Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan

Parliament

1 hour ago, heso said:

So with Georgia making it to the championship game last season, has UM taken over the UGA spot as the perennial top 10-15 team that will always underperform expectations? 

they have for the last 10 years. im a Michigan fan and they are always ranked pre-season

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 7:08 PM, kopp0e said:

This guy has a point, as Harbaugh has turned the team around from the Hoke years...

Better then Hoke? Who fucking knows. What we do know is neither of them could beat OSU ass.

Jim just happens to be making twice what Hoke did while losing to their hated rival. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Better then Hoke? Who fucking knows. What we do know is neither of them could beat OSU ass.

Jim just happens to be making twice what Hoke did while losing to their hated rival. 

When you pay a coach twice as much to lose the same amount to the arch rival... 

tenor.gif?itemid=4895431

But I think given the circumstances, that Michigan should win the east this fall...

• 2 weeks later...
Garbage program, hope the offense looks like Florida last year since they picked up McElwain.

I would take an offense that looked like Florida last year as opposed to the same Michigan offense from last year.

4 TD passes all year. 0 to WRs. That is an insane level of suck.

The defense is going to be the best in the country, all they need is the offense to not keep shooting them selves in the dick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Michigan loses a player for the game this week:

Michigan Wolverines Wide Receiver Tarik Black OUT For Notre Dame ...

One Foot Down-1 hour ago
The Michigan Wolverines will open the season up against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish without one of its starting wide receivers, Tarik Black. The sophomore ...

On 8/25/2018 at 10:45 AM, kopp0e said:

The Wolverines deemed as one of the more likely teams with a legit shot of winning the CFP title..!

Loses credibility with USC, Stanford and OU on this list..... All three are not strong enough at QB to win Nat'l Championship this year....

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, kopp0e said:

This guy has a point, as Harbaugh has turned the team around from the Hoke years...

The same tweet could have been made when Hoke took over for Rich Rod's and his disaster.
Hoke went 11-2 and won the Sugar Bowl, but then slipped.

Rinse, wash, repeat (I'm thinking that UM fans share the Aggy rollercoaster MSPaint - hype, September Heisman, early setback, disaster ...... but 2018 is the year they win a Natty).

Nothing I want more than a 7-0 undefeated UM team coming into East Lansing on October 20

Anything less than at least a trip to the Big Ten title game is a failed season for Michigan.

They lose the opener at Notre Dame and the season can go south fast. I can also see them trip over their dicks AT Northwestern. Sparty and Ohio State, at best they'll split that. 

This is probably the hardest schedule they've had since Harbaugh has been here. Let's see if that defense is as good as they claim it is.  His offense has to put up points. It can't be like his brother's Baltimore Ravens teams putting up 10 or 14 points.

I am surprised that most of the UM fans are getting impatient, but the local radio show up here in the afternoon is radio gold listening to the delusional fans and their excuses. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Escapedgoat said:

Anything less than at least a trip to the Big Ten title game is a failed season for Michigan.

They lose the opener at Notre Dame and the season can go south fast. I can also see them trip over their dicks AT Northwestern. Sparty and Ohio State, at best they'll split that. 

This is probably the hardest schedule they've had since Harbaugh has been here. Let's see if that defense is as good as they claim it is.  His offense has to put up points. It can't be like his brother's Baltimore Ravens teams putting up 10 or 14 points.

I am surprised that most of the UM fans are getting impatient, but the local radio show up here in the afternoon is radio gold listening to the delusional fans and their excuses. 

BIG championship or bust for me as a Michigan fan. tough schedule but its year 4

50 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

The same tweet could have been made when Hoke took over for Rich Rod's and his disaster.
Hoke went 11-2 and won the Sugar Bowl, but then slipped.

Rinse, wash, repeat (I'm thinking that UM fans share the Aggy rollercoaster MSPaint - hype, September Heisman, early setback, disaster ...... but 2018 is the year they win a Natty).

Nothing I want more than a 7-0 undefeated UM team coming into East Lansing on October 20

I think with the upheaval in Ohio State, that Michigan should have a clear path to the B1G east crown, if the Nittany Lions can be defeated...

8 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

BIG championship or bust for me as a Michigan fan. tough schedule but its year 4

Nebraska has a crazy schedule pulling 3 of the 4 "brands" from the east in the Wolverines/ Spartans & Buckeyes... I don't know how that was managed, but the Frost/ Harbaugh match should be good must see tv for most fans in the region... And give us an idea of Frost capabilities as coach for the Bugeaters, by the time all 3 of those opponents are played...

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

When does the honeymoon start coming to an end for Harbaugh?? 

good question. The big donors have got to be wearing thin with patience.

I actually like Harbaugh. his QB's have been absolute shit at Michigan and we're well into "his guys" now. hes gotta figure it out and quick.

• 1 month later...

Write-up USA Today about Jimmah and his contract - actually a fairly interesting read, about the high finance related to big-time coaching (ie: split dollar life insurance)

Harbaugh’s contract spells out his worth this way: This season he is making $550,000 in base salary and $4.95 million in additional compensation plus $2 million paid into a life insurance policy. Michigan is scheduled to pay $14 million in loan advances into the policy over the life of the contract ...

Currently, the policy would provide Harbaugh’s estate a death benefit of a little more than $75 million, from which Michigan get repayment for the premium loans, plus interest.

But there’s a longer-haul feature: Using present dollar values and assuming Michigan pays all of the scheduled premiums, Harbaugh would be able to draw more than $1.2 million a year in tax-free income from the policy’s accumulated cash value from age 70 through age 84 – and the death benefit would still be more than $32 million, minus the roughly $20 million in loans and interest Michigan would be owed. The dollars likely will be worth much less in those years than they are now, but it’s still an attractive setup

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/10/03/jim-harbaugh-do-michigans-results-justify-coachs-7-5-million/1489623002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

and since it is carried by Gannett papers - you can also see the spin put in the headline and photos in Detroit

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/10/03/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh-money/1509017002/

Edited by Wally Fairway

On 9/1/2018 at 11:07 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

good question. The big donors have got to be wearing thin with patience.

I actually like Harbaugh. his QB's have been absolute shit at Michigan and we're well into "his guys" now. hes gotta figure it out and quick.

I think Harbaugh’s leash is shorter than it would be with how quickly Franklin turned penn state into a regular fixture in the top 10 with a lot less to start with. There are plenty of other quick successes in CFB that could be ignored, but to regularly be looking up in the division at a team, that in the wake of the scholarship reductions was giving up 12 sacks to Temple because they had no offensive linemen 3 years ago, has to be harder to ignore. Not to mention looking up at little brother MSU.

He has to win the east soon. It’s fine occasionally finishing 3rd or 4th in the east, but it has to be offset by winning the east from time to time. I’d have to think winning the east this year or next buys him some time, but they are paying him playoff money.

Im of the mind that if you’re going to hire a coach you need to give him 5 years unless things are a total train wreck. Give him a chance to change the culture, get his players in and make a run at it. 

He’s getting his great recruiting classes, but at some point if he can’t get a qb that’s going to kill him. 

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Write-up USA Today about Jimmah and his contract - actually a fairly interesting read, about the high finance related to big-time coaching (ie: split dollar life insurance)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/10/03/jim-harbaugh-do-michigans-results-justify-coachs-7-5-million/1489623002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

and since it is carried by Gannett papers - you can also see the spin put in the headline and photos in Detroit

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/10/03/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh-money/1509017002/

WeeThisGalapagosmockingbird-size_restric

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, heso said:

I think Harbaugh’s leash is shorter than it would be with how quickly Franklin turned penn state into a regular fixture in the top 10 with a lot less to start with. There are plenty of other quick successes in CFB that could be ignored, but to regularly be looking up in the division at a team, that in the wake of the scholarship reductions was giving up 12 sacks to Temple because they had no offensive linemen 3 years ago, has to be harder to ignore. Not to mention looking up at little brother MSU.

He has to win the east soon. It’s fine occasionally finishing 3rd or 4th in the east, but it has to be offset by winning the east from time to time. I’d have to think winning the east this year or next buys him some time, but they are paying him playoff money.

Im of the mind that if you’re going to hire a coach you need to give him 5 years unless things are a total train wreck. Give him a chance to change the culture, get his players in and make a run at it. 

He’s getting his great recruiting classes, but at some point if he can’t get a qb that’s going to kill him. 

Pretty confident that McCafferey is that QB. I actually think he's much better suited to the offense they're running than Patterson is. I feel like Patterson is being misused by a refusal to fully adapt. 

16 hours ago, retread said:

Didn't see it listed in that USA Today article. As of last Dec. Harbaugh's buyout was $20 million

image.png

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/25/16545734/dabo-swinney-jimbo-fisher-usa-today-head-coach-buyouts-salaries

1.) Worth it

2.) Worth it

3.) Overpaying... results of a much lower paid coach

4.) Blood money

5.) LOL

6.) Hard to say the 6th highest paid coach is underpaid, but.....

7.) Should be charged with grand larceny

8.) Must recuse self from determination

9.) Underpaid IMHO

10.) LOL

11.) Eh. IDK how I feel about this

12.) Good return on investment 

13.) Shining example of the Happiness = Reality / expectations. 

A more current list, for 2018:

*Note Mike Gundy now listed...

Fisher has the highest buyout at $68.1 million, followed by Meyer ($38 million), Clemson's Dabo Swinney ($35 million), Saban ($33.6 million) and Malzahn ($32.1 million). Saban, Meyer and Swinney are the highest-paid coaches in the SEC, Big Ten and ACC, respectively, while Texas' Tom Herman ($5.5 million) and Washington's Chris Petersen ($4.375 million) are the highest-paid coaches in the Big 12 and Pac-12, respectively.

In all, the SEC and Big Ten have the most top-25-paid coaches in college football, with seven apiece. The ACC has five, the Big 12 four and the Pac-12 just two. Here is a full breakdown of college football's top 25 highest-paid coaches:

Coach (Team) Total Salary Bonuses paid 2017-18 Buyout
Nick Saban (Alabama) $8.3 million $500,000 $33.6 million
Urban Meyer (Ohio State) $7.6 million $350,000 $38 million
Jim Harbaugh (Michigan) $7.5 million $150,000 $17.1 million
Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M) $7.5 million $68.1 million
Gus Malzahn (Auburn) $6.7 million $375,000 $32.1 million
Kirby Smart (Georgia) $6.6 million $1.3 million $27.9 million
Dabo Swinney (Clemson) $6.5 million $500,000 $35 million
Dan Mullen (Florida) $6 million $12 million
Tom Herman (Texas) $5.5 million $75,000 $15.4 million
Scott Frost (Nebraska) $5 million $25.4 million
Mike Gundy (Oklahoma State) $5 million $62,500 $16.2 million
Willie Taggart (Florida State) $5 million $21.9 million
Lovie Smith (Illinois) $5 million $50,000 $12.6 million
Gary Patterson (Texas Christian) $4.8 million
James Franklin (Penn State) $4.8 million $300,000 $18.3 million
Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma) $4.8 million $180,000 $20.8 million
Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) $4.7 million $600,000 $22.3 million
Mark Dantonio (Michigan State) $8.3 million $125,000 $7 million
Chris Petersen (Washington) $8.3 million $300,000 $26.3 million
David Shaw (Stanford) $8.3 million
Will Muschamp (South Carolina) $8.3 million $100,000 $18.6 million
Mark Richt (Miami) $8.3 million
Mark Stoops (Kentucky) $8.3 million $300,000 $15.6 million
Justin Fuente (Virginia Tech) $8.3 million $75,000 $15 million
Bobby Petrino (Louisville) $8.3 million $860,000 $14 million

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 8:19 AM, Escapedgoat said:

Great call on every point. 

If you are going to give a coach 5 years, you better hope and pray he's the right guy. If not, it will take 10 years to make up for those 5. By the 5th year, your coach has had his hand in 6-7 recruiting classes.

IMHO, 3 years is a good measuring stick for whether or not a coach is going to work out.

• Like 2

A few weeks back I was thinking that State Pen would put it to Big Blue. Before people start talking about Ohio State they have to get by Sparty and the Nambly Lions, right?

I don't have any idea about those, especially the Nitter game. It is a game I will be rooting for the Wolverines because I can't ever root for the Nitters.

werd from a diehard big blue coworker..... it's different for Harbaugh because "he is a michigan man" so he gets a lot more runway then we on the outside might expect him to have.   as for this season, they have found an offense, and with a supposedly beat up front 4 and playing their 2nds (supposedly their 2nds) they squashed badger.

jort is a month away.

michigan like us is in parcells mode.  this week, little brother gets to fuck with them again.  maybe.  par for the course would be a loss to little brother on the road.  a harbaugh win on saturday is the sign of trouble on the northwest ordinance frontier, and pedder and jort will be and should be just a little more worried.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

At Michigan? 5 years is pretty generous. 

You don't know Michigan. Even if Harbaugh loses to MSU, PSU, and OSU this year he'll still get a fifth year. RichRod forced them to admit their mistake and fire him after three years because they couldn't afford to give him another year to decimate recruiting. That was atypical. Even firing Hoke after four years was still unusual for UM.

Back in the day most schools gave a new coach five years. You figured his first recruiting class might be weak so you let him coach his second class though their senior season then see where you stand. (Hell, look how long of a leash OSU gave John Cooper.) 

Harbaugh is a Michigan Man. They brought out all the big guns including a bunch of his former teammates and other star players like Tom Brady to recruit him back to Ann Arbor. It would take extraordinary circumstances for them not to give him at least five years. Michigan is still pretty stodgy and old school. And without an obvious slam dunk replacement they're going to give Harbaugh plenty of time. 

• immamac changed the title to Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan