Alternative to Chrome

I've used Google Chrome (Windows 7) for years, but after a forced update a couple of nights ago, it's just ridiculously slow, and (according to Norton) is hitting the hard drive constantly.  I went into settings, tried to make things better, no luck.

What's a good alternative?  I don't stream anything, I don't download anything.  No, really.  WaPo is about my limit for salacious content.

Is Firefox the answer?  Gah, this is annoying.

I switched to Vivaldi hoping it would be a bit less of a memory hog. I’m not sure it made much of a difference there and I ended up getting a pc with more ram (work computer) but I ended up sticking with Vivaldi. It’s pretty customizable and took a bit of fiddling with the settings to have everything arranged how I like it (sparse), and now I really do.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is the continuous disk access an artifact of my computer not having enough RAM?

there are indexer programs that seem to be big hogs.  if you can figure out which process is hogging the resources you can get them to stop loading on start up.  run the task manager by c-a-d, then sort by disk usage.   if you make it small enough you can watch the big offenders while you do your surfing, then search what the process is in googles.  i don't recall what i had to turn off a few months ago with similar disk resource hogging attributes.  

No help with the browser, but yes to looking at your startup items. Almost none of that shit is necessary. Type “msconfig” into windows search bar, select startup tab, uncheck all that shit(google if you don’t know what an item is).

Nuke all of your extensions and plug-ins and etc.  Turn off browser syncing/account login.

Even if there are no performance gains, out of principle and privacy concerns, you should reduce dependency on google and switch to firefox intsead

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've used Google Chrome (Windows 7) for years, but after a forced update a couple of nights ago, it's just ridiculously slow, and (according to Norton) is hitting the hard drive constantly.  I went into settings, tried to make things better, no luck.

Was the update a Windows Update or Chrome update ?

If it was a Windows Update,  you may consider uninstalling to see if the update was the culprit.    You may also want to install an earlier version of Chrome or Chrome Canary which will will run compatible with regular Chrome to test.

You mentioned Norton in the original post.  I'd suggest dumping that and using Windows Defender (Formerly MS Security Essentials on Windows 7).  I always found Norton to be a very intrusive, weighty, bit of software.  Microsoft's built in security suite has been working well for me for years. 

On 8/29/2019 at 11:05 AM, tokamak said:

Firefox is putting out a good product these days. I switched from Chrome about 3 months ago and have zero complaints.

Yep, it does seem to have a similar memory "footprint" to Chrome, maybe slightly less, but is definitely less of a general purpose resource hog.

What fascinates me to some degree, is what a fucking hog Chrome is on Windoze and OSX, yet an entire operating system based on it can fly on rinkydink hardware.

Edited by TwiceHorn