RIP Jim Leavelle, dead at 99 years old, the man handcuffed to Oswald

Hornius Emeritus

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Your dad was the bouncer who kicked me & my buddies out in ‘62?

Edited to add.... I recall Chris Colt and Her 45s were the featured titties that night. 

That is quite possible.  If you were just “kicked out” consider yourself lucky.  Apparently Ruby liked his bouncers to really get the point across to certain offenders.   My old man said they really tuned up some of the more unlucky types that crossed Ruby’s line too far.  If Ruby felt his bouncers left too much on the table he would have them hold the already worked over worst offenders up and he would pistol whip them as a going away memento.  

Ruby was quite crazy.  

On 8/30/2019 at 8:58 AM, ConferenceRoom said:

I wouldn't even put it down to incompetency. It was a perfect storm of emotions and opportunity and the bad luck of a police car leaving as Ruby arrived at the basement ramp, which occupied the attention of the guard officer for the briefest of moments. I don't think anyone could script those four days. Absolute insanity. 

Wasn't Ruby down there near the station in the first place to give one of his strippers rent money. 

Okay buddy.  Just found the photo had some curiously situated characters in it.  Wow, I don't even remember posting that 15 months ago, glad you did.  Shame on whoever said Dr. Beeper doesn't share the creepy nostalgia zest of Rex Kramer?  

Didn't realize this was your state though, I'll pack my things.  

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

what did he have to say about the day's events?

I actually asked her while at a company event.  She told me “He never speaks about it. I guess that’ll do it to you when you’re holding the President’s brains in your hands”.  

This was 30yrs ago when we worked together. I’ve always wondered the affect this had on him. I never met the man, but aside from the literal shock of holding another human’s brains in your hands, (I mean this wasn’t just the President of the US, it was JFK and everything that went along with it)...I’m guessing it had a profound impact on his life. Apparently he was interviewed by Stone, himself, for the movie. 

The story I’ve always told myself was that there was SO much unknown going on that he kept quiet about it for many reasons...

1) respectively for the Kennedy Family

2) respect for his Country

3) and maybe/probably fear for his own life and that of his own Family 

I always think of him when I hear PJ’s “Brain of J” .

The whole thing just fascinates me. Hell, the whole reason I pulled up this thread was because I was channel surfing and stopped on a NatGeo special “JFK’s Last Hours” or something to that affect.  It was good.  Lots of footage I’d never seen.  Did you know that on Saturday morning, 11/22/63 JFK attended a breakfast in downtown FtW and the Texas Boys choir sang.  I think the doc said they began their performance with “The Eyes of Texas”.  I found that quite ironic...

Edited by NTVTXN
I’m old and get Scorcese and Stone mixed up

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Chili Parlor.  I think late 80s into mid 90s.

Whoa.  Chili Parlor on Lavaca?  Holy Shit.

I’ve walked by that place many a time and never knew this. (But never eaten there; is it good?)

it always amazes me that one could be walking down a street in really any town/city and someone/something of historical significance has happened there, or lived there, etc.  Just blows me away.  I guess I’m a simpleton in that manner...

I think about that whenever I walk past the Penthouse building and think about how that's where Charles Whitman's killing spree actually started very early that morning.  Long before he took to the top of the Tower to really create havoc.  I know it's just another 70's high-rise but it has an Overlook Hotel quality about it sometimes.  I dunno.

2 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

I’ve walked by that place many a time and never knew this. (But never eaten there; is it good?)

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Where did she work here in town?  

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/lee-harveys-legacy/

The Texas Chili Parlor is a neighborhood bar without a neighborhood. Stuck in the no-man’s-land between the state capitol and the University of Texas campus, the Chili Parlor is so steeped in Austin tradition that its decision several years ago to begin offering chili with beans got coverage on the local TV news. The bar’s decor consists chiefly of scuffed wooden tables and junkyard scraps nailed to the walls—rusted license plates, cow skulls, yellowed newspaper clippings, and a hand-scrawled sign above the cash register noting that “Tipping is not a city in China.” Old Life magazine photographs used to hang on the walls, including one of Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald. “I don’t think anybody I worked with ever thought twice about it,” Rachel Oswald said. “You see that image everywhere; it’s easy to take it for granted. But it was still depressing, seeing my father shot every time I came to work.”

For seven years Rachel was a waitress at the Chili Parlor while she put herself through nursing school. One night at the end of her shift, she and I shared a bowl of queso, chips, and $2 Bloody Marys. I asked Rachel how many people in the bar knew who she was.

The late-night air had become a distinctive Texas medley of cigarette smoke and day-old chili fumes. Stevie Ray Vaughan was turned up loud on the radio. In a bar filled with pretty women, Rachel was striking enough to turn heads. She wore a purple dress from a vintage clothing store, platform shoes, and a black string choker. Even at 29, she had a tomboyish quality, and when she laughed, she seemed to be all elbows and collarbones. In conversation, Rachel could be both reserved and outgoing, and though she speaks with a slow drawl, her dark eyes, high cheeks, and thick, heavy eyebrows make it clear she is of Slavic descent. She looks a bit like Helena Bonham Carter, who, coincidentally, played her mother, Marina, in a 1993 TV movie about the Oswald family

spacer.png

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Thanks for this @atomheartbevo
holy guacamole- This stuff is just so fascinating!!

And what a terrible reminder that she had to endure every time she went to work- Somewhere she should be able to “escape” from that part of her life.  Children are always the victims one way or another. I’m not saying LHO did it- I’m not saying he’s innocent -  but poor Rachel sure is/was...

12 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Thank you @Hpara759!

I had forgotten about Dr. Duke.  Pretty sure he used to be a staple on either Channel 8 WFAA up here in DFW (or was it Channel 5 KXAS?)

Anyway, Dr Red Duke is a GREAT TEXAN.🤘🏻

Well he is a pretty red ass aggy.

I know two other docs present and in attendance at Parkland that day.  One arky the other okie.  Both UT SW grads, though.

20 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re an idiot. Leave my state. 

hi beeper.  we've occupied your state.  and apparently your head.  here's some trumpkin dissonance for your morning pleasure.

Happy Oswald Day!

https://www.amazon.com/Prayer-Man-Shadows-Into-Light/dp/1944205012/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Prayer-Man-Shadows-Into-Light&qid=1606146013&sr=8-2

http://www.prayer-man.com/

LHO was probably on the SBD front porch during the job.

20 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

Did you know that on Saturday morning, 11/22/63 JFK attended a breakfast in downtown FtW and the Texas Boys choir sang.  I think the doc said they began their performance with “The Eyes of Texas”.  I found that quite ironic...

my FIL was manager of the JC Penney store in downtown funkytown and stood 50 feet away during the speech.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

it always amazes me that one could be walking down a street in really any town/city and someone/something of historical significance has happened there, or lived there, etc.  Just blows me away.  I guess I’m a simpleton in that manner...

the TCP is one of the last commercial vestiges of Ancient Austin.  opened 1976.  my first visit was 1984 and when i was last in there 2 years ago the interior was exactly the same 35 years on.

the 3x is blazing hot even for a texan palate.  i go for the 2x.  they no longer have the illuminati ham and swiss on rye on the menu.

the back corner has a 2-top under a parking sign:

RESERVED

FOR

CLERGY

with a cute sticker in the lower corner.

joe bob says check it out.

"Can a bag of dicks" ???  Well Stoops just got excited to find out you can now get bagged dicks in the can, which last longer in times of pandemic. 

-------------------------------

Whatever happened to the Oswald sisters, particularly the one that lived here in Austin?  Basic google search has them going pretty much off the radar about 20-25 years ago, understandably so.  But seems like the one here in Austin was living a pretty normal life (albeit being hit on by you degenerates at Chili Parlor).  That is bizarre they kept that last name as long as they did.  Weird too that she worked so close to the place Kennedy was to have dinner that night in Austin.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

"Can a bag of dicks" ???  Well Stoops just got excited to find out you can now get bagged dicks in the can, which last longer in times of pandemic. 

-------------------------------

Whatever happened to the Oswald sisters, particularly the one that lived here in Austin?  Basic google search has them going pretty much off the radar about 20-25 years ago, understandably so.  But seems like the one here in Austin was living a pretty normal life (albeit being hit on by you degenerates at Chili Parlor).  That is bizarre they kept that last name as long as they did.  Weird too that she worked so close to the place Kennedy was to have dinner that night in Austin.  

Yeah keeping the name struck me as strange too.  It's not like he was a good father to her that she loved, she never knew the guy.   

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

They would be in their late 50s, probably married long ago and changed their names.

I know his widow remarried and lived I think somewhere in East Texas.  I remember once in a blue moon that she'd have some paparazzi type snap her photo coming out of a store or whatever, but she avoided publicity.

3 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Watching the video about Dr Duke reminded me about a buddy of mine who interviewed the trauma doc that attended to Kennedy - Robert McClelland 

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-query-and-schultz-27089669/episode/q-s-highlight-dr-robert-53022473/?cmp=ios_share&sc=ios_social_share&pr=false#

At a Rotary Club meeting in 2012 Dr. McClelland told a packed house "there was more than one shooter."  North Texas and national msm print and broadcast maintained a 100% embargo on the event.  The article has been removed from the local paper website.   Did his public statements later in life contradict testimony attributed to him that was cited by the WC?  Black is white, and white is black.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/18706-surgeon-recounts-jfk-operation/

http://mckinneysunriserotary.org/bulletins/Rotary032812order.pdf

43 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They would be in their late 50s, probably married long ago and changed their names.

I know his widow remarried and lived I think somewhere in East Texas.  I remember once in a blue moon that she'd have some paparazzi type snap her photo coming out of a store or whatever, but she avoided publicity.

Gun Barrel City

On 8/29/2019 at 11:38 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

indeed.  he was perfectly fine, then just fifty years later he suddenly dies in his sleep? 

Peter Griffin- "No, i'm not buying a used car. I knew a guy once who bought a used car then 10yrs later, BAM, herpes" 

On 11/22/2020 at 11:50 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Dr Red Duke walked up on me and a friend lighting cigs in Rice Village when we were obviously underage. Man, if looks could kill, or at least could make you quit smoking, we would have been dead or quit right then and there. Dude had gunfighter eyes.  

So did you two hooligans quit smoking or what?

On 11/23/2020 at 7:54 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

the TCP is one of the last commercial vestiges of Ancient Austin.  opened 1976.  my first visit was 1984 and when i was last in there 2 years ago the interior was exactly the same 35 years on.

the 3x is blazing hot even for a texan palate.  i go for the 2x.  they no longer have the illuminati ham and swiss on rye on the menu.

RESERVED

FOR

CLERGY

Joe Bob Briggs kept me sane when all the world around me was going crazy. Buddy of mine would clip Briggs' drive-in movie reviews and mail 'em to me when I was in the Navy. Felt a little bit like I was home. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

RESERVED

FOR

CLERGY

*twist and shout, check it out.

thanks for forcing me to rat hole for 2 hours on kennedy assassination shit.  still remember going to the place in Dealey that had the big table map of the limo route with blinking lights matched to the police audio and radio calls.  

oh and the JFK movie(fiction as it was but entertaining) is going to be 30 years old next year...

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

RESERVED

FOR

CLERGY

not to derail further, but...here goes..Oh, how I (along with thousands of others) truly miss “old” Austin. 

My last visit to Mad Dog & Beans was with my then, GF, now Wife. We were sitting there enjoying lunch and my wife’s jaw just drops, like wide open. I think to myself “oh shit. What did I say?”

All of the sudden some chic on a ten speed goes riding by in nothing but a pair of cutoffs and Converse 😂.  Fun bags were swinging in the wind. Hell, if she’d hit a bump she’d probably knocked herself out!  Classic.