this proclamation, early voting by personal appearance will begin on Tuesday, October 13, 2020, and continue through Friday, October 30, 2020. The proclamation also expands the period in which marked mail-in ballots may be delivered in person to the early voting clerk’s office, allowing such delivery prior to as well as on Election Day.

"As we respond to COVID-19, the State of Texas is focused on strategies that preserve Texans’ ability to vote in a way that also mitigates the spread of the virus," said Governor Abbott. "By extending the early voting period and expanding the period in which mail-in ballots can be hand-delivered, Texans will have greater flexibility to cast their ballots, while at the same time protecting themselves and others from COVID-19."

View the Governor's Proclamation.

We've got about a week of additional time.....now, let's make the damned turnout happen.

• Hook 'Em 3

I can’t even imagine that. 

do you guys have any vote by mail?

Yes but you have to get it notarized aor have it witnessed or signed and by two other registered voters.

It has to be postmarked three days prior to Election Day and must be received by noon on Election Day. So if the mail gets delivered to the Board of Elections at 2:00 PM? Tough titty, your ballot gets thrown out.

And the process to even request an absentee ballot? A complicated mess designed for mistakes and thus denials.

To obtain an absentee ballot, write or visit the local Absentee Election Manager (usually the Circuit Clerk), request an absentee ballot, and provide the following:

-name and residential address (or other such information in order to verify voter registration)

-a copy of your valid photo identification

election for which the ballot is requested

reason for absence from polls on election day

-party choice, if the election is a party primary. (It is not necessary to give a party choice for a general election; however, in a party primary a voter may participate in only one political party's primary; thus a choice must be designated so that the appropriate ballot can be provided. If the voter declines or fails to designate a choice for a primary or primary runoff ballot, the absentee election manager may send only the ballot for constitutional amendments.)

-address to which the ballot should be mailed

-voter signature (If a mark is made in place of a signature, it must be witnessed)

Upon receiving the absentee ballot application, the Absentee Election Manager may request additional evidence on the reason for voting absentee if the voter has a history of absentee voting. The absentee ballot applications must turned in no later than the fifth calendar day before the election.

In conclusion, it’s pretty much impossible.

In 2016, only 4% of 2,137,452 ballots cast were absentee ballots.

29 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:
  • “Texas is 22 [expletive] media markets,” said one Biden adviser. “That is never going to happen. It’s just not going to happen. Everyone knows that. I don’t know why people are still even talking about it.”

From wapo

Context, poe favor?

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Context, poe favor?

Just the morning update.  mostly contextless.  Weird seeing stuff like that as though the campaign is unaware of the effect on downballot stuff and given quality polls showing it’s winnable.  They want 270 votes. Don’t care about 271. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

So they’re saying they won’t spend in Texas despite having as much or more money than Trump? Even to make him spend? That’s...I get it but kinda disappointing. 271 isn’t a blue wave. 

I bet we will see them spend in Arizona , rust belt states, Florida and maybe Georgia.

they were complaining about Texas because to effectively campaign here you gotta reach 26 different media markets. Other states are easier to deal with. Just the reality of the situation.

Edited by Voldemort86

4 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

There might be 22 markets but you only need to focus on 6 or 7 counties to run up numbers.

that's a good point. every town under 10k is a lost cause, so save money on everything more than 100 miles from I-35/45.  In order, I'd pay money to (1) get SA to vote; (2) convince people in DFW/Houston; (3) get El Paso to vote; (4) convince the Austin exurbs. 

Texas is 22 media markets? WTF. How exactly are the defining a “media market?” Texas isn’t as big as China. I mean the state is overall expensive but only 4 media markets are actually expensive. You can advertise in the panhandle to your hearts content for nothing if you want to. But why would you bother? 

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Texas is 22 media markets? WTF. How exactly are the defining a “media market?” Texas isn’t as big as China. I mean the state is overall expensive but only 4 media markets are actually expensive. You can advertise in the panhandle to your hearts content for nothing if you want to. But why would you bother? 

checks out.

http://bl.ocks.org/simzou/6459889