my csb about wiring a garage door opener

Buddy of mine is getting ready to sell a house.  I will get the listing,   The garage door was a dented POS, so he had a new one installed, along with an opener.  He'd never had an opener before. 

So, he's got an extension cord running to the opener.  I tell him that it's not kosher, and we need to fix it before we list.  I offer to do the work for him at no charge.   I plan to use an extension ring on an existing wall outlet, run EMT up and over, and put an outlet next to the opener attached to the joist. 

I go to Lowes and pick up what I need.  The total run will be about 20 feet, so I buy one 50' roll of white wire.  My plan is to use a sharpie to "re-identify" one of the white wires to black, and let the EMT carry the ground. 

I unroll the factory-wrapped of "Southwire" brand wire.  Unwind the spool, double back, and cut it right in the middle, and go about marking a foot or so one each end of one of the two wires with a sharpie.   

I hook the two wires to my fish tape, and start pulling. When the wires come out a few inches, I notice that there are no wires exposed on the other end.  I pull them out and measure...that 50' roll of wire only had about 41 actual feet on it. 

I intend to write a sternly-worded letter.