Client dinner for 10 in downtown/short drive Austin

Brisketexan

Been a while since I've done a client dinner in town.  Need a place that will take a reservation.  And, it probably can't be TOO cutting edge -- the guests are from generally small-town Texas.  Some of them will eat anything, I'm sure, but some are probably going to want to stick with traditional stuff -- meat and potatoes, pasta, variations on the same.

Fixe seems like a good call, I haven't been, don't know if they take reservations.

Salty Sow is cool -- I haven't been in a while, but I always like it when we go.

Swifts Attic is good, but it may be too "out there" for the crew?

Roaring Fork or Perry's -- traditional steakhouse vibe.  Not exciting, but they may be wanting/hoping for a steakhouse, so maybe?

North -- yeah, it's a chain, but I've never had a disappointing meal there.  And they don't have high-end italian at home.

Italic -- italian, but not a chain.  Haven't been in a while, but I've always liked the food there.

Any reason to love/hate any of those?  Any other suggestions?

My vote, Roaring Fork, then walk over to the JW patio bar afterwards.  Grab a few drinks.  People can walk a few more blocks to watch the bats if yall get out in time while others hang out and drink.  And then people can walk from there to dirty sixth if they want the Austin experience.  I've given up telling my out of town friends to stay away from 6th.  Most want it, even though it's dirty and cheesy as fuck.  It's like going to NO and not doing Bourbon St.  Yea it sucks, but you still HAVE to go.  Same mentality for people who visit Austin only once in a blue moon.

I'd do Siena over North, just based on the noise factor alone, but also on food.

Fonda San Miguel?  I've had a lot of business dinners there, but more in the 4-6 person range.

EDIT:  Sorry, I was thinking you were implying North Domain.  You're talking 2nd Street.  The others I suggested are too far.

Clay Pit is a short drive, but Indian might be a bit outside the comfort zone.  They do take reservations, though.

Ranch 616?

Edited by jimmyjazz

Fixe.  And yes, they take reservations.  Great part is they can get a steak if they want, or pork, or fried chicken, etc.

Roaring Fork is fine.  North location is better IMO

If you want a true steakhouse, they are all pretty much fine -- Capital Grill, Fleming's, Perry's, Bob's,  III Forks. 

Lonesome Dove is good as well, and they can go straight steak or fish, or get game 

If you’re thinking Italian just do Red Ash. Have never had anything but excellent food there. Had a halibut there a few weeks ago that was one of my favorite dishes of my life. Shit, Taverna on 2nd is better than anything I’ve had at North.

Edited by justhookit

6 minutes ago, justhookit said:

If you’re thinking Italian just do Red Ash. Have never had anything but excellent food there. Had a halibut there a few weeks ago that was one of my favorite dishes of my life. Shit, Taverna on 2nd is better than anything I’ve had at North.

Wow, Red Ash looks really good.  I'm so out of the loop, hadn't even heard of it.

Roaring Fork seems like the most obvious answer here.  Perfect restaurant to impress small town old people -- I take my parents there.  

I think Vespaio has a small private dining area.  El Naranjo may be a good option if you want to take them out drinking afterwards.  

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, they’re not THAT small town. They have access to a steakhouse or two, and even a trendy enough downtown place when a nouveau type menu.

But there’s enough good ideas here for me to do a bit of inquiry and see what direction they might like.

Thinking about the smallish town, I concur with the Moonshine Cafe recommendation. 

Where did you end up? The other week I tried to take a crew from out of town to RedAsh but it was too busy so settled for Taverna. Worked just fine. DaiDue is great but might be a bit more on the interesting side for small town people. Venison Ceviche is good though.

Have anyone tried Comedor? I've heard it's not quite as good as Suerte but similar menu but in the right location for you.

1 minute ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Where did you end up? The other week I tried to take a crew from out of town to RedAsh but it was too busy so settled for Taverna. Worked just fine. DaiDue is great but might be a bit more on the interesting side for small town people. Venison Ceviche is good though.

Have anyone tried Comedor? I've heard it's not quite as good as Suerte but similar menu but in the right location for you.

We have a reservation for Fixe.

AND, as we're having lunch in the office the next day, I think I'll get some good barbecue brought in.....That always makes people happy.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We have a reservation for Fixe.

AND, as we're having lunch in the office the next day, I think I'll get some good barbecue brought in.....That always makes people happy.

That’s a good choice.  Like others, I like Roaring Fork, but it’s pretty basic.  Fixe has some interesting, yet recognizable, upscale Southern cuisine, and good steaks if they want one. Wine list is much better than RF if they want wine.

Get the biscuits to start, and maybe some pimento cheese.