Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan

Parliament

19 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I never said Burrow wasn't any good but you are gonna keep stating that to be right. 

Look at his stats the year before Joe Brady came and i'll hang up and listen. The facts are staring you right in the face.

It's almost as if 20 year old kids might develop and progress their skillset.  I know we're Texas and we haven't seen players develop and improve for the better part of 2 decades but from what I hear from others it's still possible

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michigan is really in a pickle. I lived in Atlanta during Mark Richt's waning years, talked to a lot of UGA fans, and there are some parallels to the two situations.
Really it just comes down to what everyone has already said - it seems obvious at this point that Harbaugh isn't going to get Michigan
over the hump. Yet, they're bowling every year and winning a respectable 9-10 games....hell, at Iowa or Minnesota you'd get the stadium named after you. 

47 minutes ago, Marfa Low Crown said:

Michigan is really in a pickle. I lived in Atlanta during Mark Richt's waning years, talked to a lot of UGA fans, and there are some parallels to the two situations.
Really it just comes down to what everyone has already said - it seems obvious at this point that Harbaugh isn't going to get Michigan
over the hump. Yet, they're bowling every year and winning a respectable 9-10 games....hell, at Iowa or Minnesota you'd get the stadium named after you. 

Mack Brown was one win away from keeping his job in 2013. If we'd gone 9-4, he absolutely would have been back in 2014, and not even just Baylor to win the conference. If we'd have beaten Ole Miss at home, then the rest of the season played out the same? He'd have been back. 

We were, in other words, in practically the same boat you're describing. It took five blowout losses in one year, where we clearly took another step back from 2012 and the apologists could no longer insist we were on a track of improvement, to get him out.

Edited by SwanderedTalent

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Mack Brown was one win away from keeping his job in 2013. If we'd gone 9-4, he absolutely would have been back in 2014, and not even just Baylor to win the conference. If we'd have beaten Ole Miss at home, then the rest of the season played out the same? He'd have been back. 

We were, in other words, in practically the same boat you're describing. It took five blowout losses in one year, where we clearly took another step back from 2012 and the apologists could no longer insist we were on a track of improvement, to get him out.

You're absolutely right and that's what I would tell UGA fans... both programs were in the same position at that time. With Mack we'd been passed up by the TCU's and Baylor's of the world
and it was obvious he wasn't going to get it back...4-5 losses a year were going to be the new norm. 

Just now, Marfa Low Crown said:

You're absolutely right and that's what I would tell UGA fans... both programs were in the same position at that time. With Mack we'd been passed up by the TCU's and Baylor's of the world
and it was obvious he wasn't going to get it back...4-5 losses a year were going to be became the new norm in the best of times, and also, Chuckles Strong. 

FIFY

• 2 weeks later...

UM Sportswriter just listing some facts about Harbs not getting it done. 

Nothing To See Here

Jim Harbaugh is the embodiment of his coach, Bo Schembechler, and at his core, Harbaugh preaches two of Schembechler's maxims: "The Team, The Team, The Team" and "Those Who Stay Will Be Champions." But those two phrases are hardly recognizable around the Michigan program these days. Consider:

• In December 2018, multiple players, including captains Karan Higdon and Devin Bush announce they will sit out the Peach Bowl to protect their NFL futures. 

• A respected insider on TheWolverine.com posts about Harbaugh and his staff weeding out a sense of "entitlement within the program" and guys  that "aren't all in for the team" suggesting changes in recruiting philosophy and leadership to better assess players that will be selfless in their commitment to Michigan football.  

• In January 2019, Michigan loses two assistant coaches to Ohio State. Assistants move on all the time, and one can't fault coaches or a program when a promotion is at stake, but long-time Wolverine Greg Mattison, a 13-year U-M veteran, leaves Ann Arbor for the Maize and Blue's rival, pulling a 180 on everything his career had been about for the previous eight seasons. 

Linebackers coach Al Washington, a rising star in the profession, regarded as a dynamic recruiter, departs after one season for a lateral move to OSU. Even with ties to the Buckeye program, it's a surprise and another huge coup for Michigan's rival. 

• In the August of 2019, first-year offensive coordinator Josh Gattis jokingly references his starting quarterback spending too much time on the golf course during the summer, a comment that carried much more serious undertones behind the scenes. In fact, the players send a message, not electing senior Shea Patterson captain. 

"There wasn't a lot we could do because Shea was our starting quarterback, but we wanted to let him and our coaches know we weren't happy with his work in the summer - both Joe [Milton] and Dylan [McCaffrey] outworked him, and then Coach immediately went against our decision and named him a captain," a recent departure shared. "Guys weren't happy."

As a former player noted the beginning of the end for the Brady Hoke regime was when Hoke and his staff began playing favorites and giving leeway to certain players, including Devin Funchess, that they didn't give to the entire team. 

"He'd let Funchess get away with stuff in practice and in games ... he wasn't held accountable, and that created a lot of locker room issues," the player shared. 

• Within days of the captain announcement, facing speculation in the media and among the fan base of discontent within the ranks, Harbaugh named Patterson and senior safety Josh Metellus alternate captains. 

"From the moment Shea arrived, he was treated differently, like he could never do anything wrong," another recent exiting player shared with WolverineDigest.com. "Wilton [Speight], John [O'Korn], Brandon [Peters] would all get chewed out for things that they just looked the other way with when it came to Shea." 

• From Aug. 1-present, eight players have entered the transfer portal, including five four-star recruits. That alone is not unique in today's college football, but out of 56 signees in the 2016-17 classes, Michigan has lost 24 to transfer so far (42.9 percent). For the same two classes, Penn State has seen a departure of 31.7 percent of its enrollees and Ohio State saw 26.7 percent of its 2016-17 enrollees transfer. 

• U-M loses three underclassmen to the NFL Draft, again not unexpected, but according to a friend of wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones, the DPJ camp was worried Michigan would not "put him in the best position to showcase his talent, just like they did with Jabrill Peppers and Rashan Gary." 

According to the friend, those guys got drafted because of their freak athleticism and potential, as Peoples-Jones will, and not because the staff utilized them in a way that allowed NFL scouts to see what they're capable of. 

• In November, Michigan gets beat by first-year and first-time Ohio State head coach Ryan Day by a greater margin at home than Urban Meyer achieved in 2018 in Columbus. 

• After U-M's fourth straight bowl loss, rising senior cornerback Ambry Thomas gives an interview to Michigan's official network that the Wolverines did not do a good enough job in 2019 holding players accountable and that in 2020, there will be greater accountability among the team. 

• Insiders on both TheWolverine.com and TheMichiganInsider.com once again discuss "entitlement" and "playing favorites" and Harbaugh's desire to craft a program in his image, building a culture that greater reflects the Schembechler way. 

• Just a few weeks ago, famed recruiting guru and special teams coach Chris Partridge, who had been selling the 40-year plan to Michigan prospects - the idea of a first-rate education, winning with integrity and setting a young man up for life with a degree that will do more than football alone - leaves for Ole Miss and Lane Kiffin, a program and coach with poor reputations for doing things above board. 

• Yesterday, position coach Anthony Campanile reverses course and signs a contract with the Miami Dolphins, reportedly 48 hours after Michigan pulled out all the stops to court him away from gigs at Rutgers and Boston College, willing to give him a raise that will severely limit the program's ability to sign another top assistant to fill Partridge's vacant position. 

Every one of these bullet points can be explained away. It's the new normal. Coaches leave all the time. Ohio State was more talented than Michigan. There is a me-first attitude prevalent throughout college football. But going into Year 6, Harbaugh has failed to instill the "the team, the team, the team" culture among his players and his coaches, and one has to seriously ask if he ever will be able to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heso said:

Nothing To See Here

Meh - 
That isn't anything that couldn't be written about a lot of programs, including the ones in East Lansing, Austin, Nebraska, USC, etc. Hell I think only Alabama, OUsux, Georgia (maybe), and tOSU might be the only programs that doesn't have levels of discontent (well programs that haven't written off any and all hope)

Just now, Wally Fairway said:

Meh - 
That isn't anything that couldn't be written about a lot of programs, including the ones in East Lansing, Austin, Nebraska, USC, etc. Hell I think only Alabama, OUsux, Georgia (maybe), and tOSU might be the only programs that doesn't have levels of discontent (well programs that haven't written off any and all hope)

For sure. The one bit that did stick out to me was that over 40% of the 2017 recruiting class has transferred. Well above what osu and psu list to transfers. 

i had previously been looking for, and was unable to find, average number of kids entering the portal. 

• U-M loses three underclassmen to the NFL Draft, again not unexpected, but according to a friend of wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones, the DPJ camp was worried Michigan would not "put him in the best position to showcase his talent, just like they did with Jabrill Peppers and Rashan Gary." 

Michigan does manage to sign a lot of unlikable me-first guys that don't accomplish much on the field

• 1 month later...

Canceled their overseas trip to where? Spring is near and they never announced a destination. I can't imagine the UM boosters footing the bill for an overseas vacation instead of, you know, practicing to actually make the team better able to beat their rival, were too excited about continuing the practice after Harbaugh lost to the Buckeyes' rookie head coach. 0-4 against Meyer was one thing. 0--1 against Day is another and the clock is officially ticking. I would've been a little surprised if they'd continued the vacation tradition. I think this is probably just a face-saving excuse to cancel it. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 12:01 PM, heso said:

Nothing To See Here

When you put it all together it is a really bad look. I am not sure what the hell happened with Shea, but Jimmy needs to find a real QB and needs to do it quickly. Hopefully Dylan is half as good as his brother was in college and can be the man the next few years. 

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Canceled their overseas trip to where? Spring is near and they never announced a destination. I can't imagine the UM boosters footing the bill for an overseas vacation instead of, you know, practicing to actually make the team better able to beat their rival, were too excited about continuing the practice after Harbaugh lost to the Buckeyes' rookie head coach. 0-4 against Meyer was one thing. 0--1 against Day is another and the clock is officially ticking. I would've been a little surprised if they'd continued the vacation tradition. I think this is probably just a face-saving excuse to cancel it. 

Meh - they took their trips between spring practice, the end of the semester and when fall practice starts. Their trips were not keeping them off the practice field or out of the weight room. I imagine those trips are something those teams will remember for their entire lifetime. And if UM has a booster willing to foot the bill, then good for them.
Maybe the better question is why aren't all the big programs ($100M+ in annual revenue and yuge $$$ donars finding a way to take their teams on cultural trip?

And this is from someone who has endlessly pointed out that maybe Jimmah should take his team to Indianapolis in the off-season; and I'll mention it yet again - as this would be the perfect year as they aren't going overseas, so he might as well take them to a place they've never been and have only heard about or seen on TV. 

I am not sure what the hell happened with Shea, but Jimmy needs to find a real QB and needs to do it quickly. Hopefully Dylan is half as good as his brother was in college and can be the man the next few years. 

Just baffling what Harbs has done at the QB position. Patterson was a mediocre QB at Ol' Miss and he mortgaged the farm to get HIM? McCaffery is the only legit QB prospect he's ever brought into Ann Arbor and he couldn't beat him out in 3 years?

Michigan ain't gonna be better this year.

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

They are going to be Michigan; their schedule will get them to 9 or 10 wins (Ball St, Arky St, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue and 3 of Wiscy, MSU, Minny, Washington) and they still won't have beaten a rated team. Even if they get an unexpected loss they will still be in the top 15 when they roll into Columbus the their annual trip to the woodshed.

10 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Meh - they took their trips between spring practice, the end of the semester and when fall practice starts. Their trips were not keeping them off the practice field or out of the weight room. I imagine those trips are something those teams will remember for their entire lifetime. And if UM has a booster willing to foot the bill, then good for them.
Maybe the better question is why aren't all the big programs ($100M+ in annual revenue and yuge $$$ donars finding a way to take their teams on cultural trip?

And this is from someone who has endlessly pointed out that maybe Jimmah should take his team to Indianapolis in the off-season; and I'll mention it yet again - as this would be the perfect year as they aren't going overseas, so he might as well take them to a place they've never been and have only heard about or seen on TV. 

They held practices on their 2017 trip to Rome. I know they abandoned the artifice of "practice" the last two years but I was under the impression that they still had to legally allocate the time during which the head coach can interact with the players during the offseason. They have to be stealing the time from somewhere, right? 

I still say it's a convenient excuse to end a failed recruiting stunt. It wasn't working and it made them look foolish. And if they were planning a spring vacation then the reservations would've already been made. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

19 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I'd rather remember the loss to Apply State, than this atrocious bonehead play that cost you a game to the in-state rivals...

Is there another fan base that has three kick-in-the-nuts losses like this, on their home field, on the last play of the game?

* 1994, Hail Mary loss to Colorado

* 2007, blocked FG loss to App State

* 2015, blocked punt loss to Michigan State

Three losses on the last play of the game and in each instance, Michigan lined up thinking the win was almost guaranteed (I grant that a 43-yd FG never feels like a guarantee, but still). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Is there another fan base that has three kick-in-the-nuts losses like this, on their home field, on the last play of the game?

Three losses on the last play of the game and in each instance, Michigan lined up thinking the win was almost guaranteed (I grant that a 43-yd FG never feels like a guarantee, but still). 

Correction - Michigan didn't lose to App State on the last play of the game, App State was a head and Michy had the winning FG attempt blocked on the last play 

You can add to the list - from my youth - 1973 and 1974 Michy v. OSU games
1973 - 10-10 tie, Michigan missed to FG's in the last 2:00 minutes that would have put them ahead. The BIG AD's voted OSU to the Rose Bowl, Michy stayed at home
1974 - 10-12 loss to OSU, misssed another game ending FG attempt that would have won the game

Poor Walvies, poor poor walvies

8 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Correction - Michigan didn't lose to App State on the last play of the game, App State was a head and Michy had the winning FG attempt blocked on the last play 

1973 - 10-10 tie, Michigan missed to FG's in the last 2:00 minutes that would have put them ahead. The BIG AD's voted OSU to the Rose Bowl, Michy stayed at home
1974 - 10-12 loss to OSU, misssed another game ending FG attempt that would have won the game

Well-- maybe technically right about App State, but I think I have the expectation right (which is why to a MIchigan fan it might have felt like losing on the last play). if you can put yourself in the moment as a Michigan fan, I think the vast majority expected to make the FG after the long pass completion and "escape". I include it because I think that while setting up for the field goal, "they might block it" was probably a lot further from mind than "make it and get out of here with a win and never speak of it again". 

Re: the two Ohio State games, those are great additions to the canon. I'd say 1973 was probably more of a nut punch after the fact, when Ohio State was voted into the Rose Bowl-- like in the moment, I am sure it sucked to miss those kicks, but Lantry was a really spotty kicker and they were from 58 and then 44. The odds on that 58-yarder must have been one in five, maybe one in ten, he was never gonna make that. Even a 44-yarder, that's a tough kick-- when it misses, a Michigan fan is like "AH FUCK!" but it's not like missing a chip shot a la Ian Howfield. And then you walk out of the stadium thinking "at least we're going to the Rose Bowl". 

1974, that had to be the worst-- not only was it from 33 yards, where as a fan you expect your guy to make 99 out of a hundred, but it's not even clear whether he actually missed the kick or not. 

sorry, I pissed myself laughing and had to go change

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

1994 was a classic, bit alas, I'd have rather the Wolverines had won all 3 contest...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2020 at 10:51 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Applachia St had them beat, UM only got to try a fg because the Appies somehow gave up a Hail Mary. 

Army '19 was kicking to beat UM in their stadium after controlling much of the game, although it was a long fg and the Cadets eventually lost in OT. 

On 2/26/2020 at 2:28 PM, Parliament said:

Just baffling what Harbs has done at the QB position. Patterson was a mediocre QB at Ol' Miss and he mortgaged the farm to get HIM? McCaffery is the only legit QB prospect he's ever brought into Ann Arbor and he couldn't beat him out in 3 years?

Harbaugh’s strange inability to land a great QB is baffling. 

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

How does he keep his job with 0-5 vs Ohio St and losing 4 Bowl games in a row?  

The people that make the decisions at Michigan think Jim Harbaugh does things The Right Way. He doesn't lower himself to Ohio State's level. And he still nearly beat them twice in five years. Michigan doesn't do the terrible bad cheating things Clemson and Alabama do. Michigan does The Right Things. 

How did Mack Brown coach here for as long as he did? He didn't do the terrible, bad cheating things Oklahoma (or USC or LSU) did. He did things The Right Way. And we won one national championships and TWO conference titles and a couple more BCS bowls doing it The Right Way. That's way more important than NOT doing it The Right Way and winning four national titles or running up a fifty-point win over your rival. Way more important.

Michigan and Texas are peas in a pod. That's why both their fan bases feel like the sport is leaving them behind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Once.  2016.  Every other game was a double digit loss and three of them were downright embarrasing.

It was sarcasm, and I threw in 2017 because if you talk to any Michigan fan, that was "practically a win if not for John O'Korn, WE WERE AHEAD 14-0 IN THE SECOND QUARTER!"

I don't have a lot of respect for Michigan's program, or ours at this point, because neither is serious about winning the way the Big 5 (Bama, Clemson, LSU, OSU, Oklahoma) are. You can probably throw Georgia in there too. It's not OK to go 10-3 at Ohio State, even if you win the Sugar Bowl and split two games with your arch-rival. It's not OK to go 11-2 three times in four years at OU, even if you win the Big 12 and a couple Sugar Bowls. Those programs are fucking serious about winning.

We're not, and neither is Michigan, so it turns out that all of the pinkie-extending, tut-tutting, prison-pussy-facial-hair Gen X enablers in our fan base got what they squeed about in the lead up to the 2005 Rose Bowl ("we're just like Michigan!!!! they're just like us!!!!! OU is Ohio State, Ohio State is OU!"). We are indeed Michigan. We're a bloated, fart-sniffing, "man weren't the 1970s great" blueblood happily ensconced on the second tier of CFB programs, happier to Lose with Dignity than get down in the mud and compete, and even more happily counting our revenue championships.

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

How did Mack Brown coach here for as long as he did? He didn't do the terrible, bad cheating things Oklahoma (or USC or LSU) did. He did things The Right Way. And we won one national championships and TWO conference titles and a couple more BCS bowls doing it The Right Way. That's way more important than NOT doing it The Right Way and winning four national titles or running up a fifty-point win over your rival. Way more important.

Wow. I have a lot of problems with this. Mack's tenure wasn't perfect, but it was a lot better than anything Michigan has sniffed since... what, the late 40s? Colt doesn't go out in 2010 and Mack likely has 2 titles. There's a chance we were the best team in the country in 2008, too, but we'll never know I guess. 

And it might rub some the wrong way, but I find it hard to beleive we weren't doing similar things behind the scenes in the 2000s as everyone else that was perennialy in national title conversation was. I don't know if I would even call it "cheating" but I would roll my eyes at the notion that our players under Mack were some troop of Bible thumping, hit-the-books, morally-upstanding young gentlemen.

Sure, our standards were above the Oklahomas and LSUs of the world, but Texas is a better school that historically hasn't needed to be as dirty as its neighbors. 

And four national titles is a strange goalpost. No one but Saban has achieved that. 

So no, we aren't Alabama, we aren't quite tOSU or Oklahoma (unfortunately) but good Lord we sure as shit aren't Michigan. 5 bowl wins in the past 21 years? They aren't all NY6 but we have 12.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

Not sure how well Harbaugh does this but one thing FUPM did EXCEPTIONALLY well was get the BMDs on the sidelines in coaching shorts and polos acting out their fantasy of being directly involved in the team.

He had Jamail as his personal lawyer in negotiations with UT for fuck's sake. When one of the schools biggest donors is the head football coaches attorney it tends to put extra pressure on the school.

Harbaugh just seems to be a socially awkward dick, FUPM was a savant in social settings compared to Harbaugh.

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Not sure how well Harbaugh does this but one thing FUPM did EXCEPTIONALLY well was get the BMDs on the sidelines in coaching shorts and polos acting out their fantasy of being directly involved in the team.

He had Jamail as his personal lawyer in negotiations with UT for fuck's sake. When one of the schools biggest donors is the head football coaches attorney it tends to put extra pressure on the school.

Harbaugh just seems to be a socially awkward dick, FUPM was a savant in social settings compared to Harbaugh.

Wilson – a first-round pick in 2020 NFL Draft – was once a heavy Michigan lean, with 91 percent of the 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions calling for him to commit to the Wolverines over Georgia and Alabama.

Then, Jim Harbaugh happened.

“Harbaugh did something weird,” Wilson told Bartsool Sports' Bussin' With the Boys podcast. “He did something super weird.”

Turns out, Harbaugh was extremely insistent on his shoe game.

“Remember when they first got the deal with Jordan?” Wilson said. ”He just wouldn’t take off his cleats. He came to my in-home visit with cleats on his feet. And I have hardwood floors. And he’s just walking around with cleats bro. After that, it was over.”

Yes, Jim Harbaugh missed out on the No. 16 player in the country because he wore cleats inside his house, for some reason, and refused to take them off.

But it turns out, this wasn't exactly a one-time thing. It seems Harbaugh pretty much just always wears cleats. Former Michigan corner Jourdan Lewis said Harbaugh wears cleats on all the team's chartered flights – something a New York Times photograph confirms. Former Michigan wide receiver Amara Darboh even went as far as to say he's "never seen him in tennis shoes."

• immamac changed the title to Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan