Coming to Austin Thur through satnight game end

Sgt Hulk

On 8/28/2019 at 5:08 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

about 4 miles from the stadium,  i'll have a rental 

Well, don't drive it downtown or on Gameday.  If it's been many a year for you, as you say, you're really not gonna like what happened with parking, traffic, homeless people demanding money for spots, etc.  

Sounds like you have some interest in touring some of the craft brewers out in the Hill Country?  There's services that'll pick you up in town and take you to the 2-5 breweries/distilleries/wineries of your choice.  It's nice driving around out there away from the city but there's too much booze out there to stay safe after about the 3rd location.  

Because of all that, I'd say screw the rental car.  Unless you're wanting to drive around and look at the old stomping grounds and such.  For that, I'd just swipe my card for a zip car or car2go for a few hours and be done with it.  

Bump for this weekend; i just got to town for the game this weekend.  My buddy who’s going to the game with me had to change flights because of a family funeral so he’s not coming in until late tomorrow.  I figured I would go have my first margarita, since 2012, and take it easy tonight but my old go to place is gone.  Without having to ride a scooter too far; is there anyplace near west 6th that has a good one?  Yelp and Google aren't much help.  

Adding; at some point i want to end up back at Wyndham on 8th...

Well, they're good enough for Guy Clark to sing about at Texas Chili Parlor (Lavaca just south of 15th Street).  I was there last night and would have checked one out for you but just saw this post.  I can confidently state their Shiner Bock tastes just like Shiner Bock.

La Condesa (2nd Street) no doubt pours a good one.  Maybe Manuel's (310 Congress), but I haven't been there in years -- the margs at their Jollyville Road location are solid.

You know, there should probably be an Austin-Margaritas thread in this subforum.

Z Tejas has always had a pretty good rocks margarita.  That's about all I've got for the area you're talking about, when I'm down there I'm typically drinking beer, gin, or Scotch.

1 hour ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Its not really a true margarita, but my favorite tequila drink in Austin is the Don Dario from Suerte.   Highly recommended.   

I looked it up, as I haven't been there before.  Sounds good:

DON DARIO

reposado tequila, tamarindo, sarsaparilla, lime

6 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Cedar Door basically invented the Mexican Martini style Margarita. I haven't had one in years since I don't office near there anymore, but I would imagine they're still delicious.

Oh yeah, excellent point.  I haven't been there much since they moved, I liked the old place a lot better, but the drinks are still good.

I think they're gonna be okay.

I've worked right around the corner for the last ~18 months and have been going there regularly for lunch and drinks after work since then. They get big lunch and after work crowds, and with Facebook moving into the new building directly across 3rd street they're about to get even more regular business. The food and service there are notably better than the S. 1st location and their patio seating along the creek is a nice setup (most of the year, just not when it's a million degrees outside) so I hope they stick around. It seems like they will. 

Edited by KaiserSoze
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 4:42 PM, KaiserSoze said:

The food and service there are notably better than the S. 1st location and their patio seating along the creek is a nice setup (most of the year, just not when it's a million degrees outside) 

agree with all of that; i've been to that location twice (both on Saturdays), was plenty crowded and thought it was a significant upgrade from the South 1st location (which I also like).  definitely hpe it succeeds there.

On 9/6/2019 at 12:51 PM, Ollie Slatt said:

Its not really a true margarita, but my favorite tequila drink in Austin is the Don Dario from Suerte.   Highly recommended.   

Had two of those on Sunday night, can confirm they are awesome. This will sound like a humble brag, but I get to eat at a ton of world class restaurants living in Manhattan and am nevertheless always jealous of you guys every time I eat at Suerte. That place is just outstanding. It will absolutely have a Michelin star in the future. 

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Had two of those on Sunday night, can confirm they are awesome. This will sound like a humble brag, but I get to eat at a ton of world class restaurants living in Manhattan and am nevertheless always jealous of you guys every time I eat at Suerte. That place is just outstanding. It will absolutely have a Michelin star in the future. 

Unfortunately, it won't have a chance to get a Micheling star. Michelin doesn't rate restaurants in most of the US, just NY, Chicago, and San Francisco (how are they here over LA?).

For a guy who gets to eat at a ton of world class restaurants in Manhattan, thought you'd know there are no Michelin ratings in Texas ;)

However, the brother from ZZ Top, James Beard...has taken the liberty of rating a number of great restaurants between Austin and LaGrange, TX.  The Balinese being one of his particular favorites and lauded all over the state.  

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . do you just need to drive through ABIA or park?  Seems like there are a ton of decent restaurants within maybe 10 minutes of the airport.  I'd be looking at casual spots near Congress & Ben White if that works.

Probably park. Someone lost their keys on vacation and I'm dropping off their spare set when they return. I could eat anywhere I guess since I'm coming from Waco, but did prefer to be near the airport and didn't want to be rushed when eating. Looking at google, I now see why we never eat anywhere near the airport.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Justine's?

When we fly in after 9 we sometimes hit Trudy's South Star on the way home (open until 2am). It's not bad. Otherwise it's fast food all the way down (we've also hit Whataburger after a long vacation when we come in late as well though).  

Edit: Wait, are you trying to eat before you drop off keys at 9? If so, there are a few more options on Caesar Chavez (Sawyer & Co for one). And Patsy's Cafe is open until 9 for chicken fry.

Edited by ftf82
  • Like 1