Texas 2020 general election

Nice Guy Eddie

Anyone have suggestions for down ballot democrats that aren't batshit crazy (i.e., Bernie supporters)?  MJ Hegar seems cool although I'll freely admit I'm not informed at all about anyone outside of president.  I'll hang up and listen.  Edit:  I'm in Dallas

Edited by Skipper

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Anyone have suggestions for down ballot democrats that aren't batshit crazy (i.e., Bernie supporters)?  MJ Hegar seems cool although I'll freely admit I'm not informed at all about anyone outside of president.  I'll hang up and listen.

Supreme Court races: vote Meachum, Cheng, Voss, Triana.  

• Like 4

I'm not sure which thread to put this in. Lots of poll workers didn't show up today in Travis County causing long lines.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200303/coronavirus-fears-causing-chaos-at-travis-polls-county-clerk-says?utm_source=SND&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=statesman

The Travis County clerk’s office said fears of catching the new coronavirus are causing mass chaos at voting locations across the county at the start of Super Tuesday.

Travis County Clerk Dana DeBeauvoir said 11 people, including judges who were responsible for opening some of the 175 polling locations across the county Tuesday, did not show up for work out of fear of catching the new coronavirus. DeBeauvoir said this was on top of the 31 judges who also said last week they would not come to operate the polls out of fear of catching the virus or another sickness.

“A significant number of election judges called up and said they quit,” DeBeauvoir said. “They had a variety of excuses. They just decided they did not want to do this and decided the news was scaring them, so last night we were on the phone with the parties trying to get more workers.”

DeBeauvoir said it usually takes six, but no less than three, judges and poll workers to operate just one polling location. The county clerk’s Office worked all morning to find replacements, however, while they were doing so other workers were also abandoning their posts once they realized there were not enough workers to open for voting.

As of 9 a.m. Tuesday, DeBeauvoir said Travis County had 164 vacancies after using up all of its emergency backup workers. However, all of the polling locations were now back open and running, according to the county clerk.

As far as wait times, DeBeauvoir said she had no idea how long it was taking for someone to cast their vote.

MAP: Click here to see wait times at Travis County polling places.

“The elections will go on,” DeBeauvoir said. “They always do.”

The county clerk said she now believes the new coronavirus, which has become a global health crisis with at least 10 people quarantined in Texas, is being used to disrupt the 2020 primary election.

“Nothing like this has ever happened before ... Fortunately, we have backup plans,” she said.

39 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Anyone have suggestions for down ballot democrats that aren't batshit crazy (i.e., Bernie supporters)?  MJ Hegar seems cool although I'll freely admit I'm not informed at all about anyone outside of president.  I'll hang up and listen.  Edit:  I'm in Dallas

Yes, Hegar.

47 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Royce West is by far the most qualified for the job and would probably do the best job. Who knows how that translates to the general. MJ raises the most money.

^
i am surprised by that.  Are there that many Texans that are just so giddy to do an exhibition vote for Trump?   We don’t have many marquee GOP primaries except for Supreme Court.  Curious as to what’s serving they turnout.  

I live in a little blue area inside of a larger red part of town inside of blue Austin.  Everybody at my polling place, including me, asked for D ballots. /csb

then again, I can completely empathize with voters who want to wait a bit to see which POTUS candidate they want to back.  Particularly given the Last debate.  I’m already second guessing my choice.  L

Doesn’t Corny have a legit challenge?

And there are a couple of house primaries like TX07.

Lots of polling place volunteers didn’t come in today due to coronavirus fears.  Which is understandable given their median age.  wait times are now triple the usual at many locations.  Many, not most.  Not all.

i think it will have an influence on today.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Lots of polling place volunteers didn’t come in today due to coronavirus fears.  Which is understandable given their median age.  wait times are now triple the usual at many locations.  Many, not most.  Not all.

It sucks because trump and his band of dingleberries will crow about low turnout numbers while conveniently ignoring that coronavirus is a factor, then if the coronavirus dissipates in a few months because of the warm weather,  trump will praise Pence for a month straight and talk about how awesome his administration is.

the guy really does have mental problems and I wouldn’t be sad at all if he got coronavirus.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm still shocked at the amount of people that don't vote early.  I went in to ACC Highland last Saturday at like 11am and was literally the only person there.

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm still shocked at the amount of people that don't vote early.  I went in to ACC Highland last Saturday at like 11am and was literally the only person there.

I didn’t vote early because I wanted to see who was still standing today.

I will be voting on the first day of early voting in the general. I suspect a lot of people were like that.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 4:41 PM, Brisketexan said:

Sure -- for Texas Supreme Court, in order of the seats they're running for, I recommend:

Amy Meachum

Kathy Cheng

Brandy Voss

Gisela Triana

Third Court of Appeals, if you're in Central Texas, there's just one seat up, I recommend Darlene Byrne.

As for your district court races, it depends where you are.  In Travis County, I recommend (in races that are contested, of course):

53rd Kennon Wooten (Maria Cantu Hexsel is also a good choice, I just lean Kennon's way)

167th David Wahlberg

200th Jessica Mangrum

353rd Tim Sulak (this one is actually REALLY important -- his opponent is bad news, and Sulak is one of our best judges)

390th Julie Kocurek

Thanks again, these all,checked out when I looked them up.   Hate that Sulak lost.  

59 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Thanks again, these all,checked out when I looked them up.   Hate that Sulak lost.  

TOTAL.  FUCKING.  NIGHTMARE.

"Vexatious Litigant" Connor vs. incumbent Judge Sulak in Dem primary

Perhaps the oddest Democratic primary judicial race is that for the 353rd District Court, where popular incumbent Judge Tim Sulak faces repeated stealth Republican Madeleine Connor. Connor – who insists she is “nonpartisan” as well as judicious – has also been officially declared a “vexatious litigant” in two different courts.

Attorney Madeleine Connor (l) and Judge Tim Sulak

As we reported earlier (“Election Ticker: Marching Toward 2020,” Dec. 27), Connor (currently general counsel for the Texas Veterans Commission) has twice (2018 and 2019) been designated a “vexatious litigant” by different judges, for aggressively pursuing lawsuits pro se (on her own behalf) that have been repeatedly ruled meritless. (Under those rulings, she must obtain direct judicial permission before filing similar legal actions anywhere in Texas.) 

Oh, there's plenty of details on those, but seriously -- we just elected, as a judge, for the next FOUR YEARS....someone who has been sanctioned, TWICE, for vexatious litigation activities.  She couldn't even APPEAR in the court as a party without getting permission to file a suit....and now she's going to sit on that court's bench.

Litigating in Travis County is going to be a minefield for the next four years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

TOTAL.  FUCKING.  NIGHTMARE.

Oh, there's plenty of details on those, but seriously -- we just elected, as a judge, for the next FOUR YEARS....someone who has been sanctioned, TWICE, for vexatious litigation activities.  She couldn't even APPEAR in the court as a party without getting permission to file a suit....and now she's going to sit on that court's bench.

Litigating in Travis County is going to be a minefield for the next four years.

Furk.  So she ran as a D to oust him in the primary?

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Furk.  So she ran as a D to oust him in the primary?

Yep.  And I have some thoughts on a phenomenon we saw in Travis County last night -- not a single male candidate in any local race won.  Not.  One.

Women showed up. They are pissed (can't blame them, by the way).  And in races where they didn't have specific information (judicial races usually fall in that bucket), they opted for the female over the male.  There is NO policy-based or political explanation for Sulak's defeat -- he has never invited any material controversy (other than pissing off one side or another in a case before him), no scandal, no nothing.  There was ZERO reason to vote against him.  In fact, he is one of the best-rated judges in Travis County according to all sides of the bar -- he is a great judge.  But yesterday, he didn't have ovaries, and that cost him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Voted for CTR because I was mainly voting for who I wanted to see in a runoff. I wouldn't be disappointed with West either, should that result hold.

CTR is about 1,500 votes ahead of West with 5154 of 5212 Polling Locations Reporting.  

Kathleen Wall's commercials are a fucking beating. 
The one ad I saw for her made me think she was running for sheriff, since it was all about Ed Gonzalez. Nope, she's running for TX22. Two years ago she ran for TX2. Where the fuck does she live?

10 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Looks like my friend Donna Imam who is running in TX31 as a (D) made it through some of the gauntlet of 7 (D)'s running in the primary to land in the top 2 for a runoff vs. Christine Eday Mann.  You can learn more about Donna's campaign here: votefordonna.com

I voted for Donna and have been impressed with her message and engagement on social media. Her quick tv AD looked robotic imo. Hopefully she wins and works this out because carter always has effective ads. He’s always in a cowboy hat with a truck not doing a damn thing while optimistic music plays in the background. He’s such a senile old fuck. 

@Brisketexan or whoever has thoughts. 

So I am curious how the campaigns for the district courts operate.  I spend most of my time in West Austin/Bee Cave/Lakeway and saw nothing but Kennon Wooten and Tim Sulak signs everywhere (as an example).  I didn't see many Cantu-Hexsel or Madeleine Connor signs at all, nor did I really see much about them in social media, from attorneys recommending them etc.  Both Kennon and Tim lost (although perhaps Tim's race close enough that they are still counting), so the Connor/Cantu-Hexsel campaigns were working somewhere.

Do the district court candidates just pick the locations that they think will get the best turnout, such that if I drove to Cedar Park or Round Rock or East Austin I'd see Connor and Cantu-Hexsel signs and not Wooten or Sulak signs?   Those two races were very surprising outcomes to me (especially Sulak), and it was a tough loss for Kennon who was an acquaintance back in school.  She has the demeanor and knowledge of jurisprudence to be on Texas Supreme Court one day.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

Great night for Joe Biden here but the thing I fount most interesting is that the GOP cast 2,000,541 votes vs Dems 1,620,224 vote total.  Lot of Ground to make up for the Dems from a total perspective, in the General if they want to take Texas. General in 2016 went 4,685,047 for Trump and 3,877,868 for Clinton.  

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Great night for Joe Biden here but the thing I fount most interesting is that the GOP cast 2,000,541 votes vs Dems 1,620,224 vote total.  Lot of Ground to make up for the Dems from a total perspective, in the General if they want to take Texas. General in 2016 went 4,685,047 for Trump and 3,877,868 for Clinton.  

I know others think different but I still don't see Texas going blue yet. It's moving in that direction but it takes a lot to switch. Texas has barely moved into purple category from previous elections.

Was interesting that Trump did not get 6% of the GOP vote in Texas yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Yeah, D's might win some down ballot, but if any had illusions about Trump/Cornyn, I think those were put to rest.

3 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Not very encouraging. Hoping to see a couple of things in the general election:

1. Republicans have a bunch of olds that vote in every election, including dog catcher. Dems want a shot to take trump out and will show up when he’s on the ballot against a dem.

2. This primary was weird and fragmented with nobody starting any type of movement. Hopefully Biden will be riding a wave of anti trump momentum into the general.

3. It’s going to be tough because trumps people WILL show up.

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Yeah, D's might win some down ballot, but if any had illusions about Trump/Cornyn, I think those were put to rest.

I wouldn't be so quick to believe concerns should be "put to rest.  Six percent of the GOP did not vote for Trump and and Democratic enthusiasm last go round was not that great. Comey being a huge same day voting factor. This go round you are going to have a struggling economy, us hopefully digging out of a botched handing of the Coronavirus by the Trump administration, and likely more intensity on the Dem side than the GOP side.  I would not be at all comfortable if I was Republican right now.  Going forward it's going to get a LOT tougher for Donald to deflect and try to avoid responsibility for the botched handling of the Coronavirus on his watch.

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was hoping that Sheila Jackson Lee would struggle a bit more in her primary challenge to show the Dem party that she had future electability (primary-wise) problems but she prevailed with ~80%. I hate living in her district.

My friend ran against her in the D primary. He didn’t do as well as he thought he was going to do.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  And I have some thoughts on a phenomenon we saw in Travis County last night -- not a single male candidate in any local race won.  Not.  One.

Women showed up. They are pissed (can't blame them, by the way).  And in races where they didn't have specific information (judicial races usually fall in that bucket), they opted for the female over the male.  There is NO policy-based or political explanation for Sulak's defeat -- he has never invited any material controversy (other than pissing off one side or another in a case before him), no scandal, no nothing.  There was ZERO reason to vote against him.  In fact, he is one of the best-rated judges in Travis County according to all sides of the bar -- he is a great judge.  But yesterday, he didn't have ovaries, and that cost him.

I don't watch that closely but I agree with the moving preference towards female candidates.  Hell I even begin now to tend to vote for the woman ,if I have no idea and it's s two person race. Just because voting forever for the guy hasn't gotten me any major bonuses over time.  Interesting Sulak was one I did vote for. Thanks for the observation on the demographics of the city's election.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Pretty much the same story in Harris County. With the exception of one JP court position, I think every woman on the ballot won her judicial race. 

Undefeated. 

• Like 1